You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
waichung1823

Which BB line worth to grind?

52 comments in this topic

192 posts
1,019 battles

Im just 36K XP away from NC for US BB line  and i just stopped grinding for UK BB line after getting KGV lately because  I heard from others that Monarch is bad and the Conqueror are community most hated ship.

Right now i still have 3 nations BB line left which are German, IJN and Baguetta.  Among these 3, which BB line is much better to grind first? 

Current Progress for the 3 nations 

IMG_20181007_142128.png

IMG_20181007_142117.png

IMG_20181007_142057.png

Edited by waichung1823

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
2 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

Im just 36K XP away from NC for US BB line  and i just stopped grinding for UK BB line after getting KGV lately because they I heard Monarch is bad and the Conqueror are community most hated ship.

Right now i still have 3 nations BB line left which are German, IJN and Baguetta.  Among these 3, which BB line is much better to grind first? 

IMG_20181007_142128.png

IMG_20181007_142117.png

IMG_20181007_142057.png

Any is fine , though you must  be warned that German BB is outmetaed currently and the line is very painful to grind past tier 8 and feature unreliable main guns.

French line has its up and down , and have some very unique ships along the way. But the frequent style change may not be likened to your taste. Its armour is more battlecruiser level than real BB level.

IJN is kinda a boring mill. Consistent at all level , but lack the excitement except for maybe the Hotel at the end.

192 posts
1,019 battles
8 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Any is fine , though you must  be warned that German BB is outmetaed currently and the line is very painful to grind past tier 8 and feature unreliable main guns.

French line has its up and down , and have some very unique ships along the way. But the frequent style change may not be likened to your taste. Its armour is more battlecruiser level than real BB level.

IJN is kinda a boring mill. Consistent at all level , but lack the excitement except for maybe the Hotel at the end.

I prefer to have decent Speed + reliable Armour. I have fed up with slow speed and unable to catch up with my teammates. 

[ANZAC]
340 posts
11,487 battles

Im early into the Monarch grind 12 games. And so far its not been too horrible, even the T10 games. You do have to go filthy HE spam mode.

My sample size is too small to be truly indicitive  . But im not hating it. I just need to shower after every game to wash off the HE stench.

245 posts
5,809 battles

Conquer is community most hated ship because of the way many seem to play it. Namely sits in the back spamming HE and farming damage instead of pushing flanks, helping with the objectives and taking damage for cruisers, which is what people would LIKE BBs to do.

That and BB captains hate extinguishing 2 fires, only for the next salvo to light 3. At 20km plus range.

309 posts
4,060 battles
49 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

Im just 36K XP away from NC for US BB line  and i just stopped grinding for UK BB line after getting KGV lately because  I heard from others that Monarch is bad and the Conqueror are community most hated ship.

Ah, you have the same decision as me. I stoped grinding British BB when I was reached KGV but one day I will buy her again for fun purposes. Anyway. IMO the best BB line to grind for is French. Though they have thin armor they can at least tank some tier 7 caliber. They also have a good artillery power especially the Lyon. But if you want to grind a BB line that has decent speed and reliable armor, you can choose German BB. But their dispersion is god awfully inaccurate. A sigma of 1.8 feels like 1.5 and sometimes feels like 2.0 which is weird. If you are one of those players who has aggressive play style, you can choose this particular line. But to me, French are the best since their accuracy and speed is reliable.

104 posts
9,023 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Conquer is community most hated ship because of the way many seem to play it. Namely sits in the back spamming HE and farming damage instead of pushing flanks, helping with the objectives and taking damage for cruisers, which is what people would LIKE BBs to do.

That and BB captains hate extinguishing 2 fires, only for the next salvo to light 3. At 20km plus range.

Because it can't take damage for cruisers the way Montana, GK and Yamato can.

Conqueror's playstyle relies on either HE spamming from a safe distance or abusing its concealment to get into positions other BBs can't get into, then use its heal and the aforementioned concealment to get the hell out of there before it gets monged down to death.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,761 battles

I personally love the French BB line, from Normandie up it's great.  Lyon is my favourite BB in the game (quantity has a quality all its own...), and Republique has just amazing guns.  From T6 up the only weak point is Richelieu, and even that isn't too bad.

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles

I would say, do not think about what community hates or loves. If you are loving the line, just go for it. Personally I'd like to finish closest t10 first before starting other new lines.

603 posts
7,583 battles
7 hours ago, waichung1823 said:

I prefer to have decent Speed + reliable Armour. I have fed up with slow speed and unable to catch up with my teammates. 

FRENCH!!!

