Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Deacon_Frost

Can I please get some advice about Russian destroyers

13 comments in this topic

16 posts
2,348 battles

I am up to the Kiev, I have watched gameplay videos etc. They state that the dd  is not supposed to be played like a dd but more a mid range fighter and at higher tiers even further back with BB’s. I’m struggling with this as if I try to take it a bit slower or keep range my team is yelling at me in chat to go in and cap. My concealment is terrible and once I’m spotted I’m pretty much deleted straight away. Were these video guides wrong am I meant to play a different way or are my team mates not clued in on how to play this line? Also what do you do when your only 1 of 2 dd’s on your team? Surely you have to go for a cap but in doing so as above I’m not having any luck surviving.  I’m pretty thick skinned and mostly ignore random crap team chat but I’ve been getting reported for going in to cap and reported for trying to take it slow so can’t seem to win.

Sorry for formatting, I’m on my phone up at work.

Edited by Deacon_Frost

66 posts
874 battles

Your team is obv pressurizing you into doing something reckless - like sailing right into an ambush. All ships have their roles pre-defined in Wows guide.

DD - supposed to remain undetected as long as possible and sneak attack on bigger ships with torps

CV - no specific role but they use their speed and bigger guns to spam HE

BB -  snipe 

you're under no obligation to take orders from your team. Just keep doing what your ship is originally designed for. Its more fun that way 🙂

153 posts
2,864 battles

I remember yelling at my cruiser teammate because he was shooting AP at angled enemy BB, I thought that was so stupid, cruiser vs bb = bbq = HE.. you should use HE, what were you thinking etc.. that was until i realized... he was.. (yeah) an RN cruiser :fish_palm:

Point is: teammates who yell at you don't always right :cap_like:

Edited by zergling_

357 posts
6,119 battles
19 minutes ago, zergling_ said:

I remember yelling at my cruiser teammate because he was shooting AP at enemy BB, I thought that was so stupid, cruiser vs bb = bbq = HE.. what were you thinking etc.. that was until i realized.. that.. he was.. (yeah) an RN cruiser :fish_palm:

Point is: teammates who yell at you don't always right :cap_like:

US heavy cruisers with super heavy shells also do good work with AP, depending on where you hit and what angle the enemy is.

19 posts
4,580 battles

Taking a russian DD skews the match making, as you really do need to play it at range as a long range harassment gunboat. Your team may get salty because a DD slot is taken up by a ship that is poor for DD duties, but you have to ignore the salt. 

You can spot BB's and CA's, but don't try to contest CAP points until you know where all the red DD's are deployed. You can farm damage on red radar cruisers while open water gunboating, rendering their radar useless since you're spotted all the time anyway, and you're hard to hit at range.

If you can, get an engine boost upgrade from the arsenal and have engine boost running as you gunboat.

Some games you will lose for your team because you are the only DD on your flank and the reds get the CAP, but mostly you need to farm so much damage that the enemy wins the CAP but can't hold it midgame.

Edited by MeglaGnome
spelling

115 posts
279 battles

ah kamerad, HERE IS the EZ trick :

1. forget about cap or game objective

2. dont try to win the game

3. DESTROY AS MANY SHIP AS FAST AS POSSIBLE

4. commander perk : priority target >> last stand >> bla bla survivability (add HP) >> advance firing training >> concealment expert later = total 14 point

gameplay :

- throw 8km torpedo at cap when enemy DD try to cap

- CHOOSE WIDE OPEN AREA to get good manouver

- see a BB? spam HE until 2~3 fire , burn other ship as well

- dodge incoming shell with hard angling and your speed

DESTROY and DESTROYER

JUST DESTROY

trust me, if you fast enough to rekt enemies..... winning is easy

Super Tester
7,797 posts
8,043 battles
4 hours ago, Stormcloak_Rebel said:

you're under no obligation to take orders from your team. Just keep doing what your ship is originally designed for. Its more fun that way 🙂

That doesn't work these days.

You need to be able to respond quickly with changing situations. If you stick to original plans, you will lose the battle pretty fast.

86 posts
7,586 battles
4 hours ago, Deacon_Frost said:

I am up to the Kiev, I have watched gameplay videos etc. They state that the dd  is not supposed to be played like a dd but more a mid range fighter and at higher tiers even further back with BB’s. I’m struggling with this as if I try to take it a bit slower or keep range my team is yelling at me in chat to go in and cap. My concealment is terrible and once I’m spotted I’m pretty much deleted straight away. Were these video guides wrong am I meant to play a different way or are my team mates not clued in on how to play this line? Also what do you do when your only 1 of 2 dd’s on your team? Surely you have to go for a cap but in doing so as above I’m not having any luck surviving.  I’m pretty thick skinned and mostly ignore random crap team chat but I’ve been getting reported for going in to cap and reported for trying to take it slow so can’t seem to win.

