Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Syanda

Battleship turret guide

7 comments in this topic

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Originally posted here

Former US Navy gunnery officer here. :) From what I've seen on the CBT so far and many Youtube video providers, many battleship drivers need their guns to be on target and spend 15-45 seconds waiting for a full broadside (mostly aft turrets) to properly train at initial contact or immediately following a maneuver. This is, of course, less than optimal.

Here's what I would recommend to make sure as many of those big guns are singing downrange as often as possible.

Initial deployment: Commit to a destination on the map and pre aim your turrets to the most likely location of the enemy. If you are approaching the enemy from an approximate +/- 45 degree offset, then shift-x lock your turrets to a geographic location like the side of an island or exit/entrance to a chokepoint. Your turrets will train to that location as you maneuver and your bearing to that point changes. If you are closing quickly with the enemy directly off your bow, use control-x to lock your turrets on one port or starboard relative bearing that you intend to swing towards the enemy prior to engaging. The forward turret salvo or two you lose prior to maneuvering is quickly overcome when your aft turrets come online. In either case, remember to press x to release your turret lock before you fire on your target so the guns train to your reticle.

Prior to target aspect change or major maneuver: If you are engaging a target on your starboard side and intend to maneuver to put it on your port side, it is not optimal to keep your reticle on the target during your turn. Your forward turrets will follow throughout the turn, but your aft turrets won't start their >180 degree traverse from starboard to port until the target passes your bow. That could delay your aft turrets coming online for 15-45 seconds depending on your rate of turn, relative bearing drift of the target, and turret rotation rate. The better option is, immediately after firing your last full starboard salvo, shift your cursor to your port side and control-x lock your turrets to a relative bearing on that side. All turrets will begin their traverse to the port side. Then, start your turn. Once your bow crosses the target, you hit x to release the lock and begin firing with your forward turrets until the aft turrets come online. Again, remember to press x to release your turret lock before you fire on your target so the guns train to your reticle.

Remember that your optimal firing situation in a BB is at a range close enough for the accuracy of your guns to provide enough hits and far enough to not allow the relative motion of a target to exceed your turret rotation rate. Your aspect angle to the target should ideally be the absolute minimum that brings all turrets to bear while presenting as small of a target as possible.

The same concept holds true for cruiser or destroyer batteries, but with their faster rotation rate it rarely matters.

Gotta say, I've been doing this in my BBs and it's netted me many, many citadel crits and instant-kills on cruisers when they clear an island and find me with my guns already locked in and targeted.

Edited by Syanda

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

"The same concept holds true for cruiser or destroyer batteries, but with their faster rotation rate it rarely matters." - I take it that he doesn't regularly play Japanese destroyers?

At any rate, this is sound advice. I probably will need to be getting used to using CTRL+X more regularly though, because in the heat of battle I always forget that such a thing exists.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Technically, and I've tested on the lower tie Japanese DDs, it's easier to just lock the turrets to one prearranged side, and use the ship's turnrate to align the turrets for snap shots. That way, the time it takes for the turrets to converge on a point is pretty minimal. DDs aren't built for gun exchanges, anyway.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Unfotunately you cant lock turrets, i always hate it when my rear turret is dancing

Ctrl-X.

Shift-X locks your turrets to a sector, so they'll always rotate to keep that sector aimed at. Good for turning. Ctrl-X locks your turret on the bearing your cursor was pointed at when Ctrl-X was hit.

Beta Tester
823 posts
4,971 battles

Technically, and I've tested on the lower tie Japanese DDs, it's easier to just lock the turrets to one prearranged side, and use the ship's turnrate to align the turrets for snap shots. That way, the time it takes for the turrets to converge on a point is pretty minimal. DDs aren't built for gun exchanges, anyway.

Lower tier 2-5 aren't so bad.  It middle tier (6+) and above that are very painful.

Sign in to follow this