Slowest is 25knots in the line i think

But the gun can get take out easier than the other BBs

[ZA]
163 posts
7,364 battles
14 hours ago, Gummilicious said:

FRENCH!!!

Slowest is 25knots in the line i think

But the gun can get take out easier than the other BBs

French have shit armor at high tier, I would suggest get up to Montana first. Since it is a decent well balanced BB and you are already up to NC. The speed isn't a problem anymore.

2 posts
7,498 battles

I got the G.Kurfurst as my first T10 BB and have so far accumulated nearly 2m shipXP in the last 8mos after unlocking it. She is fast and has the most HP in the game but suffers in exchanges beyond 17 km. She is good at ambushing from behind islands for quick broadside salvos and kiting away from the survivors with long ranged secondaries as well as quick-loading main guns. She is good at random battles but will struggle in ranked battles. For those fights, I use the Yamato.

Edited by BlackLancer2014

342 posts
7,058 battles
30 minutes ago, BlackLancer2014 said:

She is good at random battles but will struggle in ranked battles. For those fights, I use the Yamato.

Who doesn't? lol Ranked is literally world of Yamato.

[151ST]
1,013 posts
4,505 battles

IJN BB line was a lot of fun for me, Izumo aside.

The only issue is AA, which from 7+ you start running into less CVs so isn't much of an issue.

Even the dreadnaughts (Fuso, Nagato) aren't abysmally slow, having 25 knot speed instead of the horrible 21 of the USN ones.

The IJN BBs either have lots of decent guns or a few far bigger ones.

I'll be honest, Yamato for me feels underwhelming. The reason is that for most of the line (again Izumo is the spud aka exception) you are quite mobile, quite tanky and hit hard. Yamato and even Izumo to a degree are far more static in play-style.

TBH, I can't wait for IJN BC line as Kongo and Amagi were stand-outs for me, Fuso and Nagato only barely lose out due to the slower speed and less agility.

Yes I realise we're years away from it.

Note to the OP, if you do go down IJN BB line, don't get hurt by Myogi, you aren't supposed to snipe but sit at CA/CL max range and delete people. (12-15km). Many folks hate Myogi due to gun accuracy, but that's usually because they are firing at 18km. She doesn't have bad accuracy, it's just noticeable due to only having a few guns. Personally I do really well in her.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,761 battles
6 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

I'll be honest, Yamato for me feels underwhelming. The reason is that for most of the line (again Izumo is the spud aka exception) you are quite mobile, quite tanky and hit hard. Yamato and even Izumo to a degree are far more static in play-style.

Amagi is the pinnacle of the IJN BB line, it's combination of amazing guns, good tankiness, and maneuverability makes for a superb BB.  Izumo and Yamato are a disappointing change of direction for the line into even more gun focus at the expense of decent armour schemes and the ability to maneuvre.

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

If you're up to NC I'd suggest continuing with the USN line before starting the grind up another line considering you'd be starting fresh it doesn't make sense to start over when you're closest to completing USN BB.

104 posts
9,023 battles
On 10/8/2018 at 12:50 PM, BlackLancer2014 said:

I got the G.Kurfurst as my first T10 BB and have so far accumulated nearly 2m shipXP in the last 8mos after unlocking it. She is fast and has the most HP in the game but suffers in exchanges beyond 17 km. She is good at ambushing from behind islands for quick broadside salvos and kiting away from the survivors with long ranged secondaries as well as quick-loading main guns. She is good at random battles but will struggle in ranked battles. For those fights, I use the Yamato.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, dieselhead said:

Who doesn't? lol Ranked is literally world of Yamato.

But secondary spec GK was fine for this season. I've seen skilled players pull it off in the smaller map, and conceptually I could see it working.

[AE]
199 posts
9,474 battles

First off, I am going to qualify the following remarks with:

I don't play PVP.

Yamato: Excellent guns. Only BB that can consistently citadel enemy ships front on. A lot of people say "its a one trick pony", but when that one trick is that you can do massive damage to an enemy at extreme range bow on, its a good trick. Yes, the turret rotation is a bitch, and its citadel itself is easily penned. Average AA.

Montana: Great guns, fantastic AA. Good brawler due better turret traverse than Yammi.

Conqueror: Don't get close and spam HE and she is fine.

Kurfurst: Beast. Great armour, average AA. Take the IFHE skill and watch those secondaries chew them up. Biggest issue, and it is a serious issue, is that unlike the previous BBs mentioned, any attempt to keep the bow pointed to the enemy limits you to the two front turrets, rear ones easily blocked and to bring them to bare means broadsiding. Best positive is near impossible to citadel when broadsiding. Engaging other Kurfursts I just aim above the belt for a good 15-20k salvo.

