You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Ranked sprint - Cruisers ineffective?

22 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles

It took me 2 days and 42 battles to rank out the sprint - my first time to rank 1 in a season ever, not that success in this season is equivalent to rank 1 in other seasons of course.

I rotated my Texas, Konig and Kamikaze R (and one or two in my Dasha captained Okt. Rev.) because they were my best captained ships. I ran full flags and cams for all of them.

I do have a "Kongo" (ARP Kirishima - the only one I kept) but I have not been able to make IJN BBs work for me, so I didn't use IJN BB. I am not saying in any way that I think IJN BBs are bad, it's just that every time I try to play one, I wish I was in a US or a German BB - it's just personal taste. (I might get into IJN BB if I ever get a Musashi).

There are no good t5 cruisers in my fleet at the moment. I actually think I only have the Konigsberg - and she is well under captained as I haven't rebuilt her captain after moving my German CA captain up the tiers. I've been considering getting a Murmansk (although with all my US ships, a Marblehead would make more sense, even if it is inferior to the Murmansk) or rebuilding an Omaha firebreather.

Now I really enjoy Konigsberg - I actually really like both Konigsberg and Nurnberg and I like cruiser play normally BUT...

From starting the ranked sprint to rank 1 I can literally count only 3 times when a cruiser was any threat. I mean literally three times.

Once was a Konigsberg that cleverly wiggled and kited away from me dumping HE on my Konig. I think RNG was kind to him as well as my AP splashed down around him but he did all the right things - he stayed at range, changed his speed and wriggled like a pro. Like that dude says in The Thirteenth Warrior - "Luck will often save a man - should his courage hold".

Second was an Omaha that stayed behind and island and lobbed HE over it. Classic US CA island play that you see all the time, but stood out in this case because it was a rare, almost unique experience for me in those ranked battles.

And the last was another Omaha, another wriggler who was a WASD hack master who burnt down a couple of BBs and pretty much won the game for his team. Ironically he was cammed up with the bright orange Restless Fire cam which I found funny - like he was calling the shots. "I WILL BURN YOU!" Kind of like the Red Baron who said he painted his plane bright red so enemy pilots were forewarned about who it was they were choosing to take on...

Most of the time, cruisers, either friendly or enemy were just deleted. There were many times that I willingly took damage to kill a cruiser in one of my BBs because it was just so worth it in a 6v6 format. I kind of feel the general skill level of cruiser captains was low too.

I didn't see CVs dominating - but then again, I played Texas and Konig so YMMV. Also I got the feeling there wasn't enough general chaos for CVs to do their thing? I mean in a 6v6 when there is a CV, you pay close attention to them.

Also, my 52 AA on Konig seemed more versatile than 80 AA on Texas. Range I guess.

What I saw and experienced was a BB and DD season. That's what I saw from both playing them and facing them.

Now what to spend my coal on.

Maybe a flag.

Or a packet of chips.

Edited by Max_Battle

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles
2 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Now what to spend my coal on.

Maybe a flag.

Or a packet of chips.

Go the chips.

That way you get to demolish potatoes twice.

On topic- last night I watched an Omaha parked too close to his island, thus sending salvo after salvo into coconut trees. Unfortunately he couldn't do English, so the teams' messages of ridicule fell on deaf ears.

Would've ruined the economy of those villagers. 

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles
2 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I've only seen one smart cruiser in ranked.   Every other match has been broadside ships getting blapped within a couple of minutes.

meanwhile i bounced 8 shells off the side of a furutaka at 3km and got torped in a octoblin, go figure

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
6 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Go the chips.

That way you get to demolish potatoes twice.

On topic- last night I watched an Omaha parked too close to his island, thus sending salvo after salvo into coconut trees. Unfortunately he couldn't do English, so the teams' messages of ridicule fell on deaf ears.

Would've ruined the economy of those villagers. 

Google translation.

"Cease dishonourable tree factory heating".

