Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
chicony56

target lock query

7 comments in this topic

71 posts
5,241 battles

can I have some affirmation to my thinking of proper use of target lock please

as I have understood it , target lock works best when target is moving perpendicular to your line of aim so

locked target plus appropriate lead is the technique

but if target is moving oblique to line of aim ( adjusting for lesser lead )  the centre of mass lock will shift and will not remain accurate

so on oblique sailing vessels its better to not use target lock?

responses will be most welcome

316 posts
4,638 battles

It's always better to have target lock on. Dispersion doubles otherwise (as per the recent explainer vid).

Target lock rubber-bands your aim to the actual target distance. It would be near-impossible to hit anything otherwise. You can aim short or long by mousing up or down, but the sensitivity is much lower than if you were trying to aim with the lock off.

Edited by Rina_Pon

71 posts
5,241 battles

so the centre of mass target point will adjust to movement off the horizontal plane nearer and farther and cannot be used for poor hit numbers on my part , thankyou

seems I score hits less often on tangent sailing ship , must be some other reason for this 

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

You always lock target, otherwise shells will go wild.

Due to a bug that has been present for a long time and not fixed yet, sometimes shells go wild even when target is locked cause in game engine somehow the target is considered as free target. If you get this problem, unlock and relock immediately before shooting next salvo. (Many people do it before every salvo just to be sure).

There are only two cases where you should unlock your target, although it is hard to describe, but I'll try.

(A), Brawling situations. If your ship's turret traverse cannot keep up with the ship you are passing by in a cqc, you should unlock your target, get out of zoomed camera, pre-lock your turrets to bearing so that you don't get wonky movement before you can shoot otherwise your guns will never shoot cause they will never finish rotating if target is locked.

(B) Dodging target lock counter on target ship, If your target ship has PT, he can see how may ships are locked on to him, you can keep him unlocked to fool him. Works best when you are taking shots from an angle he is not expecting, or you were not visible before that.

Target lock provides you with tracking. It will keep tracking your target at the exact lead amount you were keeping, unless u move your mouse. So if your aiming is off, the shells may miss the target, but this is not because of target lock. Another trick we use that needs target locking is, for ships that have high rate of fire and target is not very maneuverable, you shoot once while zoomed in, then hold RMB -> you will get out of zoom and still keep shooting by LMB without looking at the target since target lock will keep the lead from center mass (ofc you have to adjust if the target ship changes direction and speed). That way you get to see around you to gather more intel without having to look at how beautifully your shells are landing on the ship.

Edited by icy_phoenix

71 posts
5,241 battles
4 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

You always lock target, otherwise shells will go wild.

Due to a bug that has been present for a long time and not fixed yet, sometimes shells go wild even when target is locked cause in game engine somehow the target is considered as free target. If you get this problem, unlock and relock immediately before shooting next salvo. (Many people do it before every salvo just to be sure).

There are only two cases where you should unlock your target, although it is hard to describe, but I'll try.

(A), Brawling situations. If your ship's turret traverse cannot keep up with the ship you are passing by in a cqc, you should unlock your target, get out of zoomed camera, prelock your turrets to bearing so that you don't get wonky movement before you can shoot (otherwise your guns will never shoot cause they will never finish rotating if target is locked.

(B) Dodging target lock counter on target ship, If your target ship has PT, he can see how may ships are locked on to him, you can keep him unlocked to fool him. Works best when you are taking shots from an angle he is not expecting, or you were not visible before that.

Target lock provides you with tracking. It will keep tracking your target at the exact lead amount you were keeping, unless u move your mouse. So if your aiming is off, the shells may miss the target, but this is not because of target lock. Another trick we use that needs target locking is, for ships that have high rate of fire and target is not very maneuverable, you shoot once while zoomed in, then hold RMB -> you will get out of zoom and still keep shooting by LMB without looking at the target since target lock will keep the lead from center mass (ofc you have to adjust if the target ship changes direction and speed). That way you get to see around you to gather more intel without having to look at how beautifully your shells are landing on the ship.

all very interesting and helpful , thankyou , though some of those tricks will require some practise

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles
2 minutes ago, chicony56 said:

all very interesting and helpful , thankyou , though some of those tricks will require some practise

Indeed, even after so many battles, I am still trying to achieve 30% main batter hit ratio in a BB, but I just keep missing.

Sign in to follow this