You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Fiji Bullets

12 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
724 posts
8,418 battles

I kind of feel that if I had hit something 181 times with ANYTHING except Fiji bullets I would have done more damage.

I'm only up to Fiji on RN CL line and have struggled to do decent main battery damage with all of them.

Sure I can smoke up and defend caps but I'm not doing much damage.

Fiji is the most enjoyable for me so far on the RN CL line but even then I struggle to hurt stuff.

What am I doing wrong?

World of Warships Screenshot 2018.10.22 - 22.57.33.07.png

Edited by Max_Battle

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

That's the thing with RNCLs.

You need to know exactly where to shoot in each ship. Just hitting the target ain't gonna be enough.

You need to have good aim and good knowledge of armor models for each ship.

Also try to get some torp hits to get easy damage scores.

Fiji is Ez

317 posts
6,861 battles

Hitting the superstructure is where its at on battleships, anywhere else is likely to bounce or shatter. 

Waterline on cruisers until they start to turn and then go superstructure unless there is something else worth shooting at.

Try using torps a little more. Pulling off a good ambush is nice and rewarding.

Beta Tester
724 posts
8,418 battles

Yeah, thing is - I know where to shoot and when.

Perhaps I'm just used to getting a bit more HE damage against angled ships - which of course you can't do in Fiji.

As for torps, yep, would be nice but I've been a bit worried about squishiness... maybe too much?

I've been too cautious maybe. Maybe relying too much on ranged smoke firing?

I am still enjoying Fiji though. No real reason. Just kind of like her.

Edited by Max_Battle

1,011 posts
7,430 battles

If you aim for the centre of the ship, you often hit the armour belt.

Instead, aim for the starn or bow or the superstructure... that's a rule of thumb. Basically, aim where your 150's can penetrate armour.

Considering that you have an advantage = hide in smoke, something else had to give.

Super Tester
7,532 posts
7,978 battles

If you think your aim is ok and you know where to shoot, next thing that might be the reason for low damage output is either

(a) Incorrect or sub-optimal target selection

(b) Wrong map positioning.

Here's some things that you should try for any smoke camper ship:

(a) Try to asses whether you really need to use smoke or can get away without using it. Ambushing using terrains, or using friendly ships as baits is still a better way to farm damage without spending smoke charge if you don't have to. You are a CL, you should not try to tank damage, but you can brawl cruisers and DDs, as you have heal.

(b) For each smoke charge, you should set a goal, for example, getting 20k damage for each charge. Then do not smoke in a place where you wont be able to get that. This can happen if you smoke when enemy is near the end of your range, or, there is a possibility that the ship that was spotting for you can die, or there can be an enemy DD that can come inside your smoke detection range when you are shooting.

Plan, Position, Aim, Target, Ambush. You will always get quite high damage games, regardless of win or lose.

Beta Tester
724 posts
8,418 battles
2 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

If you aim for the centre of the ship, you often hit the armour belt.

Instead, aim for the starn or bow or the superstructure... that's a rule of thumb. Basically, aim where your 150's can penetrate armour.

Considering that you have an advantage = hide in smoke, something else had to give.

Hmmm. You may have a point.

Comments on my shooting in this video from my OP battle report?

I had used all my smokes supporting/defending B C which I felt Fiji excelled at because of smoke fire and volume of fire and so I had to use island cover at the end.

Where would you have aimed this BB?

Beta Tester
724 posts
8,418 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

If you think your aim is ok and you know where to shoot, next thing that might be the reason for low damage output is either

(a) Incorrect or sub-optimal target selection

(b) Wrong map positioning.

Here's some things that you should try for any smoke camper ship:

(a) Try to asses whether you really need to use smoke or can get away without using it. Ambushing using terrains, or using friendly ships as baits is still a better way to farm damage without spending smoke charge if you don't have to. You are a CL, you should not try to tank damage, but you can brawl cruisers and DDs, as you have heal.

(b) For each smoke charge, you should set a goal, for example, getting 20k damage for each charge. Then do not smoke in a place where you wont be able to get that. This can happen if you smoke when enemy is near the end of your range, or, there is a possibility that the ship that was spotting for you can die, or there can be an enemy DD that can come inside your smoke detection range when you are shooting.

Plan, Position, Aim, Target, Ambush. You will always get quite high damage games, regardless of win or lose.

K.

Beta Tester
724 posts
8,418 battles

Hmmm. Ambush tactics advice = Good advice.

I killed a Scharn and a Kii by ambush - via single fire torps.

Sadly it was a bit of a "what more can I do to win?" battle.

I was whittling down the enemy Ranger when I was killed.

I knew Fiji had it in her and that I just hadn't worked it out yet.

World of Warships Screenshot 2018.10.23 - 22.35.51.41.png

fb2.jpg

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,481 battles

Trying to resist being dictionary police.....cannot !!!!

ITS SHELLS, NOT BULLETS. Pistols and rifles fire bullets. Artillery ( land and naval ) fire shells.

Right, I'll back to my cave of pedantry now.

Beta Tester
724 posts
8,418 battles
7 hours ago, j0e90 said:

Trying to resist being dictionary police.....cannot !!!!

ITS SHELLS, NOT BULLETS. Pistols and rifles fire bullets. Artillery ( land and naval ) fire shells.

Right, I'll back to my cave of pedantry now.

On my recruit course at one stage we were all standing beside our beds with our SLRs lying on them.

Our Platoon Lieutenant walked in as if to do an inspection and suddenly yelled at us, "PICK UP YOUR GUNS!"

Everyone rapidly swept up their SLRs - everyone except me.

I hesitated and suspected a trap but a few moments after everyone else had quickly grabbed their SLRs I also picked up my weapon... I figured even if it was a trap, I would rather get in trouble with the rest of the platoon than be that one smartass who got it right.

Sure enough, Lt Pedrazzini, yelled at everyone to put down their rifles and run around the barracks three times while he howled at us,

"GUNS HAVE WHEELS AND SIT IN THE FIELD HURLING GREAT BIG SHELLS! INFANTRY USE RIFLES!!!"

145 posts
1,265 battles

You aim at superstructures, 32mm belts, torpedo belts, Bow and aft armor. (Citadel if your opponent is an upcoming HMS Vanguard)