You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PanzerTitusFernandez

How to Republique?

33 comments in this topic

54 posts
1,827 battles

So here am i again, i created the How to Richelieu thread earlier. It was thanks to the responses on the that thread that i did reasonably well on the Richie and the Alsace that i later got. Now i have an entirely different beast to tame. The Republique. Honestly this is a BB that confuses me. The guns are good, having relatively good dispersion, sigma (when RNG doesn't screw it) and outstanding AP pen. It has good secondaries and outstanding AA, the main issue here is that i don't know what it's play style is supposed to be. It's a Battleship that cannot effectively lead a push because of it's inherent fragility to HE spam, anyone with IFHE and the Yamato and Musashi. Likewise, barring the Speedboost, it's normal speed is just about the same as the other fast BB's. 

Now i've been watching some Youtube Videos and some of them like Notser recommend using it as a "Flanking BB", thing is, if i were to go to the flanks, my 431mm guns are out of the fight on the main flank, whilst for me to flank effectively, i need to actually have team mates to help take the heat of my ship and hope the team on the other flank don't die in droves. Similarly, if i follow the herd, play as a Fire Support BB (to deliver 431mm of French justice to the enemy) and ignore the flank, wouldn't that mean i'm leaving my flank open?

Then there's the fact that, as i mentioned above, it simply lacks the durability to push.

So what are your thoughts on all of this?...a newb calls for aid.

60 posts
238 battles

here is the tips :

1. Republique can snipe.....

2.  Republique is The Best DUEL BB, no BB can win duel in CQC againts Republique, even GK become sheet

3. its AA is very stupid that only idiot CV target it early

4. its have FASTEST TURRET TRAVERSE, PICK Adrenaline rush instead of Expert Marksman

4.2 Secondary AFT is MUSS, DONT PICK MANUAL SECONDARY, its already accurate compared to GK

4.3 no need IFHE, the secondary BURN everything

5. its weak againts HE by many cruiser and WATCHOUT FOR KEBAB 

6. know WHEN TO SNIPE, know WHEN TO DUEL/Push......

7. YOU CAN USE SPEED BOOST FOR INCREASE ACCELERATION. maybe a bit usefull for dodging torp or throwing enemy aim

at the right hand, Republique is the most scary BB compared to other T10 BB.

listen bro, not every youtuber IS FIT TO YOUR PLAYSTYLE, also ITS SEA server

66 posts
11,522 battles

Pretty much I wouldn't trust a 103 battles tard posting.

You basically have to pick your fights as you can't win against other T10 BBs like Conq or Yamato. 
The general advice is always the same, don't push alone and go with your supports.

60 posts
238 battles
3 hours ago, Jehuty_v2 said:

ah, you are pretty right

i am just newly noob fresh with join date of 11 octobor 2018, i knew nothing of the game mechanic nor naval strategy

i am never play CV, yet i always recommend people to play CV.

also i really like to lie :V

so better ignore this newbie advice

4 hours ago, Jehuty_v2 said:

The general advice is always the same, don't push alone and go with your supports.

general advice is not always working, think again.... RU DD shouldnot cap, KM BB should a bit push (which is obvious differ from normal BB), last but not least MN CA is designated to BBQ instead of hunting DD.

anyway, nothing beat Experience..... better playing it and losing a few match lol

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles

With repub, you don't push too hard early game cause you can nail enemy ships effectively from a bit more distance than other BBs. Sure you come forward, but take note if you are putting yourself in a place where you can be spammed by many ships. You have the speed to relocate yourself.

Take a look at the orientation of enemy bb lines and find a spot that will allow you to hit their sides. If your position is about to be compromised (aka spotters ahead are dead or your allies bailed or about to get killed) speed boost to new location.

As for Captain build, I think fire prevention is quite important for her.

60 posts
238 battles
58 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

no its total crap, FP didnt reduce HE damage, BETTER PICK CE and hide

54 posts
1,827 battles
15 hours ago, Jehuty_v2 said:

You basically have to pick your fights as you can't win against other T10 BBs like Conq or Yamato. 