From a PVE point of view, all these ships should supply you with plenty of damage, allowing quick commander improvement. (Yes less XP than randoms, but playing 2-3 wins in PVE vs one possible win in PVP in same time frame makes PVE a definite contender.

As far as your situation, I hated the NC. Iowa was a big improvement, and I ditched the NC immediately. Once I got the Montana, I ditched the Iowa.

Still have Amagi, (and Kii) and Yammi. Don't like the Izumo, ditched it.

In fact, as per WG games, the tier IXs across the board are, I believe, deliberately average to temp you to free XP to tier X.

The Montana and Yammi do monster damage regularly. The Kur slightly less. The Conqueror the least (I don't bother switching to AP, even when the Brit AP is fantastic against cruisers due less overpens.)

One thing to remember, is that currently the meta sees few carriers in randoms (or so multiple community contributors will have me believe), but the new PVE games see frequent carrier involvement (about 75% of games maybe?). So aircraft are encountered far more frequently botting. BUT, the carriers send the strike aircraft out piecemeal, as they become available, so you don't tend to get focused and one shotted by them like you do in randoms.

192 posts
1,019 battles
37 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

First off, I am going to qualify the following remarks with:

I don't play PVP.

Yamato: Excellent guns. Only BB that can consistently citadel enemy ships front on. A lot of people say "its a one trick pony", but when that one trick is that you can do massive damage to an enemy at extreme range bow on, its a good trick. Yes, the turret rotation is a bitch, and its citadel itself is easily penned. Average AA.

Montana: Great guns, fantastic AA. Good brawler due better turret traverse than Yammi.

Conqueror: Don't get close and spam HE and she is fine.

Kurfurst: Beast. Great armour, average AA. Take the IFHE skill and watch those secondaries chew them up. Biggest issue, and it is a serious issue, is that unlike the previous BBs mentioned, any attempt to keep the bow pointed to the enemy limits you to the two front turrets, rear ones easily blocked and to bring them to bare means broadsiding. Best positive is near impossible to citadel when broadsiding. Engaging other Kurfursts I just aim above the belt for a good 15-20k salvo.

From a PVE point of view, all these ships should supply you with plenty of damage, allowing quick commander improvement. (Yes less XP than randoms, but playing 2-3 wins in PVE vs one possible win in PVP in same time frame makes PVE a definite contender.

As far as your situation, I hated the NC. Iowa was a big improvement, and I ditched the NC immediately. Once I got the Montana, I ditched the Iowa.

Still have Amagi, (and Kii) and Yammi. Don't like the Izumo, ditched it.

In fact, as per WG games, the tier IXs across the board are, I believe, deliberately average to temp you to free XP to tier X.

The Montana and Yammi do monster damage regularly. The Kur slightly less. The Conqueror the least (I don't bother switching to AP, even when the Brit AP is fantastic against cruisers due less overpens.)

One thing to remember, is that currently the meta sees few carriers in randoms (or so multiple community contributors will have me believe), but the new PVE games see frequent carrier involvement (about 75% of games maybe?). So aircraft are encountered far more frequently botting. BUT, the carriers send the strike aircraft out piecemeal, as they become available, so you don't tend to get focused and one shotted by them like you do in randoms.

I actually wanted to grind Yammi at first, but i realise the grind was actually painful because the line is inconsistent of BB mixed with BC. In that case i started USN BB at least it has tough armour and hard hitting gun.

Surprisingly, you are the first user i have encounter that hated NC, many people skipped Colorado just for NC. 

I have slow down my grinding for UK BB line after KGV, because i dont like the gameplay, full time spamming HE, indeed damage is insane and Arsonist Medal Printer. Well, that doesn't mean i will completely stop, sometimes i just bring her out and laugh gracefully at those burning ships. And i just surprise a DD which is just 2 km hiding behind the island, my 10 Guns KGV instant kill him lol. 

Probaly, i will grind German first, because brawling is my favourite things to do. But i heard of lot of inconsistent Gun performance, and the dispersion is unfriendly. I actually wanted to give German a try because of Gnes something sau, i want to try BB with torps lol. Probaly my torps can hit a DD :') 

Edited by waichung1823

Beta Tester
645 posts
3,511 battles

As a BB player , let me experience with you which is good.

If you like set people the world on fire its United Kingdom . ( However only King George V T7 - Conqueror T10 is the only ship that burn people down to the ground, making it the most " IHATEYOU " Kind of player but then again , don't care about them. But if you are T III to VI , do not use HE. )

For IJN the only thing about them is their gun smash people so hard but if you have T9 Izumo, oh boy its practically you will not like the experience until Yamato. ( Amagi at Tier 8 is going to Battlecruiser line, so it means if its USA BB hitting to your sides, its going to make you free citadels from others unlike Fuso and Nagato ).

