You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Pulveron

Yamato

40 comments in this topic

[X-MAN]
38 posts
8,619 battles

What a letdown.  To me this amazing ship has been reduced to one that acts like a T8 with armour of a T6.  Despite the accuracy of its design (which is truly amazing by WoW), despite what has been supposedly put into this ship, it is disappointing.  Just in one first-hand account, the book 'Requiem for Battleship Yamato' is an excellent portrayal of what the ship was like, and to then trial it here - man, it is the total opposite of what the Yamato was like.  In fact the Rasputin in Halloween is more accurate to a Yamato battleship, and the Montana is more accurately designed than the Yamato, which, in my opinion, gives the Montana an advantage in the game (this is just an example - I don't want a discussion on the differences between these ships). 

It's truly worth reading when one understands how one anti-aircraft round, as the author describes, could down a squadron of fighters (apparently it did so), and one round would sink a ship.  As I have assumed before, here in a game, it's not really appropriate to have a ship do that, so for parity, a few sacrifices are made in its design.  But too much has been sacrificed to reduce the Yamato to a ship that performs way below what I expected to see in it, as a T10. I wonder if anyone else has a knowledge of the Yamato, it's history and performance, and can see what I am talking about?  It appears my expectations, based on WoW's information as to what to expect in this ship in this game, has been let down a little.  With all that the designers do and put into the accuracy and design of the ships in this game, which makes it a stand-out game, they have missed the mark, in my opinion, in the performance of this ship. It's great to have it and use it, but the expected performance is something that I believe could be improved.  As I said, T8 ships appear better than the Yamato at T10. 

[LNA]
1,696 posts
10,543 battles

This is a game not a sim.

If you want a sim , join the navy.

If you want to be OP in a Yamato , buy WG.

Yamato is a very powerful ship right now , you are the playing it wrong , when the captain is inexperience , so is the ship.

The armour have raw thickness , with proper angling , you are pretty AP proof , not to mention you have the best torpedo defence in the game.

The ship is meant to be a seige artillery , if some one get to the side , you are toast. This ship hard counter most heavy cruisers and battleship minus the Conkek , you really think again.

173 posts
5,037 battles
29 minutes ago, Pulveron said:

As I said, T8 ships appear better than the Yamato at T10. 

Let us agree to disagree. Yamato is the bane of any ship. I always question the decision to put a Yamato as a T9 ship (her sister Musashi).

Let's see.

460 mm guns. Larger than any other gun in the game, aside from her own sister ship. Thank to that, bow tank against Yamato is mostly impossible. Also the best sigma value and stock firing range in the game.

410 mm armor belt. Thicker than any other ship in the game. Vulnerable at the weird "cheek" shaped citadel, but generally resistant to any other thing. 

50% torpedo damage reduction. Only a gimmicked ship like Alabama has the same value. So far, no ship is better.

AA power is as much as one would expect from a historical Japanese (battle)ship. Meh at best.

I wonder why Yamato (and Montana) remains relevant all these years with 3 other BB lines from release, and the ship still is one hell of a monster to fight against.

29 minutes ago, Pulveron said:

a T8 with armour of a T6

Sorry but that can't be more wrong.

Edited by Paladinum

[MEGA]
4,664 posts
17,926 battles
46 minutes ago, Pulveron said:

What a letdown.  To me this amazing ship has been reduced to one that acts like a T8 with armour of a T6.  Despite the accuracy of its design (which is truly amazing by WoW), despite what has been supposedly put into this ship, it is disappointing.  Just in one first-hand account, the book 'Requiem for Battleship Yamato' is an excellent portrayal of what the ship was like, and to then trial it here - man, it is the total opposite of what the Yamato was like.  In fact the Rasputin in Halloween is more accurate to a Yamato battleship, and the Montana is more accurately designed than the Yamato, which, in my opinion, gives the Montana an advantage in the game (this is just an example - I don't want a discussion on the differences between these ships). 

It's truly worth reading when one understands how one anti-aircraft round, as the author describes, could down a squadron of fighters (apparently it did so), and one round would sink a ship.  As I have assumed before, here in a game, it's not really appropriate to have a ship do that, so for parity, a few sacrifices are made in its design.  But too much has been sacrificed to reduce the Yamato to a ship that performs way below what I expected to see in it, as a T10. I wonder if anyone else has a knowledge of the Yamato, it's history and performance, and can see what I am talking about?  It appears my expectations, based on WoW's information as to what to expect in this ship in this game, has been let down a little.  With all that the designers do and put into the accuracy and design of the ships in this game, which makes it a stand-out game, they have missed the mark, in my opinion, in the performance of this ship. It's great to have it and use it, but the expected performance is something that I believe could be improved.  As I said, T8 ships appear better than the Yamato at T10. 

learn to play the ship effectively? there's a million yamato guides out there

[TLS]
Beta Tester
694 posts
3,645 battles
48 minutes ago, Pulveron said:

There's billion of guides bruh.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,316 posts
3 hours ago, Pulveron said:

tenor.gif?itemid=12339594

1,050 posts
7,755 battles

I guess other ships shot back at him and damaged the paint on his brand new Yamato. Then he started crying and got really upset because *he* was meant to be the strongest and meanest ship in the battle. After he stopped crying, he wrote the post.

