Sign in to follow this  
OneFitzableBoi

How to not suck at the Bismarck?

5 comments in this topic

2 posts
840 battles

Hey guys, I just got the Bismarck now, full-stock. 

Loved this ship even while reading about it while I was a kid, so I'm really hyped to get to play with it. But I seem to have a lot of trouble playing it properly. I've got a 13-point cap on it, built for secondary as of now (PM, AR, BoS, AFT, only MFCSA missing, will be spec-ing for durability after that). I can't even get proper salvos in! :Smile_ohmy:

I've had some experience in brawling since I've read from the start that KM BBs were balanced in the game to be like that. But the higher you go in tiers, the closer to impossible it's become to get in and brawl properly. I mean... is it still even viable? I've had a T10 cruiser shave 22k off of me in a single salvo behind an island, GDI. Another DD gunboat was able to get the same amount by lighting me up with HE. I've had more fun with the Nurnberg even if it's a glass ship.

I rarely get my account to premium unless I can dedicate time to play, so I end up using 4+ hours of Bismarck gameplay just bleeding my credits out trying to get me a decent first win. TL;DR YOUR Experiences with it, how you play the ship, upgrades, damn it even how to aim with the main guns properly, lol!

I'll take any info I can just to make the Bismarck fun to play instead of being a showpiece in my account. :Smile_sad:

600 posts
7,580 battles

I wont recommend secondary build bismarck given now the amount of HE spamming ship we have now

Go for gun build

Get Aiming Mods Modification 1 to reduce the trollish gun dispersion

Lesser and lesser KM BBs appearing now given their counterparts do way much better job and easier to play

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles

I just grinded out Bismarck last month with full secondary build. It's quite fun, as long as you don't overextend cause the secondary fireworks are tempting and people often  jump in without taking proper notice about the situation. Remember, Bismarck secondaries work best when you can maintain the range. If people are rushing you or kiting you, secondaries will lose their effectiveness pretty fast.

Be patient, and take a good look at the minimap. Keep your hydro running when you know there is an unspotted DD nearby. Bismarck armor is pretty useless against battleship, but the armor will block most HE shells by DD and light cruisers. Yes they will set fire on you, but they will not do much damage in terms of HE alpha, so do not panic.

Take your time with Bismarck, cause FdG is even harder.

2 posts
840 battles

Thanks a lot for the info, guys! I'll try to do that; maintain a proper engaging distance, and closing in to 10-8km~ when I'm certain I can take out a ship quickly. T-that is the main strategy in the secondary Bismarck, right? 

And how about for upgrades? I'm not sure what to put in the Bismarck. I mean, of course we'll mandatorily have SBM2, and DCSM 1. But how about upgrades like DCPM1 instead of MAM1? And would CSM1 be better than TASM1 since we need to get close enough for secondary action. 

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles
3 hours ago, OneFitzableBoi said:

But how about upgrades like DCPM1 instead of MAM1? And would CSM1 be better than TASM1 since we need to get close enough for secondary action. 

I'd recommend MAM1. Also TASM1 is hard to justify, your hydro should already be enough. CSM1 is usually a better choice cause in a secondary build you do not usually have CE, so CSM1 can still reduce some detection range. But if you want to go all out, with the special German Commander that has buffs to Vigilance, you can think about TASM1.

Sign in to follow this