Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bex_o7

The new player experience

13 comments in this topic

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
447 posts
15,492 battles

So I’ve made a new account on SEA under a pseudonym as I’ve maxed out all lines (bar CVs) to test out the new player experience and replay the RU DD line as the low tier ones were such fun first time around.

I really think WG have done a great job of making the game really fun for new players. Every other game you’re ranking up and unlocking new abilities from signals to camo and captains to upgrades. All the while enjoying the devil may care low tier play style.

At tiers 2, 3 and 4 I frequently found myself in games with more bots than humans - with some pretty hilarious results... WcR2YAY.png 

...and then I found myself at Tier V with an A hull Podvoisky and a 4 point captain fighting Atlantas, Scharnhorsts and the like.

Now, I’m a very experienced player and I found the going extremely tough. I can only imagine how someone with fewer than 50 games may feel going from being highly effective to borderline useless. Being dropped into tier 7 matches happened three games straight and all I could think was how quickly the initial positive experience had degraded into an entirely frustrating one.

This cannot be good for player retention and War Gaming should seriously consider preferential match making for new players to prevent people from just table flipping and walking away.

1,400 posts
9,131 battles

I have always said there is a huge spike in the WoWs learning curve at around  tiers 4-5.

Suddenly you are fighting ships two tiers higher than you, armour and angling start to matter, CVs start appearing, BBs get a lot more accurate, etc.

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
447 posts
15,492 battles
5 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

I have always said there is a huge spike in the WoWs learning curve at around  tiers 4-5.

Suddenly you are fighting ships two tiers higher than you, armour and angling start to matter, CVs start appearing, BBs get a lot more accurate, etc.

Not to mention hydro and radar...

101 posts
5,316 battles

...QUOTE...  "I can only imagine how someone with fewer than 50 games may feel going from being highly effective to borderline useless. Being dropped into tier 7 matches "

someone with less than 50 games shouldn't be in tier 7 matches...end of story 

116 posts
3,114 battles
1 hour ago, chicony56 said:

...QUOTE...  "I can only imagine how someone with fewer than 50 games may feel going from being highly effective to borderline useless. Being dropped into tier 7 matches "

He is saying a new guy buys a tier 5 ship and MM "drops" him in with T7 ships.

357 posts
6,119 battles
2 hours ago, chicony56 said:

Tell that to WG.

357 posts
6,119 battles
10 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

That, and a lot of the more experienced player base hangs around that level, with ships like Atlanta, Sims, Belfast. Players who likely have T8 to 10 ships, but use that level to grind captains and credits, or just have fun without the pressure of a T10 match, or the annoyance of being up tiered to a T10 in a Tier 8.

[1NATN]
288 posts
5,380 battles

Also, people regularly (or used to at least) get given a Texas just for joining the game. 

Beta Tester
1,240 posts
9,366 battles

If I can play Devil's for a moment...

It took me a LONG time to understand some things now that I find basic knowledge or just kind of do sub-consciously.

I can be a bit of a slow learner but I still remember the feeling of staring at my sinking ship, slowly blinking and wondering what the hell happened.

Some of those experiences encouraged me to learn and understand because blinking/sinking is not the best way to enjoy the game!

I guess I am suggesting that a steep learning curve might just encourage people to buy some pitons...

(I'm not arguing strongly for this, just a thought).

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
447 posts
15,492 battles
42 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

If I can play Devil's for a moment...

It took me a LONG time to understand some things now that I find basic knowledge or just kind of do sub-consciously.

I can be a bit of a slow learner but I still remember the feeling of staring at my sinking ship, slowly blinking and wondering what the hell happened.

Some of those experiences encouraged me to learn and understand because blinking/sinking is not the best way to enjoy the game!

I guess I am suggesting that a steep learning curve might just encourage people to buy some pitons...

(I'm not arguing strongly for this, just a thought).

There’s steep and there’s a cliff. Facing tier 7s in a poorly equipped tier 5 with a rudimentary Captain is going to be, for the most part, unenjoyable. 

To be clear, when I call for preferential match making for new players I’m just suggesting -/+ 1 instead of 2. They’re still going to have a trial by fire but at least they’ll have a fighting chance.

Beta Tester
1,240 posts
9,366 battles
1 minute ago, Bex_o7 said:

There’s steep and there’s a cliff. Facing tier 7s in a poorly equipped tier 5 with a rudimentary Captain is going to be, for the most part, unenjoyable. 

To be clear, when I call for preferential match making for new players I’m just suggesting -/+ 1 instead of 2. They’re still going to have a trial by fire but at least they’ll have a fighting chance.

I have long agreed with +/- 1 Tier MM.

There would still be blinking/sinking.

But I have long agreed with +/-1 Tier MM.

Sign in to follow this