[SEARN]
528 posts
8,078 battles
11 hours ago, Pulveron said:

Biggest guns in game that can overmatch 32mm. check. Best main gun BB sigma. check. Thickest main belt armour. check. Best torpedo belt. check. Recent turret rotation buff. check.

Ummm yeah sounds pretty terrible to me too. In case you are actually serious...…. :Smile_amazed:

To play Yamato well you need to know 4 VERY basic things.

Overmatch mechanics: Your 460mm guns will overmatch 32mm of bow and stern plating. Only ships in the game that can do this. Try to avoid other Yamato/Musashi as they can do the same to you.

Angling: Angle but never use your rear turret unless you know for sure you can angle back in before you get shot at. If you are angling against BB and using your rear turret all the time you are showing too much broadside and will no doubt be taking citadels.

Ships armour profiles: You don't need to remember every value of every armour plate on every ship, but you do need to know what you can shoot through the bow and citadel and know what will troll you with thicker bow armour such as GKF and Moskva..... etc. Learn where to aim and enjoy the results.

Positioning: Avoid being in a crossfire from guns that can pen you at all costs. You have a huge above water citadel. Try to avoid other Yamato/Musashi as you cannot angle against your own guns obviously. Your armour is amazing when angled properly against smaller guns but when flattened out it will take AP pens just like any other ship.

That's it. Just checked and Yamato is still my highest performing BB, in terms of Damage done and ships/planes killed. I prefer the gameplay of Republique and Montana (heck even Conqueror), but I still do better in Yamato. That's more down to how good the ship is and not me:cap_like:

Edited by HobartAWD

[SEARN]
528 posts
8,078 battles
6 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

The more Pulveron posts I read, the more certain I am he is a troll.

Maybe another Sharkbait alternate account...…….. just the one where punctuation is allowed :Smile-_tongue:

Beta Tester
1,198 posts
9,332 battles
8 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Maybe another Sharkbait alternate account...…….. just the one where punctuation is allowed :Smile-_tongue:

batgif.gif

[X-MAN]
38 posts
8,619 battles

Wow, interesting responses.  Amazing what the moderators allow here.  The responses are from the same people who keep criticizing whoever they don't agree with (I reckon your a tag team lol).   I take it you're all in each other pockets.  But let me answer in kind:

HobartAWD, just received your reply.  Thanks for the info, you've given me some good tips for the game - appreciate it.  But I was really speaking about the Yamato compared to what the ship was actually like, its' strengths and performance.  I like the ship as much as you do.  It's one of my better performing BB as well.  Bit sad about the last comment, thought you were above all the meems here.

Paladinum, thanks for the reply.  the statistics of the ship are pretty amazing, and in considering all that I thought the ship might be a little stronger.  I've had pretty good results with the Yamato in the games, but it seems under powered and under protected compared to a couple of my T8s.  I still think it's more along the line of a T8/9 in its performance, but thanks for your opinion. 

Potatus, that's what I thought at first, an ok ship, and I wanted it to be more.  Maybe because I know a little about the ship it's had an effect on my judgement a little. 

PeterMoe/LawrenceXVIII/drakon233/legionary - I'm not sure where you are coming from?  I'm not talking about the game or strategy, but about the ship its power and strength, and the comparison of what the actual Yamato was like compared to the so-called similar one in the game.  I take it you guys have had a pretty rough time, unable to understand or read what's in front of you, but that's okay, we can't all be literate.  You must be hurt Peter, getting personal like that - and you misread what I said.  I think you can't wait for a post of mine just so you can bait me.  Can I suggest if you cant accept that there are people who differ in opinion with you, you don't respond when you feel so frustrated.  You don't have to like me, but don't make it so obvious, it says a lot about you. 

Bex, not sure where you're coming from either.  But I'll tell you what, if you don't like my posts don't read them.  I suspect I now know what a troll is.

I think that's my last reply to this post - since it appears the moderators allow the game rules to be violated. 

Beta Tester
1,198 posts
9,332 battles
7 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

The more Pulveron posts I read, the more certain I am he is a troll.

Three things...

1. I know I am being a pedant but when you drag bait slowly behind your boat to catch fish, then you are said to be trolling. Somehow this act of dangling posts in front of people to get a bite has changed from "trolling" (an act) to being said to be a "troll" (a monster). Not picking on you. I understand the parlance has changed. Just commenting :Smile_glasses:

2. Poe's Law has a lot to answer for. 

3. Yep. Prolly 😛

Beta Tester
1,198 posts
9,332 battles
32 minutes ago, Pulveron said:

Amazing what the moderators allow here.  The responses are from the same people who keep criticizing whoever they don't agree with (I reckon your a tag team lol).   I take it you're all in each other pockets.

