Marisp17

Video: Glorious Imperial Japanese Navy

23 comments in this topic

Super Tester
149 posts

Hello everyone, 

I wanna post this video here to show the great Imperial Battleships in action and Japan's history, please note that this is not a propaganda video and that I am not glorifying Japan's Military Might in any way, so please enjoy, I love the first parts up until 3:30. 

* IJN FUSO is my personal favorite with it's firepower and an 11 Story Pagoda Mast.* :) 

Edited by Marisp17

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Its no problem if its a historical video, and the thumbnail doesn't show the rising sun emblem. So the above video won't get removed, as its on an external site (youtube), and the video thumbnail doesn't display it. Same reason why the mod is OK to be posted on the forums, as long the post doesnt show any screenshots with the mod applied.

/AALG

Moderation team, WoWS Asia

679 posts
3,488 battles

Just remember that the entire IJN strategy in WW2 was a total and utter failure.  The IJN's strategy was to force the US navy into set piece battles where early war Japanese advantage in numbers and tonnage (especially in terms of BBs) and destroy the US navy. 

The strategy failed for 2 main reasons,

1) Despite the aggressive strategy the IJN failed on every occasion to commit their forces, allowing US air-supremacy to out sink them in ever class of ship.

2) US code advantage, The Brits had cracked the IJN secret code and knew all IJN ship movements (So while the IJN was attempting to ambush the US fleet, it was the US fleet that ambushed the IJN on three occasions)

The failure of the IJN commitment to their own strategy(early war) cost them any chance in the war as Tojo famously quoted.

The US ships, build at the beginning or mid war were 10 years more technologically advanced.  So had the desired big ship battles ever occurred during the late war period there can be no doubt of the effect of improved guns and radar in any big fleet actions.

Beta Tester
22 posts

Agree with what Dante said above...in general the "US Government" knew almost every Japanese step in Advance...even the "surprise" attack on Pearl Harbor was not really a surprise.... 

The Americans were due decrypted communication between Tokyo and Japanese Embassy always up to date. Even before the attack the US Gov had ignored almost submissive efforts of the Japanese peacekeeping operations. Since the Japanese was the oil turned off, they could not help. Japan was forced into the war with the US and then presented as the only one aggressor...

Very good book to this topic http://www.amazon.de/Pearl-Harbor-Eine-amerikanische-Katastrophe/dp/3806112266/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZADFA1W8FBYJTBXWAF1

By the way I found the WG decision not to show the Rising Sun Flag 旭日旗 in WoWs very respectful to all Chinese, Filipinos and Korean. This flag is not forbidden and still in use by the Japanese navy, but not very welcomed in the region....

Always wondered why in World of Tanks some clans use this flag as clan logo background....not to mention about the clans which use Waffen ᛋᛋ unit insigna...esp. one involved in war crimes

Beta Tester
142 posts
484 battles

By the way I found the WG decision not to show the Rising Sun Flag 旭日旗 in WoWs very respectful to all Chinese, Filipinos and Korean. This flag is not forbidden and still in use by the Japanese navy, but not very welcomed in the region....

Always wondered why in World of Tanks some clans use this flag as clan logo background....not to mention about the clans which use Waffen ᛋᛋ unit insigna...esp. one involved in war crimes

It's a flag and an insignia, which has no power over anyone if they should choose not to allow it.

As for the insignia, these days, most of the younger generation don't really even know what it is...or represented. For that matter, most of the younger people don't associate the Rising Sun flag with anything other than history in the US. Again, it is something which can only have power over someone if they allow it. I had family who died in WWII at Pearl Harbor and the fighting which followed. Should I then hold this against people for the rest of my life? Am I suppose to consider a flag a sign of hatred or whatever you wish to consider it? There is a LONG list of things which can be associated with flags, insignia and the like, but if we continue to allow such things to fester, the world is going to keep going to hell in a hand basket, especially if we can't get over something as truly insignificant as a pixellated flag placed on a some pixels of a ship in a game who's designers have absolutely nothing to do with what happened so many years ago, most of the world has either forgotten or learned you can't hold on to hate. The persons who committed the crimes / atrocities associated with these 'symbols' are well and truly dead. I'd suggest we let ghost rest and put hatred to bed. I'm not saying forget, but I think it might be time to get past it.

I have to say, I don't know if WG's decision to eliminate a historical flag from the game was respectful, or a sound 'business' decision, since they have a fair few clients who are Chinese, Filipino and Korean. *shrug* It's possible it could have been both. Be that as it may, the flag has been pulled from the game and the forums, so hopefully this has given some people who feel so...whatever it is, some peace of mind.

I wonder if the Japanese people will now request the US flag be removed from the game due to the bombings of their people by the US President at the time? I'd be curious to see what the response would be. I mean, in all honesty, they have the right to request it, considering what was done to Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

However, you then open up a huge can of worms about other things. Those in the US might feel they are being slighted due to this historic reason, or that one and request the German flag / etc be removed. See, it just snowballs...

Beta Tester
22 posts

Well Grizzly I understand what you like to say. But the German Hakenkreuzfahne and all other NSDAP flags are not allowed in the Republik Österreich and Bundesrepublik Deutschland by law unless is in a Historical content. For the Japanese  Rising Sun Flag is not forbidden but the acceptance in Asia is still very low, because unlike Germany even nowadays Japan will not deal with his own history. Recently the Abe Government even decided to change existing schoolbooks with their own history version, which created diplomatic tensions with Korea and China.