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,828 posts
4,103 battles
2 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

meanwhile i bounced 8 shells off the side of a furutaka at 3km and got torped in a octoblin, go figure

Who knows.  You just might be one of the smart cruisers.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,828 posts
4,103 battles
10 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

T5 will be T5.

[MEGA]
4,561 posts
17,548 battles
3 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Who knows.  You just might be one of the smart cruisers.

i mean i bounced 8 shots off him:cap_viking:

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles
2 hours ago, drakon233 said:

i mean i bounced 8 shots off him:cap_viking:

They weren't hitting islands were they??  :Smile_hiding:

[AMPOL]
40 posts
3,367 battles

Generally cruisers get citadeled at all angles once BBs decide to eat you in T5.

No mention of any Emilies. No love since the nerf?

[LNA]
1,657 posts
10,421 battles

this is ranked only in name , more like the usual random with a twist.

Beside , dont need much brainpower since you have to be at suicide range to land shots anyway. Commentary aboard a Texas.

[1NATN]
[1NATN]
385 posts
14,948 battles

I ranked out pretty quickly thanks to the Cesare so I turned my hand to the NA Server yesterday just to try cruisers, specifically. Rotating through Emile Bertin and Furutaca I made it to rank 5 before I lost a match and called it a night. I found the cruisers to often be the determining factor in a win as close supporting your DDs seals the fate of the enemy DD that takes a fight with them. Once the DD threat is eliminated you can just camp an island and spam HE all day on BBs that are too worried about torp walls to push. So... I guess I don't agree with your assessment, but there are plenty of potatoes getting about in tier 5 ranked so I can see where you might get that impression.

Edited by Bex_o7

420 posts

I find that cruisers are pretty mm dependent. If it's 4 or more bbs, good luck. However, if there are lots of dds present, then you find that cruisers are a game changer for the most part. They help kill the dd first or help non-op dds out, then your team either makes it rather close or wins. 

I've been running Kirov sometimes to change out my Caesar, and I've been doing ok.  Not saving any games, but helping to hold it together in the Kirov. 

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
7 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

I ranked out pretty quickly thanks to the Cesare so I turned my hand to the NA Server yesterday just to try cruisers, specifically. Rotating through Emile Bertin and Furutaca I made it to rank 5 before I lost a match and called it a night. I found the cruisers to often be the determining factor in a win as close supporting your DDs seals the fate of the enemy DD that takes a fight with them. Once the DD threat is eliminated you can just camp an island and spam HE all day on BBs that are too worried about torp walls to push. So... I guess I don't agree with your assessment, but there are plenty of potatoes getting about in tier 5 ranked so I can see where you might get that impression.

Oh I'm not denying that that's a good tactic, not at all.

I just didn't see it.

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
2 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

I find that cruisers are pretty mm dependent. If it's 4 or more bbs, good luck. However, if there are lots of dds present, then you find that cruisers are a game changer for the most part. They help kill the dd first or help non-op dds out, then your team either makes it rather close or wins. 

I've been running Kirov sometimes to change out my Caesar, and I've been doing ok.  Not saving any games, but helping to hold it together in the Kirov. 

I wanted to mix it up. While I was grinding out the ranks I actually stopped a few times and considered what cruiser I might do up to take in - including a premium purchase - but it just didn't look like it would be worth it.

Which is a shame, because I did want to mix it up and play a cruiser too.

[ZA]
156 posts
7,346 battles

After ranked out in Asia, I decided to play a few rank games in NA. 

So, I have to play solo, with low skill commander, and try out few different ships.

My verdict is  CA can be effective, and Nicolas is much stronger than I thought.

Also, NA skill level in general is worst than Asia, even their unicum player is just so easy to play against.

2018-10-24 18_36_30-《戰艦世界》.jpg

2018-10-24 18_36_40-《戰艦世界》.jpg

2018-10-24 18_46_11-《戰艦世界》.jpg

Edited by sunlo2013