Yeah, it's been something of a bumpy ride for me. More than any other BB in the French line, Republique lives on Map awareness. Still trying to fix that problem.

58 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

With repub, you don't push too hard early game cause you can nail enemy ships effectively from a bit more distance than other BBs. Sure you come forward, but take note if you are putting yourself in a place where you can be spammed by many ships. You have the speed to relocate yourself.

Take a look at the orientation of enemy bb lines and find a spot that will allow you to hit their sides. If your position is about to be compromised (aka spotters ahead are dead or your allies bailed or about to get killed) speed boost to new location.

So essentially, look at the map and judge the situation, snipe at first, then close in with support. If i put myself in a place where i can gunned down, have an Escape Plan. If my team mates die in front me, relocate ASAP.

Did i get it correctly?

1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

My Captain Build is as follows :

Priority Target + Expert Marksman + Adrenaline Rush + Basic Firing Training + Basics of Survivability + Concealment Expert + Advanced Firing Training.

Do i need to change anything?

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles
12 hours ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

My Captain Build is as follows :

Priority Target + Expert Marksman + Adrenaline Rush + Basic Firing Training + Basics of Survivability + Concealment Expert + Advanced Firing Training.

Do i need to change anything?

Yes, where is Superintendent? How do you play BB without Superintendent....

You don't actually need EM and BFT. And BoS can definitely wait.

I think i would take PT, AR, SI, CE, FP, then AFT, (however she can utilize both MAA and MS due to good AA and secondaries). If you aren't really going for AA or secondary build, just drop AFT and invest points in BoS and JoAT/EM....

And yeah, you got the tactical part correct. Do not show your broadside to anyone, especially to Montana, Yamato or another Republique. They can citadel you pretty easily under your turrets. You can use terrains pretty well too since your reverse acceleration and speed is extremely good.

This is a good example of Republique game, see the timing, when he hid and when he started to push.

Edited by icy_phoenix

60 posts
238 battles
2 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Lol, stop trolling everywhere Sharkbait.

3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

i think i would take PT, AR, SI, CE, FP, then AFT, (however she can utilize both MAA and MS due to good AA and secondaries). If you aren't really going for AA or secondary build, just drop AFT and invest points in BoS and JoAT/EM....

you did take CE+AFT too right, unless you have19 commander, AFT >> CE >> anyything you prefer......

AFT and secondary range upgrade is MUSS on republique otherwise you waste 25% of its firepower.

CE is MUSS because it wasnt tanky enough to withstand Hiddenburger and Desmeme HE, hide lel

FP is 19 commander skill, most people only have 10~14 skill point

BFT and SI is actually based on your preference,

if you hate CV plane nuke, BFT is monster choice and its also buff secondary.

i wont deny how usefull is SI on BB, but for someone who yolo after 10 min mark, just lel

no i am not trolling, everyone have their OWN style. my build is based on jack of all trade.... good concealment, usefull secondary, and AA protection.

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles
2 hours ago, Akyamarukh said:

AFT and secondary range upgrade is MUSS on republique otherwise you waste 25% of its firepower.

Lol, OK, if you say so. Have you ever looked into how much "Actual" secondary damage you have been dealing on average? Im pretty sure it will be 5% at most unless you have something like IFHE. And what made you think OP yolos at 10 minute mark? Even then, one extra charge of heal and one extra charge of speed boost is a huge boost. On battles where I reached 3.5M - 4.6M potential damage, I ran out of last heal even before 15 minutes mark, and that's with SI + Premium consumables. As for buffing secondaries, Republique has one of the most fragile secondary arrays in the game if I'm not mistaken. Also she doesn't have pen like German secondaries.