Allowed what? What forum rules have been broken?

The right to express yourself is not the same as the right to be agreed with.

It's not against the forum rules to say, "I think you are wrong".

"Same people"?

Everyone who plays the game doesn't engage in the forums. There is a relatively small number of people who read/respond here. That doesn't make it a conspiracy.

Personal note:

I too have made some angry posts here. There have been/are aspects of the game that have/do frustrate me. I get it, somethings that aren't what you expect can piss you off. I get it. I do. But my personal experience is that many of the people here have good experience that they are all too willing to share and if you treat this forum like a source of information rather than a source of confirmation bias, you may learn something and enjoy the game more.

451 posts
12 hours ago, Pulveron said:

From someone who has never played the ship, only against it.

If the captain does not play it well, it will die easily.

If the captain plays it well, $#$^^!!!!!! BB monster! 

Hate those captains on the other side, please play only on my team.

[SEARN]
528 posts
8,078 battles
2 hours ago, Pulveron said:

Wow, interesting responses.  Amazing what the moderators allow here.  The responses are from the same people who keep criticizing whoever they don't agree with (I reckon your a tag team lol).   I take it you're all in each other pockets.  But let me answer in kind:

HobartAWD, just received your reply.  Thanks for the info, you've given me some good tips for the game - appreciate it.  But I was really speaking about the Yamato compared to what the ship was actually like, its' strengths and performance.  I like the ship as much as you do.  It's one of my better performing BB as well.  Bit sad about the last comment, thought you were above all the meems here.

While I do agree that some on this forum have a very monotone response to everything, it is a forum where we all have the right to an opinion. You don't have to agree with it, but you need to respect that just like you have yours, that others are entitled to theirs. If you only want responses that make you feel better or 100% agree with you,  you won't find that looking on a WOWS forum. 

Were the Yamato and Musashi the most powerful single battleships ever made? Yes. Absolutely. However the power of these ships, must be taken into the context of the actual situation at the time. Facts removed from context can be very misleading. In context they were heading out on a mission, without adequate fuel to return, to stop the US Naval forces approaching Japan with Yamato, 1 CL and 8 DD and no air cover other than roughly 100 kamikaze aircraft. They were against 11 CV, 6 BB, 11 Cruisers and 30+ DDs. They knew they were not going to be sailing home. The first hand memories of a young ensign serving on the bridge describing his crew and ship being destroyed in no way reveal the power these ships had if properly employed and under different circumstances.  

Yamato was sunk while being focus fired upon by a massive combined force of carrier based aircraft, with little useful support from their own fleet. They did not have a chance to prove how strong they could have been. As a result the major weaknesses of the BB were exploited. These are BB weaknesses in general and not specific to Yamato/Musashi. HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse anyone? Hypothetically they could have had much more of an impact on certain battles but they were not employed often due to circumstances and they didn't. 

In game I find it works the same way too. If you are unsupported or focused and unable to disengage you die. So as far as you wanting to compare Yamato/Musashi in real life to bad experiences in game, I'm sorry but I don't see any huge difference.

In game Yamato does perform very well and is a very powerful BB in the right hands. I hope you can get it to work for you in the future.

BTW: When you talk earlier about 1 shell taking out a group of aircraft you must be talking about the San Shiki or beehive AA shells made for the 460mm main guns. Very scary and powerful AA weapon but they were rarely used due to the copper bands on the 460mm shells being incorrectly manufactured and damaging the 460mm guns rifling. 

Edited by HobartAWD

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
440 posts
15,396 battles
2 hours ago, Pulveron said:

Bex, not sure where you're coming from either.  But I'll tell you what, if you don't like my posts don't read them.  I suspect I now know what a troll is.

I didn’t say I didn’t like it, I just found it hard to believe you were serious. The Yamato is, after all, a demonstrably powerful ship both in game and historically. As such, your post seemed like you were baiting for a reaction because the premise was outrageous. It’s pretty standard troll fare.

[LBAS]
4,579 posts
26,002 battles
4 minutes ago, Lowyat said:

ironically we cant have uchuu senkan yamato events anymore due to copyright.:cap_old:

hope, the only thing we can do :cap_look:

Moon+landing.jpg

329 posts
6,052 battles
1 hour ago, Lowyat said:

ironically we cant have uchuu senkan yamato events anymore due to copyright.:cap_old:

I’ve yet to work out why they are so intense regarding the copyright. It reflects well on them.

You would think that they would be happy that their work is so meme worthy.

[R0GUE]
179 posts
7,551 battles

Funny how someone argued in another topic, saying BB with longer gun range has unfair advantage over other BB. Now the same person trash talk about the BB that has longest gun range of the whole game. 

Damn, just wasted my 5 mins replying to this.🤮