You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Unique Commanders - how do YOU use them?

17 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,065 posts
9,210 battles

What ships do you use your Unique Commanders on and why?

I'm just going through sorting my small handful of commanders and trying to asses the best way to use them. I haven't done much "permanent allocation" of them yet but would like to get them respecced and retrained to their best fit.

I know this can be a personal choice question and I'm sure for many unique commanders there is no one perfect choice.

So, I'd be interested to know how others have used their unique commanders, why and if you think they are effective, or even indispensable on the ships you have put them on.

1,381 posts
9,045 battles

Yamamoto and Halsey are sitting in my port, partly because I don't want to commit them to a ship or a build as of yet and partly because I just don't like the idea of unique captains with special skills.

In fact most of my unique captains are sitting in port, with the exception of Jack Dunkirk and the two French Honore captains .

Jack Dunkirk is sitting on my Lion currently and will move up to the Conqueror when I get it. I feel his buffed EM and JoaT would be useful on those ships, due to their slow turret traverse and the high cooldown on the Repair Party.

The two Honore captains are on my Saint Louis and Alsace, and will move up to the Tier 10 ships when I finish the grind. However I am thinking of respeccing the Alsace one when a discount comes along, as I think the buffed AR and EM might be better suited for a future French DD line, if the Aigle and Le Terrible are of any indication. Plus I am wanting to try a secondary build on the Republique (I love secondary builds). :cap_rambo:

263 posts
1,169 battles

My Bert Dunkirk sitting on KGV after my QE sold. Initially he was on Queen Elizabeth, because of his improved EM skill can reduce the painfully 72 second slow turret traverse.  

And Alex Overchecking still in Orlan, i havent grinding any Soviet Ships yet. 

Super Tester
7,715 posts
8,025 battles

Only the ones I have:

IJN

Yamamoto Isoroku - Yamato. Buffs: PM, EM). While PM has no use on Yamato, EM is a must, especially with legendary mod.

US

Alexander Ovechkin - Gearing. Buffs: EM, SE. While SE buff is nice to have, you can't utilize EM. Very suitable for DM / Wooster in CW builds, cause you can use SE on cruisers in CW.

William Halsey - Montana. Buffs: EL, EM. Easier to get the main buff that comes from getting confederate. DM/Wooster could use him as well, but its significantly harder to get confederate in those.

John Doe - DM/Salem. Buffs: EL, EM. Since Halsey is already in Monty, why not use the other one for DM.

VMF

Alexander Ovechkin - Kiev, Lelingrad. Buffs: EM, SE. This captain is good for VMF gunboat line. Although for Tashkent and Khaba you will only use SE. Since they do not need EM.

Viktor Zalmansky - Kronshtadt. Buffs: PM, EM, HA. Good for Stalingrad, Kronshtadt, Moskva, and Low tier VMF BBs.

KM

Franz Von Jutland - Bismarck. Buffs: JoAT, Vigil. I think KM DDs can put it to better use cause they have a good number of consumables which JoAT could help with. Vigilance is overall an useless skill, but if you can manage spare points, might work. Especially on something like GK/Hindy.

UK

Jack Dunkirk - Monarch. Buffs: JoAT, EM, SSE. SSE is a useless skill, might be useful with UK DDs now. UK BBs can put EM to good use especially at mid high tiers. I will probably switch it to DD captain.

Bart Dunkirk - Belfast. Buffs: JoAT, EM, SSE. Dedicated captain for belfast. For the luls.

MN

Jean Jacques Honore - Richeliu. Buffs: EM, AR. This is a BB captain, or may be usable on Henri 4 too.

Beta Tester
1,065 posts
9,210 battles
21 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

KM

Franz Von Jutland - Bismarck. Buffs: JoAT, Vigil. I think KM DDs can put it to better use cause they have a good number of consumables which JoAT could help with. Vigilance is overall an useless skill, but if you can manage spare points, might work. Especially on something like GK/Hindy.

Hmm. That Vigilance question again...

Super Tester
7,715 posts
8,025 battles
3 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Hmm. That Vigilance question again...

Devs need to buff or rework that skill so that it is actually useful. That skill has no use for experienced players.

[KGHSF]
3,247 posts
6,175 battles
On 11/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, icy_phoenix said:

MN

Jean Jacques Honore

Use for my Jean Bart and the RPB for the next future

1,050 posts
7,704 battles

Out of the top of my head, I don't know which ones I have and on what ship. When I get a special commander, i review the bumped skills and see if it makes sense to move them to a particular ship.

I wish there would be a module that allowed managing the captains of 150+ ships more easily.

108 posts
3,033 battles

I have only 3. Two British which are on premium DD and BB at this stage. I can build them up to 19 by using him on Gallant and Cossack, and once he is at 19 I can then transfer the XP to the Warspite.