Bottom line, if you take a bit of everything, you leave her weak on every aspect. Better to go strong with something that currently a meta. Unless of course you have several options. For example, if I want to play with a CV buddy, I'd pick my Montana, if I prefer ninja sniping, I'd pick a yamato, for full on secondary fun I'd pick a GK.. so on and so forth. Needless to say many of us even have more than one specialized captains for same ship so we can switch during competitive and random modes. Ofcourse not everyone have those.

So, based on the hours that you play, you gotta ask

-- How frequently do you meet CVs?

-- How frequently do you get your enemies within 11 km of your ship and you can sustain incoming damage long enough to deal with them?

-- Do you think you are being spotted too soon for your liking?

60 posts
238 battles
42 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

On battles where I reached 3.5M - 4.6M potential damage, I ran out of last heal even before 15 minutes mark, and that's with SI + Premium consumables.

dude, any noob will dead before reach 2M potential damage even with SI+premium. surviving about 3.5M++ damage in French BB mean one thing :

"LUCKY that my enemies RNG is crap"

SI real value is additional HP to survive againts "damage you are taken" not the potential damage. so potential damage mean nothing, what matter is "how much damage you can withstand". and with Republique low basic HP+sheety (paper) armor, its more better to "avoid gettin damaged" even that is mean cowardly play....

from here onward this is pure opinion :

i am finally realize that Republique is like agile fencer and GK is like tanky Doppelsoldner. both are great for CQC but Rep excel in killing enemies faster and GK excel in tanking FEW enemy attack longer. what awesome about republique is 33 degree gun angle and responsive manouerability, with less than 22 sec reload..... you can beat the sheeps out when CQC

Lol, OK, if you say so. Have you ever looked into how much "Actual" secondary damage you have been dealing on average? Im pretty sure it will be 5% at most unless you have something like IFHE.

you dont need IFHE what matter is how fast Repubique burning enemy in CQC

-- How frequently do you meet CVs?

-- How frequently do you get your enemies within 11 km of your ship and you can sustain incoming damage long enough to deal with them?

-- Do you think you are being spotted too soon for your liking?

-- Midway is rare species, Hakuryu is even more rare now lol, but those T8 sometimes appear..... BFT + AFT is enough

what matter is the insurance againts the unexpected. if you dont like it that is fine.

-- its really frequent, OF COURSE first you need to delete or lower HP of CA-HE. 

its usually happen around 10 min mark.  AND I AM JUST FREESSSH 100% REPUBLIQUE LOL, snipe from 20km haahaha

well, sometimes unexpected shit happened like its getting boring so i get to the cap early just to reduce my HP into 50% before sniping for adrenaline bonus....

or your team is doing crap the whole match...... its ramming time and go to valhalla

remember we are talking about BEST MIX MAX COMMANDER PERK for Repulique not the general BB

what OP using : PT >> EM + AR >> BFT >> BoS >> AFT >> CE (19 skill)

what you suggest : PT >> AR >> SI >> CE + AFT + FP (18 skill)

what i suggest for basic Republique build : PT >> AR >> BFT >> AFT + CE (14 skill)

so, 5 skill left and it depend on anyone preference.... that is mean SI is also viable in basic 14 skill Repulique build

if you ask me what i will put in 5..... ITS OBVIOUS I WILL PICK THE MASTER RACE RDF+Preventive maintenance

of course not everyone can utilize RDF on republique..... i am never recommend it and i dont have 18 commander skill to prove it usefullness

RDF MASTER RACE.....

54 posts
1,827 battles
9 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Yes, where is Superintendent? How do you play BB without Superintendent....

Well i am really conservative with my consumables. I definitely do not heal damage from just 1 fire unless i have too and i only activate speed boost when i need to, be it to run away or to pursue an enemy. But perhaps you are right, thinking back, there are situations where i could have used the extra heal and speed boost.

But i've been used to playing my BB's without SI that i just got used to it...so i'll have to think on this.

You don't actually need EM and BFT. And BoS can definitely wait.