You also correctly mention US flag in this content...hmm yes America did war crimes even after the second world war but the majority of people still see the American Flag in a positive content and connect with a lot of good things. Actually many people which don`t like American not really hate American... is more the US government structure they not like. America is mainly ruled by company's and lobby's instead of the ordinary people. Per example General Motors produced in 2nd WW trucks for the US Army and German Army (Opel Blitz...) at the same time. Even Coca Cola delivered soft drinks to both sides...on German side it was called as FANTA softdrink (from the German word Fantastisch)....War as a Buisness modell is for many US company's very lucrative, even nowadays...

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

No need to discuss the removal of the Rising Sun flag. WG has made the decision, it is not up for debate, nor is it going to be changed. Further debate on the issue of WG's decision in this matter can result in sanctions.

Proceed at your own peril.

/AALG

Moderation team WoWS Asia.

Beta Tester
22 posts

No need to discuss the removal of the Rising Sun flag. WG has made the decision, it is not up for debate, nor is it going to be changed. Further debate on the issue of WG's decision in this matter can result in sanctions.

Proceed at your own peril.

/AALG

Moderation team WoWS Asia.

well, AALG sanctions rarely achieve the desired results....very likely this problematic topic will still come up several times in future (Mods, Stream, clan logo, Japanese Fanbase etc...)

Edited by DePunischa

Beta Tester
142 posts
484 battles

Sanctions? Is that like embargoes? *shrug* You're  the mod, do as you see fit. 

In my defense, if I'm allowed one, AALG, the debate was over before it started as I stated in my post. WG has clearly decided to remove it and so it is. I'm stating the opinion that the persons who allow themselves to look at these symbols / insignia and be affected by them in detrimental ways need to look at trying to put the past behind them. We need to learn from the past, good and bad, and try to create a better society without  possible old hatreds taking over the advancement of genuine relationships between nations.

Of course, that is probably far too much to hope for in my lifetime, but I try to hold out some hope for my children.

Beta Tester
22 posts

Well Gr1zzly I think your hope is under bad stars....here in South East Asia the situation worsen every month...so many possible conflicts can escalate anytime... per example last week the Japanese navy put in service the largest ship since end of 2nd World War. Officially is called Helicopter destroyer because Japan can not have an Aircraft Carrier without changing the constitution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izumo-class_helicopter_destroyer 

USA like to sell the F-35 Marine Version to Japan which fit well on this carrier...of course China and Taiwan are worried now because they have the Senkaku island dispute with each other... 

Beta Tester
142 posts
484 battles

DePunisha, unfortunately I'm aware my hopes are mostly in vain, but sometimes it's all a person had. 

It's amazing how the world is capable of building yet more weapons in which to kill one another and yet we still haven't found a cure for cancer.

I'd say we have our priorities wronged.

To the OP, thank you for the video. From a person who loves history, no matter what nation it comes from, it is appreciated.

16 posts

Well Gr1zzly I think your hope is under bad stars....here in South East Asia the situation worsen every month...so many possible conflicts can escalate anytime... per example last week the Japanese navy put in service the largest ship since end of 2nd World War. Officially is called Helicopter destroyer because Japan can not have an Aircraft Carrier without changing the constitution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izumo-class_helicopter_destroyer 

USA like to sell the F-35 Marine Version to Japan which fit well on this carrier...of course China and Taiwan are worried now because they have the Senkaku island dispute with each other... 

You do not talk for the rest of South East Asia. The big bully in the region is China.

The islands China took from the Philippines.

The Spratlys Islands dispute.

China threathening to make South China Sea its terrritory just because the name "China" is in South China Sea.

China  constructed military observation posts on islands in Vietnam waters. That was what China wanted to do at Senkaku Islands but they will have to face Taiwan and Japan.

We have all been bullied by China. Only Japan dares to stand up to them.

Beta Tester
22 posts

zam2311 to talk deeper about Geopolitics make less sense here because it will bring no agreement...if you ask 20 people then you will receive 20 different answers. The big bully is also not China...the dispute in South China Sea is between 10 different nations... Per example only the Spratley islands are claimed by Malaysia, Brunei, Vietnam, Philippines, China and Indonesia. All of these smaller points of tension are subsets of a larger and even more fundamental dispute among the south China Sea nations. One problem is already that nations like Japan, Taiwan and Philippines are not really independent nations. Especially Taiwan is even not recognized as a country by US, but is like Japan a good place to sell weapons. US Military will build up 8 new military bases in Japan and Philippines alone in the coming years... Many people are against this, which caused per example recently a lot of protest between Japanese Government and Okinawa prefecture.  Another problem is the Vietnamese exclusive economic zone which count around 60% of the South China Sea also not meet the criteria under Untied Nation convention of the law of the sea. As you can see there is a lot conflict potential in the region.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Yes agreed this topic may too complex and too hot for Asia server, because it will be the future main area of maritime warware in Asia. 

No, it's a forum rule.

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

well, if you follow strict the forum rules then you can delete 50% of all posts in every forum..

Arguing with the Mods about the forum rules is against the rules as well.  If you have an issue with the way the forums have been moderated PM one of the GM's/Admins.

2.8 Discussing disciplinary actions

Discussion or disputing of disciplinary actions is prohibited within the forums.

This category includes:

• Creating posts or threads to discuss or dispute disciplinary actions taken against a player in game or on the forums
  • Creating posts or threads to discuss or dispute moderators, moderator decisions or actions

Appeals on sanctions received or questions and suggestions relating to rule enforcement are to be submitted to support and are not to be discussed within the forums.