Luthais

We Were All Noobs Once

14 comments in this topic

11 posts
1,223 battles

I joined Wargaming a couple of years ago but have only really been playing WoWS for two months. So I am still a newcomer (Noob).
My advice to other newcomers is to join a clan so you can listen to the experienced players on how they do things like the best ship, Captains Skills, tactics, etc. Also, watch all the Wargaming videos and check out YouTube as there are so many informative and awesome videos out there.

My number one tip is "Grow a Thick Skin" as there are so many Admirals (Not what I want to write) out there who think they are the best at the game. My recommendation is that you hide your profile as a lot of people will judge you by it and will tell you to go back to COOPs or Co-Op battles. Hiding your stats just alleviates any problems. Yes, COOP battles are great to try out a new ship, test your aiming and leading of targets etc, but a lot of the BOTS don't fire back at you.

This is a game after all and everyone should have the same opportunity. Play whatever you want and enjoy the game. You can't learn without playing the game, making mistakes and watching other players.

This is just my opinion.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Noob and Newb are two different entities.

A newb is a new guy, one who is still learning..... A noob is someone who can't quite grasp how to play, even after countless battles, usually they are a detriment to their team

Yes, everyone was once a newb.

But only some of us are noobs now..

Beta Tester
653 posts
3,526 battles

I rather not hide my stats, i mean I want to show proof to make sure that I'm not such a noob who hides stats and false talking about how great you are.

But whats the point hiding i mean 2012 - 2018, I have no shame showing my in game services.

11 posts
1,223 battles
9 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

I rather not hide my stats, i mean I want to show proof to make sure that I'm not such a noob who hides stats and false talking about how great you are.

But whats the point hiding i mean 2012 - 2018, I have no shame showing my in game services.

I have no shame either, I am improving. I accept I still make the occasional newb mistake. But the last straw being broadsided and having my engine disabled at the start of a T5 battle, called a noob and told to go back to co-op wasn’t the best. Even taunting me with PM’s. 

So now I will be judged by the battle I play. 

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles
28 minutes ago, R0mulus said:

I have no shame either, I am improving. I accept I still make the occasional newb mistake. But the last straw being broadsided and having my engine disabled at the start of a T5 battle, called a noob and told to go back to co-op wasn’t the best. Even taunting me with PM’s. 

You're in a good clan,  Bex and his mates will teach you well. 

If anyone sends you abusive PMs report it to the moderators, they will deal with it.

But honestly, who cares what some unknown player sitting in his basement, 4000 km away thinks?

Beta Tester
653 posts
3,526 battles
3 hours ago, R0mulus said:

Just don't listen to the Elitist talking rubbish on you. Exit to port and play other ships. End of story.

2 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

But honestly, who cares what some unknown player sitting in his basement, 4000 km away thinks?

I bet fat bois in a basement with doritoes and mountain dew in 4000km away loves trash talks.

But when you called them something offends them just keep on :

7340083430251.jpg_master_axfood_400

1,011 posts
7,482 battles
On 11/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, R0mulus said:

My recommendation is that you hide your profil

I don’t think that’s a good idea.

Some people will mis-use the information to stat-bash you but just ignore that. Basically, ignore everything that doesn’t help.

When you ask questions on the forum, sometimes people look up your stats to help you better.

I think you take this too seriously. The anonymity of hiding behind a username means that many people treat you like they would never dare in a face-to-face situation.

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles

While stats can be used for bashing, but the forum mods follow strict rules against stat bashing. But some people also use stats as anchor points for how to suggest you to do your stuffs. Because numbers tell a lot of stories and they never lie. So unless you are ashamed of your stats, or determined that for some unknown reason you don't want people to see it, I don't see any point in hiding stats.

There is always a better player out there, no matter how well you do, and there is always someone who is worse. There is nothing to be proud of, nor to be ashamed of. In fact, I'd always welcome criticism on my stats, especially if it reveals that I have been playing something wrong, which happened in the past. That's how I look at the situation.

Game is for me to play, stats are for others to look at.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
653 posts
3,526 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

While stats can be used for bashing, but the forum mods follow strict rules against stat bashing. But some people also use stats as anchor points for how to suggest you to do your stuffs. Because numbers tell a lot of stories and they never lie. So unless you are ashamed of your stats, or determined that for some unknown reason you don't want people to see it, I don't see any point in hiding stats.

There is always a better player out there, no matter how well you do, and there is always someone who is worse. There is nothing to be proud of, nor to be ashamed of. In fact, I'd always welcome criticism on my stats, especially if it reveals that I have been playing something wrong, which happened in the past. That's how I look at the situation.

Game is for me to play, stats are for others to look at.

Ive been in this WG service since 2012, yet i have low battle count, due to low spec PC and or Busy IRL. I play bote just for my sake of ship love since Navyfield 2005.

11 posts
1,223 battles

Well, my stats are now public. The problem is that I can win every game for the next 100 games and my win ratio will still be rubbish. I have been having some coaching and lots more vids and am not making the same mistakes I used to.

Guess I will have to grow a thicker skin. 

Beta Tester
33 posts
9,057 battles
51 minutes ago, R0mulus said:

Well, my stats are now public. The problem is that I can win every game for the next 100 games and my win ratio will still be rubbish. I have been having some coaching and lots more vids and am not making the same mistakes I used to.

Way to go Romulus. Let's just get better than Bex. 😄  As Bex would say.. "Get gud". 

Super Tester
7,558 posts
8,001 battles
3 hours ago, R0mulus said:

Overall stats hardly make any sense. Besides, stats are there for self improvements tracking. If you spot that you are improving, that's all that matters.

As a recruiter for my clan, when I go through stats, I usually look into specific ships, and for latest certain amount of battles. The lifetime stats are pretty useless. Also I look into solo and div statistics to predict the ability to work as a team or as a lone wolf, either of which could be useful, etc.

Edited by icy_phoenix

32 posts
10,560 battles

I think there was a guy above who said right. Noobs and newcomers are different. Everyone was a newcomer but u can still see that a lot of players who have more than 3000 even 5000 battles and play tier 10 ships still do some stupid things (NOT MISTAKE). For example a lot of high tier DD player set smoke screen without move in a radar ship's radar range or many BB players face enemy with their bow and totally stop the ship to fight. You only have 600 battles so u are just a newcomer. It's normal if u made any mistake. What I suggest you is that try to stay in low tier battle T5-6 until you know the game mechanism and the features of ships you use well like armour structure. If in the low tier battle some suckers spam u, just don't care them. But sometimes you also need to understand these players who blame you because they might continually loose more than 8-10 game because of some really NOOBs which is quite often happened in WOWs. 

so just try to improve your self and don't care too much what people say.