Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Odren

WV Captain Dusty Rodes

9 comments in this topic

[AJAX]
25 posts

Anything special about Dusty Rodes? Any bonus abilities that sets him apart from your run-of-the-mill captain?

[LBAS]
187 posts
4,021 battles

No idea. Nothing in the Wiki......

Which makes me ask, is the ship worth it?

I mean, as much as I loved Colorado, I was glad to move past it. Mostly because of the speed.

354 posts
13,212 battles

Hey another premium USN battleship what's not to like. Seriously though how about some more Commonwealth, Pan-Asian and Pan-American ships perhaps a few more Polish ships ole Blys is pretty lonely .... French DD line Italian's  

[AJAX]
25 posts
1 hour ago, ArchKongou said:

It just another regular captain, but some "gimmicks".

That's all.

What are his gimmicks? Thanks in advance!

[SEARN]
528 posts
8,078 battles

There was a Raleigh "Dusty Rhodes who was a USN fighter pilot during WW2 based on the USS Enterprise. He was also the third leader or the Blue Angels USN aerobatic flight team after the war.

Also there was a LCDR Francis Eugene Rhodes who went by the nickname "Dusty" during the Vietnam war, but I would say it is the WW2 guy. No clue as to why WG thinks a fighter pilot is a great captain for a BB? That's WG for you. :Smile_facepalm:

I cannot see any mention of any special skills for this commander either. I think he is special by name only.

230 posts
1,875 battles

Hi Guys.

The ship only seems to have one gimmick. When you press the horn key you hear the song "Country Roads". This song, (co written by John Denver) is a unofficial West Virginian anthem/theme song used at sporting events and other community activities. Rather like "Land down under" here in Australia.

"Dusty Rhodes" has no extra skills. The surname "Rhodes" appears fairly common in the States and "Dusty" is the common nickname for any one with that surname.

WG will have to enlighten us as to why they chose this name. I think it might be a play on the Country Roads theme. Well they wouldn't run into copyright issues with it. Who knows, they might have a member of staff on the NA server with the name "Dusty" Rhodes and he said ok.

Femmenennly takes the ship for a spin in this live stream:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYD1CBb1oSw

Cheers

Alex

PS I do not have this ship.

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

[SEARN]
528 posts
8,078 battles
1 hour ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

"Dusty Rhodes" has no extra skills. The surname "Rhodes" appears fairly common in the States and "Dusty" is the common nickname for any one with that surname.

WG will have to enlighten us as to why they chose this name. I think it might be a play on the Country Roads theme. Well they wouldn't run into copyright issues with it. Who knows, they might have a member of staff on the NA server with the name "Dusty" Rhodes and he said ok.

The other thing (according to the NA forum) is that the name Dusty Rhodes is mocking the fact that the infrastructure of West Virginia and the spending on infrastructure a was a bit lacking for many years. There were not a huge amount of sealed roads other than major highways and major arterial roads, so they had many dirt roads. IE: Dusty Rhodes. 

Like you say Alex it might very well be a play on the song which is the ships horn. Country roads, dirt roads, dusty roads. Who knows.

Sign in to follow this