Wait, why do you say that?...i mean the Republique's turret rotation is good, but surely EM makes it better, especially since i have Main Battery Loader on the ship and that penalizes my turret rotation. Which means that i need a skill to quickly bring my turrets to bear especially since i have only 2 gun turrets with a total of 8 guns. And isn't BoS a good thing?...it's gives a nice buff to fire resistance and flooding, especially when combined with the equipment i use.

I think i would take PT, AR, SI, CE, FP, then AFT, (however she can utilize both MAA and MS due to good AA and secondaries). If you aren't really going for AA or secondary build, just drop AFT and invest points in BoS and JoAT/EM....

Well it's clear that i have a lot to think on. My choice of skills for the Republique was based on giving my secondaries and AA equal treatment. This ensures my AA is good enough to make the occasional CV look away and go after someone else whilst giving my secondaries plenty of bite should the need occur that i have to engage in a brawl with other BB's or shoo away DD's. I didn't take Manual Secondaries or AA because i didn't feel it was necessary to buff the AA further given the rarity of carries in the current meta and the fact that i rarely engage in brawls with the Republique (it's not a GK, and while i have noticed that my secondaries can take a beating, it's just too expensive, points wise, to turn the Republique into a dedicated Secondary or AA ship i.e poor cost to value). Hence why i invested in other points.

Lol, stop trolling everywhere Sharkbait.

Who is this dude?, been seeing him crop up in numerous threads.

Edited by PanzerTitusFernandez

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles
4 hours ago, Akyamarukh said:

dude, any noob will dead before reach 2M potential damage even with SI+premium. surviving about 3.5M++ damage in French BB mean one thing :

"LUCKY that my enemies RNG is crap"

Nah didn't do it in french BB, was just making a general statement about SI for BBs. My records are all in Montana.

60 posts
238 battles
3 hours ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Wait, why do you say that?...i mean the Republique's turret rotation is good, but surely EM makes it better, especially since i have Main Battery Loader on the ship and that penalizes my turret rotation. Which means that i need a skill to quickly bring my turrets to bear especially since i have only 2 gun turrets with a total of 8 guns. And isn't BoS a good thing?...it's gives a nice buff to fire resistance and flooding, especially when combined with the equipment i use.

#Republique basic turret traverse = Grosser Kurfurst Basic+Expert Marksman turret traverse

since the pro CQC player got accostumed with GK traverse speed, not using "EM" is actually fine....better invest more on other more usefull skill

BoS is the last piece of skill you better pick....

if you mix max the benefit, BoS only reduce 2.7% (-15%*18% HP fire total damage).... 

and SI give 1 more heal cosummable that equal of 14% of HP (except for stupid british heal)

in one battle a BB usually would take 3~7 fires...... the problem is, you dont let the fire burn let long.....  a smart BB player will HIDE or RUN after use DCP  for its cooldown...

also upgrade and Flag is already decent to reduce incoming fire

just be honest here, i rarely let fire burn so long..... and running or hiding after use DCP

this gameplay is also make me rarely benefit from Fire Prevention LEL.....

i dont think SI is useless but lack of BFT and trade for FP is just feel weird for republique.....

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles
4 hours ago, Akyamarukh said:

SI real value is additional HP to survive againts "damage you are taken" not the potential damage. so potential damage mean nothing, what matter is "how much damage you can withstand". and with Republique low basic HP+sheety (paper) armor, its more better to "avoid gettin damaged" even that is mean cowardly play....

Well I guess it's pointless to argue with you after this statement. Clearly you know better about the relationship between actual damage taken and potential damage.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,774 battles

Buffing secondaries is a complete waste of time.  You know what does more damage than secondaries? Being alive to still use your main guns...  Not to mention you have a lot less influence on the outcome of the battle once your dead.

Reppy's number one weakness is HE spam.  Minimising the impact of that is very important - this means CE, FP, BoS, India Yankee flags, DCSM 1 and 2 modules are all essential.

Her strengths are her guns and ability to get those guns into positions that will make life very difficult for the enemy to position well.  Angles are key here.  You want to be at significantly different angles to the rest of your BB's, and this means that someone should be able to get penetrating fire out consistently.