Sorry for formatting, I’m on my phone up at work.

sometime one need to know to take orders, but sometime one need to know not to .. its all too easy to see people asking DD to do whatever they think its ( what they think , OK ) good for the team but fail to understand that it may or may not be possible and in many case suicidal for a DD. I play DD also .. and so many time when I am playing my soviet DD I got asked to do that and I had to reply to them if they can get the enemy into my 4/6KM torp range without them shooting at me or keep them away from the Areas outside of that might be 7 or even 8KM concealment then might be I can go in and cap but if not, then I had to stay out ... just as you've found out,  its not just soviet DD; any DD going in to cap is a risky business and it need the CA/Cl and even BB to go up to the Areas to force enemy off and in most cases this do not apply as all the guns want to do is staying way out and safely firing from cover. My take on that is if they do not push , a single DD simply will not succeed in doing so as long as enemies present there. So be patient and wait till situation allows or demands a retreat ( in which cases thee is no longer a question to go up front or not right )

It is a situation which develops as the mid to high tier BB and CA gain more fire power and ability to detect ( aka Radar , Hydro, air spotting ) it just made DD going up front a suicidal act. In the BB and CA's POV they only see the need for a DD up front to do the spotting, scouting, capping etc etc ... but often than not I see guns not providing the fire cover, fire support and generally unable to force enemies off. And if that being so then all a DD can do is stay out and at best long range fire ( which a soviet DD can do and actually do well if spec so ) and at worst just stay off being detected and sail along.

A living DD is always better than a dead one , if its in a situation where its basically impossible to cap , then do not do it, do what you can instead, whether its spamming HE , torp or just sail around spotting.

352 posts
4,906 battles
2 hours ago, Akyamarukh said:

HERE IS the EZ trick :

1. forget about cap or game objective

2. dont try to win the game

3. DESTROY AS MANY SHIP AS FAST AS POSSIBLE

This probably reads like joke advice to a lot of people, but it's 100% true: Let other guys rob the bank, your job is to hold off the police.

16 posts
2,348 battles

Thanks for all the advice, I agree I am being pressured but felt the need to help the team when in actual fact I just end up hindering them by dying early or needlessly. I currently have a 10 point captain and i did go for concealment expert first should I respec this or just take advanced fire training next available?

86 posts
7,586 battles
7 minutes ago, Deacon_Frost said:

Thanks for all the advice, I agree I am being pressured but felt the need to help the team when in actual fact I just end up hindering them by dying early or needlessly. I currently have a 10 point captain and i did go for concealment expert first should I respect this or just take advanced fire training next available?

its all up to you .. I tend to go for AFT first on Soviet DD; you cannot smart out concealment vs same tier DD from other nations and certainly won't help with Radar / Aerial spotting , so having the range for me is more important , in a fashion the soviet DD can be seen as a fast CL with small guns and no armor .. at high tier staying hidden / behind cover though is very important for DD as its all too often too easy to get simply cross fired upon and die quick. A ,ot of the time this is about positioning, not getting too p close up front instead of concealment. Today with so many Radar around even the best concealment simply do not help .. its one thing WG need to fix, they have basically broken the DD game-play by that

16 posts
2,348 battles

Agreed I have probably played most of my games which I know isn't a lot compared to others in DD's mostly IJN and US and it is quite groan inducing to see 3+ radar ships on the opposing team knowing it's either going to be a bait out the radar and run mission or a stalemate around the caps until your team can help reduce the radar ships. That 11km plus radar really makes me cry.

Super Tester
7,797 posts
8,043 battles

I found out that VMF DDs, IJN DDs and any other nations' DDs work in a bit of alternating manner.

For example, IJN DDs cannot usually force enemy DDs out except for the 3 gunboat ones, so while you try to contest cap early on, you do not really press that hard, instead you move out and force the supports away from cap, you come back to cap when its safer.

In a vmf DD, you spend the earlier part of the game trying to persuade enemy supports to move away. Although, you are not as safe as IJN DDs, since good players will nail you like no one's business. You contest cap at the later part of the game when the enemy team spread out wider or thinner.

Other DDs do the opposite way, cap earlier part of the game and farm damage later. For example, the fletcher games where I broke 200k few times, I had less than 20k before 10-12 minutes into the game, once you secure the cap, you move out to farm the fools.

Sign in to follow this