Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Paladinum

Salem or Alaska?

18 comments in this topic

173 posts
5,037 battles

As I'm closing in 180k Coal to get Salem (with a coupon), and it's pretty clear that Alaska will come in patch 0.8.0 (replacing Kronstadt, it's on 0.7.11 patch note). I also have 1 mil free xp right now and I want to free xp several ship modules, well, a lot of ship modules actually (and maybe one or two ships).

My only question is "Does Salem cash in good amount of credit?" I can figure how to play a Des Moist on my own.

Thank in advance, captains :Smile_honoring:

PS. Please don't ask "why not Musashi". I don't like most BBs in this game. Definitely NOT a Yamato.

265 posts
4,731 battles

I will go for Alaska because Salem is a similar ship to Des Moines (which I have with permanent camo). So I don't think I will play Salem often if I get it. Furthermore, I want more variety of ships in port. Alaska will require a different play style because the ship is different, rather than having a similar ship, why not a different ship?

Thus I will go for Alaska.

Beta Tester
629 posts
6,908 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

"Does Salem cash in good amount of credit?"

No.  Unlike every other premium it doesn't have a premium credit modifier.  That means it earns the same amount of credits as a tech tree T10.  It does come with a T10 permacamo though, so at least that will give you a few more credits.

It is also very similar to the DM.  So if you love the DM and like the sound of one with a super heal but crappy radar then Salem is probably for you.  It sounds awful to me (as does the DM itself), but each to their own, many people seem to love these ships.

173 posts
5,037 battles

Thanks for all the responses! So Alaska it is then...

@Gummilicious I can't wait until 0.8.0 and WG throw me a wrench in the face by announcing a German free xp ship (something I've been waiting for since Musashi was revealed). Maybe I should wait until that happens. Come on WG, Germany was the FOURTH nation in this game to have a full tech tree!

@GRADAN31 I don't have Des Moist but I'm like 15k xp away until researching her with my Buff. What you brought up is reasonable: different playstyle.

@Moggytwo that's sad. That is really sad. I need a high-tier cred printer. Dude of Yokes doesn't suffice, as my Hindy with signals and camos does MUCH better, and I LOVE that ship. I do not have Des Moist myself.

Maybe I should get BOTH? I mean besides Salem, I have no interest in any other Coal ship... Not a BB player and there isn't a T9 Coal DD or cruiser in the Arsenal...

Edited by Paladinum

696 posts
7,520 battles

I don't have the Salem, but I do play DM. I think the main difference between the both (plus point for Salem) is Salem repair party cool down much faster. But DM/Salem aren't supposed to tank that much in the first place and to me that  advantage over DM isn't that attractive (on top of the shorter range radar on Salem)

Another similar example for me is Richelieu vs Jean Bart. I don't fair that well in French BB (Richelieu and Republique) compared to US/IJN/KM, making me very reluctant to buy Jean Bart. 

Yeah, so far I don't buy Salem.. Might keep the coal/free xp for Alaska if the review turns out promising.

1,390 posts
9,089 battles

It is possible that you might be able to get both.

Salem is currently available for coal. We don't know how Alaska will be obtainable but people are speculating that it will be available via free xp. In that case you can get both.

Just wait until a few days before the coupon expires before making a decision. That is what I am planning to do too. Hopefully we will get an answer on how Alaska will be available.

But if you have to pick, my choice would be Alaska. Alaska offers a different playstyle, while Salem is very similar to Des Moines.

[TLS]
Beta Tester
694 posts
3,645 battles

Alaska is best suggested, Its superior than Kronstadht in terms of better BOFORS and 127mm Dual Purpose.

Salem is lesser AA than Des memes is. But now ppl was thinking to get Alaska .

173 posts
5,037 battles
8 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

It is possible that you might be able to get both.

That's the thing. Even if Alaska needs 1 mil free xp, I have that (absurd) amount of it. Alaska may be the same as Krons where she'd be available in free xp and Coal.

And if I buy Salem (with Coal) I don't have to buy Des Moist (with credit). Like I've said, I'm only 15k xp away from Des Moist in my Buffalo. And I need my creds for other tech tree ships.

BTW if the coupon expires it will be replaced by a new one every 2 patches or so. In the Arsenal right now I only care about Salem.

Edited by Paladinum

173 posts
5,037 battles
9 hours ago, Darkworld_2015 said:

But DM/Salem aren't supposed to tank that much in the first place and to me that  advantage over DM isn't that attractive (on top of the shorter range radar on Salem)

Ha. I'm a cruiser main but when needed, I play them like German BBs. All of them. Probably because I'm a German main.

Beta Tester
1,198 posts
9,332 battles
14 hours ago, Paladinum said:

it's pretty clear that Alaska will come in patch 0.8.0 (replacing Kronstadt, it's on 0.7.11 patch note).

Linky please.

173 posts
5,037 battles
45 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Linky please.

Well I may have been too sure of that, but 0.7.11 patch note says that Musushi and Krons will be removed from the free xp roster and Arsenal in patch 0.8.0.

And the only possible replacement for Krons is Alaska. JB may be the replacement for Musushi, as Musushi was the replacement for Big Mo (it was).

Edited by Paladinum

696 posts
7,520 battles
13 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Ha. I'm a cruiser main but when needed, I play them like German BBs. All of them. Probably because I'm a German main.

I love German BBs XD. Tirpitz was my second Premium back in 2015 ( after Warspite, that was because it's Royal Navy, and... eyah it's cheaper XD ) First line I completed was German Cruiser, then second completed line was German BBs 

173 posts
5,037 battles
2 hours ago, HumbleMumble said:

but honestly, why not both? 

If only Alaska is available for free xp, like Krons and Musushi... I can get both, unless there is a Coal ship that catches my interest more than a prem Des Moist. 

[LN]
154 posts
10,288 battles
On 11/27/2018 at 3:59 PM, Paladinum said:

If only Alaska is available for free xp, like Krons and Musushi... I can get both, unless there is a Coal ship that catches my interest more than a prem Des Moist. 

buy the Salem is still way cheaper than buy 5k db premium camo for Des Moines, imo. If you can play Des Moines well, then Salem is just a worse radar version of it.

173 posts
5,037 battles

UPDATE:

Turns out I can seriously farm credit with Salem... Even with four slots of premium consumables... No prem camo 90k (mind = blown), prem camo 45k (wtf). Total post-battle would be about 150k (45k service cost + 90k consumables + 10-20k ammo) which would profit me more because of 20% more credit from her prem camo and 20-145% more credit from signal flags (Zulu 20%, Scylla 25%, Leviathan 20% and Wyvern 50%). Pretty sure I'm decent enough to score an average of 70k damage in a Des Moist. On Hindenburg my lowest damage score is about 50k.

Why I only notice this to-day???

hdhgfhdfj.JPG

Sign in to follow this