Reppy reacts very well to map awareness - it's extremely easy to get yourself in the wrong spot very quickly due to her speed and desire to position in unusual areas for BB's.  This will kill you very fast.

The guns are going to get you out of a lot of situations though - your main HE spamming threats are generally controlled by gaining distance.  For example if you're 17km from a Wooster you're outside his effective range but you can hit him extremely consistently.  Your desire to look for advantageous angles is very effective against island humpers as well.

Overall she's an amazing ship.  One of the best T10's, and with quite a unique play style - she plays sort of like a cross between Yamato and Henri IV.

60 posts
238 battles
3 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Nah didn't do it in french BB, was just making a general statement about SI for BBs. My records are all in Montana.

LOL MONTANA STROOOONK, compared to Republique just getting wrecked from Des Meme and Hiddenburger HE. those above 3 million damage is really luxury for french BB..... FRENCH FRIES

1 minute ago, icy_phoenix said:

Well I guess it's pointless to argue with you after this statement. Clearly you know better about the relationship between actual damage taken and potential damage.

well, i am not always right thought.... lately i play Kiev (freee razorworm camo) and getting focused fire, the silly thing is... i take 1.5million damage but my HP only reduced by 5K. howling sheeet LUCCCKKYYYY

also long long ago my GK got barraged by SATURATED/Shattered/Missed MEMETAUR AP its hillarious that my remaining 10% not decreasing. got 2 million damage after the match tabs (that time the Potential damage counter in battle didnt exist)

there is a moment i yolo too much and get killed early with only 500K potential damage. so my conclusion is potential damage is not significantly affect damage taken. 

it wasnt proven scientifically, so it could be personal bias

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles
4 hours ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Well i am really conservative with my consumables. I definitely do not heal damage from just 1 fire unless i have too and i only activate speed boost when i need to, be it to run away or to pursue an enemy. But perhaps you are right, thinking back, there are situations where i could have used the extra heal and speed boost.

But i've been used to playing my BB's without SI that i just got used to it...so i'll have to think on this.

If you do not get a massive hits to citadel, you can always repair a huge amount of HP. We all are conservative about using repair, and no, I don't think we insta repair fires either, but that extra heal still can get you the 15k hp you needed to combat longer. (Not to forget, always use the premium versions, even if it feels like taking a hit on credit income).

Point here is saving any captain point possible to allocate on more important ones. While I did mention about taking EM for later points, but definitely not first. As you spend majority of time fighting from a bit far, you do not usually need instant turret rotation. Besides, if you find yourself swinging guns from left to right all the time, its a good indication that your positioning is wrong or you are in a dire situation. IMO only Yamato needs EM among all T10 BBs. So that's my justification behind not using EM at first points. For BoS, you take that later on. The first 14 points should include CE and FP if you want to survive longer, and that means you can only allocate 1 skill for each of the previous three rows. While you recognize the impact of BoS, SI is several degrees more important in my opinion.

While going for AA is fine, however, if you want to actually combat T10 CV AA, you need both AFT and MAA. Just one or the other won't cut it. T10 CV can overwhelm your AA easily.

Also take a note to what @Moggytwo said above. That's the hard truth of SEA server. While Rep has good stats for AA and Secondaries on paper, her uniqueness comes from guns and speed, she is THE flanker BB (only one really).

Yamato is the fortress, Montana Kiter, Gk brawler, Repub flanker, Conq useless HE spammer. That's I believe is the unique traits of T10 BBs.

Who is this dude?, been seeing him crop up in numerous threads.

He is our inhouse joker. He posts from many profile, but it never takes a moment for us to recognize who he is. While he posts most of the time that looks like trolling, his posts indeed have some dark truth buried deep down.

Edited by icy_phoenix

54 posts
1,827 battles
56 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Buffing secondaries is a complete waste of time.  You know what does more damage than secondaries? Being alive to still use your main guns...  Not to mention you have a lot less influence on the outcome of the battle once your dead.