John doe (US) is also on premium DD ( I have another 19 captain on the "premium" ships, but he is a fully AA built). JD is currently 17 and built middle of the road, so can I use him on 5 destroyers and cruisers ( like Atlanta, Boise and even Indianapolis for scenario's).

I decided a while back (when I was getting clubbed a lot), that I don't battle DD's without them being at least 14 (CE & RF) , so am trying to get my fleet to this level (from tier 5-8).

In my theory (rightfully I'm not sure) is that I can cycle through all my premium ships, at all different levels(3-8) IJN, US, KR and now HMS with mostly all level 19 captains. All the XP gets allocated to bumping the regular force up.

thoughts?

54 posts
5,641 battles
3 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

I have only 3. Two British which are on premium DD and BB at this stage. I can build them up to 19 by using him on Gallant and Cossack, and once he is at 19 I can then transfer the XP to the Warspite.

John doe (US) is also on premium DD ( I have another 19 captain on the "premium" ships, but he is a fully AA built). JD is currently 17 and built middle of the road, so can I use him on 5 destroyers and cruisers ( like Atlanta, Boise and even Indianapolis for scenario's).

I decided a while back (when I was getting clubbed a lot), that I don't battle DD's without them being at least 14 (CE & RF) , so am trying to get my fleet to this level (from tier 5-8).

In my theory (rightfully I'm not sure) is that I can cycle through all my premium ships, at all different levels(3-8) IJN, US, KR and now HMS with mostly all level 19 captains. All the XP gets allocated to bumping the regular force up.

thoughts?

I've (finally) arrived at a similar opinion to you re grinding 19 point captains, and ditto re DD play, (so far I'm accepting 10 points, but I'm only up to the Jervis). 

UK: one of my Dunkirk's is on my Neptune, to help with its slow turret traverse. He actually spends a lot of time captaining the Nelson as the EM buff helps there, and assists with grinding to 19 points. I'm not playing the Neptune much (tier IX speed bump) and may yet shift him to a DD or slow turret BB.

The other Dunkirk is on my Minotaur (my first tier X) but is probably wasted there (very fast turrets already; JoaT is useful but SSE is marginal for my playstyle) and may move to the Daring when I eventually get it, or a slow turret BB. 

My other special captains are really just grinding points at this stage so I can't even remember what ships they're on. It took me far too long to understand the dynamics of captains, premium ships and the value of 19 points, hence only having one 19 point captain thus far (Minotaur) so working on that is a focus for me nowadays.

Beta Tester
1,065 posts
9,210 battles

Hmmm. Fair bit of variation here - and personal choice.

That's good I guess.

Not many "Captain X must be in Ship X or you will fail at game".

Variety is the spice of life as they say.

108 posts
3,033 battles
6 hours ago, Farlesquew said:

My other special captains are really just grinding points at this stage so I can't even remember what ships they're on. It took me far too long to understand the dynamics of captains, premium ships and the value of 19 points, hence only having one 19 point captain thus far (Minotaur) so working on that is a focus for me nowadays.

I just have a spreadsheet printed out which I made with each ship and what cmdr level they are, colour coded them as to what priority I want to build on.

I have a good base of cruisers to move to once ive got them to 14, and when i have the game a bit better sorted. Im still a  work in progress.

445 posts

For me, 

UK

Jack Dunkirk- BBs as he seems to be well suited to covering their weaknesses

US

Only have John Doe (Steven Seagull) - He is on my Iowa, but that is mostly for sentimental reasons and the fact that he is suited to helping out bb weaknesses with his skills.

Have no others.

Well, I have the Hockey Player for Russia, but don't know what to do with him yet, (have a 10 point already on Kirov that I won a while back) and working on getting Hockey Player USA (again don't know what to do with him yet.) 

[151ST]
1,026 posts
4,628 battles

Dunkirks, great in BBs, smoke CLs and DDs, Dunkirks are very flexible in smoke and non-smoke builds thanks to EM and JOAT.

Yamamoto good in BBs/CAs. I take PM over PT as I don't have an issue with Torps as I can usually predict them.

Haven't tested the others.

Edited by S4pp3R

Super Tester
7,715 posts
8,025 battles
12 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Hmmm. Fair bit of variation here - and personal choice.

That's good I guess.

Not many "Captain X must be in Ship X or you will fail at game".

Variety is the spice of life as they say.

That's why I have all the free ones. So I can use them on different things. However I did not buy the last Ovenchicken that they were selling in prem shop. Too overpriced. I can grind a 15 points captain in 3 days if I want to... Never gonna pay for it.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
1,065 posts
9,210 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

That's why I have all the free ones. So I can use them on different things. However I did not buy the last Ovenchicken that they were selling in prem shop. Too overpriced. I can grind a 15 points captain in 3 days if I want to... Never gonna pay for it.

Yeah I have an Patriot American Alex and a Comrade Russian Alex that I earned in game. (Though I did buy ONE single Great 8 collection crate that DIDN'T help me get either!).

I agree though - I'm not spending real world coin on commanders.