You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Vigilance

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
701 posts
8,402 battles

Is Vigilance wasted on a BB captain?

I bought the German special captain from Arsenal and picked Vigilance on the way up.

I'm looking at that 3 points and kind of ruing it.

But it DOES make sense right? People shoot lots of torps at BBs...?

I respecced my 18 point normal Captain I was using on my German BBs to be a DD captain and am rebuilding the German special for my German BB fleet.

Did I make a mistake with my Germans?

GERMAN.

1,484 posts

I think it is nowadays, especially to us veteran players, as we pretty much predict that dds or cruisers are going to fire torps at us, & having known what ships fire torps at which angles (usually knowing because we own that particular ship anyway) , we can pretty much work out when the enemy ship is or had been at optimal torps range/angle....

On most of my ships, I'd rather use the AA/secondary boost on the captain skills selection, unless your a carrier... Or save up the points for another slot 4 selection.

Ordrazz

Beta Tester
701 posts
8,402 battles
Just now, Ordrazz said:

I think it is nowadays, especially to us veteran players, as we pretty much predict that dds or cruisers are going to fire torps at us, & having known what ships fire torps at which angles (usually knowing because we own that particular ship anyway) , we can pretty much work out when the enemy ship is or had been at optimal torps range/angle....

On most of my ships, I'd rather use the AA/secondary boost on the captain skills selection, unless your a carrier... Or save up the points for another slot 4 selection.

Ordrazz

Yeah. That's kind of what I'm thinking.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

As a DD player, I would rather they didn't use it....

If I can, I use it wherever possible on most ships. IMHO, having that extra warning time can make a lot of difference, especially with fast torps.

487 posts
7,619 battles

Being able to think like your enemy and predict torps is great, but anything with a 1 km turning radius and a poor torpedo belt needs all the help it can get.

However giving up another 3 point skill, better suited to BB,  to run vigilance instead is a tough call, and can really hurts your effectiveness as a BB.

Personally I ended up using my "normal" 19 point German BB captain who came up the line to T10. Normal BB build, no vigilance, but secondary spec (BFT and AFT) plus manual secondaries. The 2 von Jutland boys ended up going on Hindenburg and Z-52. The buffed vigilance skill is more useful on these ships IMHO.

To my mind it comes down to your experiences in battle. If you get caught by torps more often that you like, maybe the buffed vigilance skill is the way to go. If not then maybe a more conventional German BB build would be points better spent.

It's a bit like the legendary modules for the T10 ships. Some are great but some are very questionable due to what they give up in order to use it. Comes down to individual playstyle and your own experiences. 

Beta Tester
701 posts
8,402 battles
5 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Being able to think like your enemy and predict torps is great, but anything with a 1 km turning radius and a poor torpedo belt needs all the help it can get.

However giving up another 3 point skill, better suited to BB,  to run vigilance instead is a tough call, and can really hurts your effectiveness as a BB.

Personally I ended up using my "normal" 19 point German BB captain who came up the line to T10. Normal BB build, no vigilance, but secondary spec (BFT and AFT) plus manual secondaries. The 2 von Jutland boys ended up going on Hindenburg and Z-52. The buffed vigilance skill is more useful on these ships IMHO.

To my mind it comes down to your experiences in battle. If you get caught by torps more often that you like, maybe the buffed vigilance skill is the way to go. If not then maybe a more conventional German BB build would be points better spent.

It's a bit like the legendary modules for the T10 ships. Some are great but some are very questionable due to what they give up in order to use it. Comes down to individual playstyle and your own experiences. 

Yeah, exactly. I am usually pretty aware of where torpedoes are coming from.

If I get ambush torped its usually my fault, bad positioning or whatever and I don't know if +25 or even +35% would really help me recover from what is my own stupid actions.

And yeah, those 3 points are valuable elsewhere.

487 posts
7,619 battles
1 hour ago, AntifoulAwl said:

As a DD player, I would rather they didn't use it....

I'm with you on that. :cap_like: Very unsporting for the enemy to turn hard the instant your torps hit the water...….. :Smile-angry:

Edited by HobartAWD

46 posts
192 battles

dat vigilante maybe usefull on German DD or CA....

but since the Ass shio and Pan Cake DD strike with lel and lol water torpedo..... better pick SI for EXTRA HYDRO

also BB main threat is FIRE, not water.... spend the skill somewhere else

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

Could be useful for a GK. But most of us has grown a sixth sense about the general direction of incoming torps.

If you get target acquisition mod + special captain + vigil and hydro enabled, you can see shimakaze torps from the moon.

Beta Tester
701 posts
8,402 battles

Really starting to think I wasted 35k coal when a normal Captain would have been just as good...

I guess he still has consumables CD boost.

243 posts
5,804 battles

I rarely use vigilance, I find there are more useful skills. While it is useful, skill can make up for it.

Only time I would find it useful in a B.B. is if I happened to be chasing down a DD at less than 10km... which is a rare situation you should avoid if possible.

The best counter for ship launched torps is to keep your distance (10km or more), and use wasd. Having good awareness and knowing where DDs are likely to hide is good too.

1,011 posts
7,422 battles

Well, I dare say for a 10 pointer, there are probably better choices.

For example the Warspite slows rapidly with the rudder hard over, she can often evade torps without that skill.

I would make more sense for a ship that has slow rudder shift, bad torp protection and large turning circle.

I had it on a few ships, but probably all replaced with better skills.