Reppy's number one weakness is HE spam.  Minimising the impact of that is very important - this means CE, FP, BoS, India Yankee flags, DCSM 1 and 2 modules are all essential.

Her strengths are her guns and ability to get those guns into positions that will make life very difficult for the enemy to position well.  Angles are key here.  You want to be at significantly different angles to the rest of your BB's, and this means that someone should be able to get penetrating fire out consistently.

Reppy reacts very well to map awareness - it's extremely easy to get yourself in the wrong spot very quickly due to her speed and desire to position in unusual areas for BB's.  This will kill you very fast.

The guns are going to get you out of a lot of situations though - your main HE spamming threats are generally controlled by gaining distance.  For example if you're 17km from a Wooster you're outside his effective range but you can hit him extremely consistently.  Your desire to look for advantageous angles is very effective against island humpers as well.

Overall she's an amazing ship.  One of the best T10's, and with quite a unique play style - she plays sort of like a cross between Yamato and Henri IV.

27 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Point here is saving any captain point possible to allocate on more important ones. While I did mention about taking EM for later points, but definitely not first. As you spend majority of time fighting from a bit far, you do not usually need instant turret rotation. Besides, if you find yourself swinging guns from left to right all the time, its a good indication that your positioning is wrong or you are in a dire situation. IMO only Yamato needs EM among all T10 BBs. So that's my justification behind not using EM at first points. For BoS, you take that later on. The first 14 points should include CE and FP if you want to survive longer, and that means you can only allocate 1 skill for each of the previous three rows. While you recognize the impact of BoS, SI is several degrees more important in my opinion.

While going for AA is fine, however, if you want to actually combat T10 CV AA, you need both AFT and MAA. Just one or the other won't cut it. T10 CV can overwhelm your AA easily.

Also take a note to what @Moggytwo said above. That's the hard truth of SEA server. While Rep has good stats for AA and Secondaries on paper, her uniqueness comes from guns and speed, she is THE flanker BB (only one really).

Yamato is the fortress, Montana Kiter, Gk brawler, Repub flanker, Conq useless HE spammer. That's I believe is the unique traits of T10 BBs.

Ahh...well it's clear that i have ALOT to think about in regards to my Captain skills, personally, my bad habit is my reluctance in trying something new and my stubbornness as i tend to stick with my guns so to speak. So i'll have to go and take a look at my crew skills, reset them and plays at least a dozen games to see what works. 

Thank you both for your input, it's been a rather shocking learning experience for me and i'm quite out of depth. I will be posting my new captain skill selection and the results that i got from my battles with those new skill choices, so i hope you all don't ditch the thread lol.

One point of clarification though for @Moggytwo, what do you mean when you say "You want to be at significantly different angles to the rest of your BB's, and this means that someone should be able to get penetrating fire out consistently" ?

If you do not get a massive hits to citadel, you can always repair a huge amount of HP. We all are conservative about using repair, and no, I don't think we insta repair fires either, but that extra heal still can get you the 15k hp you needed to combat longer. (Not to forget, always use the premium versions, even if it feels like taking a hit on credit income).

No worries. I use premium consumable on all tier 9's and 10.

He is our inhouse joker. He posts from many profile, but it never takes a moment for us to recognize who he is. While he posts most of the time that looks like trolling, his posts indeed have some dark truth buried deep down.

Ahhh i see.

Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles
5 minutes ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Ahh...well it's clear that i have ALOT to think about in regards to my Captain skills, personally, my bad habit is my reluctance in trying something new and my stubbornness as i tend to stick with my guns so to speak. So i'll have to go and take a look at my crew skills, reset them and plays at least a dozen games to see what works.

Hey, that's a good thing. You should play with a setup you are comfortable with. Do not just listen to random people like us here, we are just giving you some pointer based on what worked for us. Does not mean something else wont be more useful for you. Stick to your build for now I guess, cause captain resets aint gonna come cheap. Try them in public test clients may be.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,774 battles
23 minutes ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

One point of clarification though for @Moggytwo, what do you mean when you say "You want to be at significantly different angles to the rest of your BB's, and this means that someone should be able to get penetrating fire out consistently" ?

