You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LetsCamp_1

Shooting an Incoming Torpedo

21 comments in this topic

3 posts
174 battles

So I see enemies' torpedo coming at me right, so i aimed my guns to it & fired it with HE shells. My shell explodes exactly on the torpedoes, but the torps survive! and hit my ship. Why cant i destroy  any incoming torpedo although my shells hit it directly? Fine, it's not directly enough, probably it miss by 1 or 2 meters away, but the splash damage should be able to turn those torps in to duds right? (disabled torps to say the least).

Beta Tester
727 posts
8,463 battles
8 minutes ago, LetsCamp_1 said:

So I see enemies' torpedo coming at me right, so i aimed my guns to it & fired it with HE shells. My shell explodes exactly on the torpedoes, but the torps survive! and hit my ship. Why cant i destroy  any incoming torpedo although my shells hit it directly? Fine, it's not directly enough, probably it miss by 1 or 2 meters away, but the splash damage should be able to turn those torps in to duds right? (disabled torps to say the least).

Look...

There's nothing wrong with being "new". I much prefer the term "learner" but, well, online, "NOOB" gets thrown around a lot but I don't want to do that here.

Let me just say that as you get a few more battles under your belt and learn to lead them a bit better I'm quite sure you will be shooting torpedoes like a pro.

It took me ages to get the "Kill the Metal Fish" achieve.

You'll get there.

2,220 posts
13,691 battles
14 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Look...

There's nothing wrong with being "new". I much prefer the term "learner" but, well, online, "NOOB" gets thrown around a lot but I don't want to do that here.

Let me just say that as you get a few more battles under your belt and learn to lead them a bit better I'm quite sure you will be shooting torpedoes like a pro.

You'll get there.

Oh now that's just mean :Smile_veryhappy:

67 posts
1,371 battles

There are many type of arcade games. Arcade car racing games can be much more realistic than many simulators running on home PC or consoles. Good realistic simulation game are not exclusive from arcade style game.

WOWS does not follow any particular arcade style game actually. It is just a first person shooter game. just that the person running around had a ship appearance.

1,340 posts
8,823 battles
49 minutes ago, LetsCamp_1 said:

Can i at least change it's course (the torpedo's course) by shooting HE at it?

No you can't do anything to torpedoes period. Either it hits something or it runs out of range and disappears.

192 posts
1,019 battles
3 hours ago, LetsCamp_1 said:

Why cant i destroy  any incoming torpedo although my shells hit it directly

No you can't destroy any Torpedoes with shells. Even in real life situations, i dont think there is any plenty of ships shoot shells at incoming Torpedoes (Correct me if i m wrong), assume the torpedo travels at 54 knots, it will probaly take time to aim and locate which results in wasting shells and miss 

1 hour ago, LetsCamp_1 said:

Can i at least change it's course (the torpedo's course) by shooting HE at it?

Nope, definitely no. You need to use WASD hax to dodge torpedo. If you fail to do so, try to let torpedo hit your torpedo budge, at least it reduces the damage impact. 

192 posts
1,019 battles
3 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Look...

You'll get there.

The meaning is as deep as the halloween scavenger event 😂

Edited by waichung1823

1,107 posts
7,840 battles

Haha, it wont work. There nothing realistic about it

Irl big gun cant depress enough to target one, (most BB size gun only have -5 degree elevation, Kongo class for example cant aim at anything smaller than DD at range bellow 4,6km) and smaller one can depress enough but not have enough penetration or power to disrupt torpedo (as water is as hard as concrete if youfast enough to impact one, and combined with the fact torpedo can run as deep as 5 meter. and you also hit it at shallow angle, that translate to a lot of penetrative power that even Big gun dont have)

And if you see, straw get distorted by water on your cup, would tell you that acquiring by visual was mean getting distortion anywhere (as water bend light ). 

The only way to get accurate location of underwater target is by sonar. If Water distortion and reflection not being so annoying, modern warship would have CIWS like system for torpedo countermeasure long time ago. Even using laser for aiming wont work, those smart people at Darpa have tried you know

Edited by humusz

80 posts
4,793 battles
2 hours ago, tsuenwan said:

It is just a first person shooter game. just that the person running around had a ship appearance.

Most of the times you're in third person view, but yeah, this is like a typical FPS regardless, with some elements of RPG mixed in (tier progression, captain skill progression, etc.). And this is NOT a naval simulator. Nope. Don't believe that for even a fraction of a second, even that's how WarGaming themselves advertise this game.

309 posts
4,060 battles
22 minutes ago, LetsCamp_1 said:

Oh, how about torpedo vs torpedo collision, can it happen?

Again it's a no. Except for collision with ship's hull.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,831 posts
4,110 battles
7 hours ago, LetsCamp_1 said:

Oh, how about torpedo vs torpedo collision, can it happen?

Suffice to say mate that most of the game mechanics are based around in game balance and not realism.  There are realistic naval simulations from other developers

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
13 hours ago, LetsCamp_1 said:

So I see enemies' torpedo coming at me right, so i aimed my guns to it & fired it with HE shells

Look, that’s what the forum is for, to ask questions.

As others said, in the game, you cannot destroy torpedoes with ship guns.

I doubt you can do it in real life.

There is an interesting Mythbusters episode, they shoot handguns and rifles into a pool to see if they can hit an immersed target. No artillery shells, obviously, but it demonstrates the principle. Modern projectiles shatter when they hit the water. The only bullet that travelled in water for some distance was a lead ball shot from a front-loader musket. The lead ball travels quite slow, compared to modern ones.

You may have seen a guy swinging a 50 cal around in a movie, firing at a torpedo that promptly exploded. That’s Hollywood, though.

Would be interesting to know if there are recorded cases of this happening in real life. I doubt it.

243 posts
5,809 battles

Serious now.

Once a torpedo has been launched, the only thing which can stop it before it reaches max range is hitting a ship (alive or dead) or an island.

The only thing you can do is dodge it, it’s a mini game in itself.

Not so serious.

I recommend improving your sound system and downloading some Eurobeats so you can increase your chance to torpedobeat.