You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

Any tips regarding to high tier games?

14 comments in this topic

307 posts
4,060 battles

So just reach the Amagi and I have a lot of fun with her. But there is two things. In this tier I'm still scared of HE spam. Camping cruisers should not be tolerated. Even if I aim at their  waterline, I still get overpens. That's even worse if they're equiped with IFHE. Simply the scariest thing. Oh remember that Cleveland? It's still quite potent against BB.

In this tier, I also struggles on how to be a decent BB player. One HE spam defending the base and I end up sitting in the background which something that I didn't really like. Hiding behind an island also didn't help because I mostly encountered American cruisers with their high arc. When I decided to go near, it gotten even worse. Because the amount of enemies are getting larger. So I'm in dilemma. If I choose to push the flank I will get sunk quicker. But, when I choose to be a long sniper, I can't contribute to my team because I can't hit things at far range. My average damage result is like 50.000 dmg. And 100.000 dmg at rare cases. If I didn't contribute that much, I will get a few incomes. Post battle service in tier 8 already cost me like 100.000 credits. While my average credit income is 125.000 - 175.000. Which means that the final income would be 25.000 - 75.000 which is pathetic. And I'm also not a wallet warrior. I can't buy doubloons to buy modifiers like camos or signals to boost it. And I also trying to get used in random battle. And even at random battle is not enough to print so much income.

So guys, I need something like tips and tricks on how to be at least a decent BB player in high tier games.

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
22 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

How about try the HE spamming cruisers for a change?

I agree. Nothing teaches you how to counter something better than using that thing yourself.

You learn what works and what doesn't work so when you face them, you can try to create circumstances that confound the thing.

1,001 posts
7,422 battles

Well, I guess you are learning how high tier games are.

High tier battles are often quite static. Players explore enemy positions carefully, sneaking from cover to cover and wait for errors to happen. If you are the player making the error, you get quickly focused and killed.

High tier ships often have surprisingly short detection ranges and many players work well with concealment. There is a fair bit of HE spamming from behind island and also torp spamming going on.

For a BB there is a particular band of distance to the enemy that works well. You will need to learn to preserve your health, anticipate enemy moves and make the best of your BB guns.

I personally don’t enjoy high tier games. I have KM and RN ships up to T10, T8 most other nations. I find Random frustrating and especially high tier Random, so I don’t play it much.

15 posts
1,231 battles

Since I only have 500 battles that is over tier 8 under my belt, i'm not very qualified to give advises.

However, I can tell you that you shouldn't be expecting to make good profits in high tier games. If you're a 100% free-to-play player, try to save your free exp for a tier 9 premium to grind credits to fund high tier battles. 🙂

315 posts
4,634 battles

I can't speak for the economics of T8 since I usually buy permacamo, but as for soaking up HE... I'd guess you are trying to play independently of your own supports. For a cruiser to shoot at you, that cruiser needs to have his hands free so to speak. No pressing things on his mind, no worries about staying detected. If one of your cruisers starts raking him with HE, chances are he'll either go dark or switch targets. Generally BBs fight BBs, cruisers fight cruisers. It's only when there are no cruisers around to shoot at that a cruiser will start focusing on a BB. So, logically, you need to stick closer to your cruisers.

307 posts
4,060 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

I can't speak for the economics of T8 since I usually buy permacamo, but as for soaking up HE... I'd guess you are trying to play independently of your own supports. For a cruiser to shoot at you, that cruiser needs to have his hands free so to speak. No pressing things on his mind, no worries about staying detected. If one of your cruisers starts raking him with HE, chances are he'll either go dark or switch targets. Generally BBs fight BBs, cruisers fight cruisers. It's only when there are no cruisers around to shoot at that a cruiser will start focusing on a BB. So, logically, you need to stick closer to your cruisers.

But what if my cruisers are dead earlier? This happens to me a lot. And retreating are sometimes a bit pointless because I'll end up roasted.

315 posts
4,634 battles
9 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

But what if my cruisers are dead earlier? This happens to me a lot. And retreating are sometimes a bit pointless because I'll end up roasted.

Ultimately it's your responsibility to keep them alive. With an IJN BB I admit this is not so easy to do, but the principle stands: BBs are built to tank damage. You have to draw the high caliber AP fire away from your cruisers, so they can survive to take care of the low caliber HE spam for you.

Clearly if your cruisers are clueless there's little hope, but BBs and CA/CLs working together is a formidable strength.

357 posts
3,693 battles

Sadly a lot of times, dd and ca don't know what they should do. They either rush into cap and push too far in front resulting them to be deleted in 1-2 mins and i happen always to be with them. Once dd are all dead it impossible to win. Nowadays dd poplulation drop so much due to too much radar and usually there 2 in every battle.

Recently i seen ca crusing freely around around you while you been set on fire few times by dd gunboat and they didn't return fire. It really frustrating.

There one thing i notice many botters are using german ca like roon and hinderberg.

+ Potato dd and botters. It impossible to win.

Edited by th3vikings

112 posts
2,960 battles

^^

The side which supports its dds in contesting caps wins hands down. Which targets do you shoot? Enemy dds? Far off BBs? Radar ships when they are lit?

I've had most of my games recently where there has been a very strong camp meta, BB and cruisers way way back, spending most of the time spamming "I need intelligence" so they can shoot and miss far distant BB's.

Managing caps has become a very, very lonely experience.

It's only when the enemy has won the caps that they seem to realise that there is a need to move in a bit, and sometimes not even then.

Its a joy when you team understands its not just about damage, and its trying when they don't.

[AMPOL]
40 posts
3,367 battles

One thing is certain: if you gain the attention of a Yamato or musashi, your cruiser will be melted.

There are fun ships like the Salem and Worcester. There are also a lot of really good t10 players out there.

459 posts
8,266 battles

If you're looking for fun games stick to T7 and lower. It's not that T8 is bad, it can be quite fun and you can even make a profit if you do well enough, but most of the time you get stuck in T10 games and can't do much but spam HE in support of others. I'd say 75-90% of games played in T8 ships end up in T10 games from my experience. High tier games are frustrating, especially in some T9 ships like FDG and Izumo. There are many ways the game will troll the hell out of you. Such as placing you a T8 BB on a flank with no other BBs and all the T9 and T10 enemy BBs turn up on your flank, oh fun. Often team mates throw games you've fought hard and done well in. Passive game play, BBs sniping from the back of the map, teams running away when they have an advantage. You get the gist. There are times you know the battle outcome even before the loading screen is finished.

Over time you'll learn to deal with HE spammers. Don't be afraid to fire blind at them based on their shell tracers, use a spotter plane to help aim. Use the island they are camping to block their shots if you can, or if you have the option out flank them and force them out of their cover. Don't push too close, the entire enemy team will spam you to death ... fast. Also don't be too far as it's too hard to land accurate shots.

Also take captain skills,flags and modules that help with fire damage, they can make a _big_ difference.

Some one mentioned supporting your DDs, this is probably the most important thing you can do. I had a hilarious game in the FDG doing this. I was so annoyed with that ship playing poorly so I yolo'd the hell out of a cap with hydro on, brought down a DD and crippled another (which was sunk shortly after) before being sunk. The DD advantage I created (we had 2 DDs in the area) caused the enemies to run away, and eventually our team won. I wouldn't say it was a great play to do that (I did it mostly out of frustration with how bad FDG is) but if you can damage or take out a DD it's generally a good idea to do so.