Well what often happens on a flank is that the BB's tend to be quite close to each other.  This makes it easy for enemy ships to angle in a way that minimises incoming AP damage.  What you're always looking for, especially in the Reppy because of it's speed and amazing guns, is to get to a point where you have a significantly different angle of fire on the enemy.  This will enable you to score pens rather than bounces.  If they then angle to you, hopefully your team mates are then able to pen them.

So say you have a friendly Yamato doing it's usual static play behind the cap.  Well if you can get wide on the flank, or even sit central depending on the map, your fire and the Yamato's fire will be coming in from different angles from the enemy's perspective.  The more the angle, the harder it is for the enemy to bow tank to minimise damage - that gives you the advantage.  If the enemy support ships then start to fall back, suddenly you have the opportunity to press a bit deeper and widen that angle.  Note you need to strike that balance between aggressively pushing that angle, and going so deep that you don't have an out.  With the Reppy especially, a ship that is easy to punish on the turn and that has incredible guns at range, aggressive early can be in the 16-18km range.  You will be consistently scoring pens and citadels at that range.  If the enemy is weak, you can usually be closer, if they are very strong and focusing you, pull it back a bit.  Later game you can look for better opportunities, but even then Reppy is often at a disadvantage sub-14km or so. 

54 posts
1,827 battles
23 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Hey, that's a good thing. You should play with a setup you are comfortable with. Do not just listen to random people like us here, we are just giving you some pointer based on what worked for us. Does not mean something else wont be more useful for you. Stick to your build for now I guess, cause captain resets aint gonna come cheap. Try them in public test clients may be.

That is true. However, i must also consider the fact that my crew skill setup is not as optimal as i would like. And besides, your advice helped me alot with the Richielieu and the Alsace 🙂

23 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Well what often happens on a flank is that the BB's tend to be quite close to each other.  This makes it easy for enemy ships to angle in a way that minimises incoming AP damage.  What you're always looking for, especially in the Reppy because of it's speed and amazing guns, is to get to a point where you have a significantly different angle of fire on the enemy.  This will enable you to score pens rather than bounces.  If they then angle to you, hopefully your team mates are then able to pen them.

So say you have a friendly Yamato doing it's usual static play behind the cap.  Well if you can get wide on the flank, or even sit central depending on the map, your fire and the Yamato's fire will be coming in from different angles from the enemy's perspective.  The more the angle, the harder it is for the enemy to bow tank to minimise damage - that gives you the advantage.  If the enemy support ships then start to fall back, suddenly you have the opportunity to press a bit deeper and widen that angle.  Note you need to strike that balance between aggressively pushing that angle, and going so deep that you don't have an out.  With the Reppy especially, a ship that is easy to punish on the turn and that has incredible guns at range, aggressive early can be in the 16-18km range.  You will be consistently scoring pens and citadels at that range.  If the enemy is weak, you can usually be closer, if they are very strong and focusing you, pull it back a bit.  Later game you can look for better opportunities, but even then Reppy is often at a disadvantage sub-14km or so. 

I see. Well i decided to put this into practice today to see how much it will help my team. The first 2 games were losses, i mean i did my damage, got 80-90k average and then died because everyone was more interested in island humping that helping a push.

The next 2 games were where i got to see the results of such a thing. 

Edit : It was 3 games.

shot-18.10.29_17.32.19-0850.jpg

shot-18.10.29_17.32.23-0871.jpg

shot-18.10.29_17.32.29-0518.jpg

shot-18.10.29_17.32.33-0229.jpg

shot-18.10.29_17.48.34-0999.jpg

shot-18.10.29_17.48.38-0682.jpg

shot-18.10.29_17.48.42-0971.jpg

shot-18.10.29_17.48.49-0650.jpg