Muricah : Slowest boi but they hit like hammer of freedom for Uncle Sam ( From T VI to T VII you might gonna feel abit slow until North Carolina, but due to " Super heavy shells , you need to make a more leading to targets . )

Frenchie : I have no knowledge for them but as far as i know of Tier VI - X they starting to get faster, making it quite the fast bote Republique as Tier X is going to make you an Oversized Pocket Battleship like Graf Spee.

Sieg Heil Bote : The most underrated BB like . They played like Medium to Brawl, but man oh man Their Late tier BB had so many secondaries , fire assured to it but at the cost of having low volume of guns. Being the longest hull BB , DD loves you. But cruisers hate you due to so many damn much Secondaries.

Beta Tester
645 posts
3,511 battles
On 10/7/2018 at 3:26 PM, Grygus_Triss said:

This is me, i want to cleanse you Yamato and GK bois.

But i do support you guys. But with bot ruining my day i cant help...

Edited by LawrenceXVIII

192 posts
1,019 battles
23 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Muricah : Slowest boi but they hit like hammer of freedom for Uncle Sam ( From T VI to T VII you might gonna feel abit slow until North Carolina, but due to " Super heavy shells , you need to make a more leading to targets . )

Yeah i m just 25k xp away from NC, finally after South Carolina to Colorado, tough armor but 21 knots :/  NC is good but the side armour is meh, every turn you made need extreme situation awareness, i can even citadel with New Mex 

23 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Sieg Heil Bote : The most underrated BB like . They played like Medium to Brawl, but man oh man Their Late tier BB had so many secondaries , fire assured to it but at the cost of having low volume of guns. Being the longest hull BB , DD loves you. But cruisers hate you due to so many damn much Secondaries

I would like to try the Gne something sau, because it is interesting to have Torps on BB lol.... 

Frankly i dont like high tier games, not sure why it actually pressurise me, because a single mistake can be punish instantly. After NC i will probaly slow down to Tier X, and start a new line. 

Edited by waichung1823

[LBAS]
163 posts
3,925 battles

Stick with the US line until you get the Montana.

You know, for all everyone seems to praise the NC, I hated it. I just couldnt get it playing right. That said, excellent AA and powerful guns and average speed. Of course, compared to the previous US BB's it's brilliantly fast. The Iowa is fantastic to play, I was about 20 games past affording the Montana when I even bothered to check if I had earned enough XP on the Iowa, because it is so much fun. Montana? Hands down. my favorite BB. Speed isnt great, but the guns turn fast, the secondaries are ok, if short ranged and the accuracy means that if a Cruiser sits even remotely broadside to you within 15km, you can murder it.

The Germans are fun (the FDG  at T9 is attrocious, I loathed it). The fun begins with the Gneisenau and accelerates to Bismark which really sets the standard for how you play a KM BB. It's fast, turns fast, the guns turn fast the secondaries set many things on fire and you are forced to brawl by your terrible dispersion.  That said, very fun to play, the entire line.

The RN BB's sadly, are very much 'sit back and spam HE'. Sure, if you have a broaside Cruiser you can wreck with AP, but..... those arent common.

IJN is a solid, uninteresting line which mostly seems to revolve around 'sit back and snipe'. You have good guns, mediocre armour and......good guns?

Frenchness is just fun. Once you hit the Lyon, things get crazy. Up until now, you have been playing typical BB's. The Lyon is a shotgun. You turn to position your guns and then just hammer at close range for massive damage. Richie Rich is a bit unusual until you get used to her. I found sitting passive and then hammering things while they charge you, while you reverse, is highly effective. Then, when you are out of sight, speed to another position, lather, rinse and repeat. I never got the hang of Alsace. It has the smallest guns for the Tier in BB's but massive penetration. I had to aim just below the water line, to let the shells slow a bit before hitting armour, to get Citadels. Otherwise, expect a lot of over penetrations. Lots of people like it though. Republique is just fun to play. Very fast, great reload and hard hitting guns. If too many people target you, you can go dark and run away faster than anything but a DD. Excellent at Kiting too.

58 posts
7,189 battles

BB is never really much fun compared to say DD or even cruiser but the French and the German are really something, no they are not the greatest but they are just fun to play. US and IJN are your basic mainstay BB , RN is like well ... let's have a cup of tea and " stay a while and listen " ,, back off a bit if the cruiser and DD come along and then again. I cannot wait to have W finally giving us te full Italian BB line though