Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

152mm vs Forts

7 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,240 posts
9,366 battles

In Killer Whale, you have to kill numerous forts.

In DDs HE seems the only option and that's fine, I do a little bit of damage, just chipping away.

In BBs of course you just delete them from any range if RNGesus is kind to you with your AP aim.

And 203mm cruisers have as little problem as BBs using AP on the forts. Pensacola can delete a fort in one salvo - should RNGesus be willing.

But when it comes to my 152mm cruisers, Leander, Dallas, Perth, AP seems all but ineffective.

Dallas and Perth can hit them for reasonable damage with HE but Leander struggles.

But I watched someone else in Leander smash them hard on one battle.

I got very close in Leander the other day and I seemed to get 3k per hit, but you don't want to be close to those forts - an early fire can be annoying but is this the answer? Close range allows 152mm AP to pen?

I don't know if it's my imagination, but if I carefully aim at what seems to be the fort's roof slab, I seem to get 3k hits from any range?

Is that a weak spot on forts?

322 posts
1,247 battles

Yes, i was playing KW with Dallas and La Gali, l landed a perfect AP salvo with good groupings and end up dealing zero damage fort in 8KM range. But within 5KM range, your AP actually gonna work, i peel off 12K health of the Fort with AP shells. 

Beta Tester
1,240 posts
9,366 battles
35 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

Yes, i was playing KW with Dallas and La Gali, l landed a perfect AP salvo with good groupings and end up dealing zero damage fort in 8KM range. But within 5KM range, your AP actually gonna work, i peel off 12K health of the Fort with AP shells. 

Mmm. I guessed range was a component.

357 posts
6,109 battles

Yeah, Jingles(?) did a vid on it a while ago. BBs are fine with AP, CA’s cope ok, so long as their not max range. CLs need to either get at point blank range, or just use HE, which is more effective. Leander is a problem, as it’s semi AP isn’t enough unless you do get to point blank range, and it lack HE. So best to hope your allies deal with them.

CVs can only hit them with bombs, but should avoid forts completely until allies take them down. They have serious AA.

Beta Tester
1,240 posts
9,366 battles
24 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Yeah, Jingles(?) did a vid on it a while ago. BBs are fine with AP, CA’s cope ok, so long as their not max range. CLs need to either get at point blank range, or just use HE, which is more effective. Leander is a problem, as it’s semi AP isn’t enough unless you do get to point blank range, and it lack HE. So best to hope your allies deal with them.

CVs can only hit them with bombs, but should avoid forts completely until allies take them down. They have serious AA.

Oh, ok cool.

And yeah their AA is savage AF.

[TF44]
45 posts
8,685 battles

Max,

You can hit Forts with Leander as long as you are within 8 km.

Place the top of your Aiming Recticle slightly below (1mm or a bee's dick) the top of the structure. If the Gun(s) are mounted on top, aim at the fortified base of the emplacement. Again place the top of your Aiming Recticle slightly below the top of the structure.

Two further points:

1. You will notice the Terrain Warning appears in Aim view for no apparent reason. If it does move your aim point slightly left or right to clear it. Don't waste a salvo if it is present. I don't know why this happens but it does.
  2. Take the time to track the first salvo to see how the dispersion is affecting your hits. Obviously adjust accordingly.

For Aircraft hangers aim at the front fascia at the top of the hanger opening. Other structures do not seem to require specific aim adjustment.

Note: It usually takes 8 shot salvos to completely destroy structures with Leander AP. 4-6 shots of HE from other CA/CL will usually do the trick

Cheers

Beta Tester
1,240 posts
9,366 battles
6 minutes ago, Taipan17 said:

Max,

You can hit Forts with Leander as long as you are within 8 km.

Place the top of your Aiming Recticle slightly below (1mm or a bee's dick) the top of the structure. If the Gun(s) are mounted on top, aim at the fortified base of the emplacement. Again place the top of your Aiming Recticle slightly below the top of the structure.

Two further points:

1. You will notice the Terrain Warning appears in Aim view for no apparent reason. If it does move your aim point slightly left or right to clear it. Don't waste a salvo if it is present. I don't know why this happens but it does.
  2. Take the time to track the first salvo to see how the dispersion is affecting your hits. Obviously adjust accordingly.

For Aircraft hangers aim at the front fascia at the top of the hanger opening. Other structures do not seem to require specific aim adjustment.

Note: It usually takes 8 shot salvos to completely destroy structures with Leander AP. 4-6 shots of HE from other CA/CL will usually do the trick

Cheers

Thanks yeah. I'm good with destroying other targets but the forts had me head scratching - especially as I thought I had seen a Leander delete a fort when I struggled to with same ship.

You have just confirmed what I thought was a good aiming point.

Cheers!

Edited by Max_Battle

Sign in to follow this