You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

What is your biggest problem when playing WoWS in the beginning and how did you deal with it?

27 comments in this topic

314 posts
4,081 battles

I'm not asking for advice. Just share your experience about your biggest problem when you are new to the game. And tell me how did you solve or deal with it.

Comments from unicums are highly appreciated.

[LNA]
1,661 posts
10,447 battles
23 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

I'm not asking for advice. Just share your experience about your biggest problem when you are new to the game. And tell me how did you solve or deal with it.

Overly aggressive. This was a hard to die habit for me. Since low tier games are very short ranged , and accuracy is non existant . you have to push the gas and fight CQC. I often over extend , still do now thanks to the early short ranged fire fight i used to play at low tier.

1,105 posts

the first time i play WoWs, my friend lie about how long to get nagato. he said it took 6 month of full grinding, because 1 match give you 200~500XP. also he said cruiser is the noob friendly.....

i start pick the german cruiser (unbuffed version).... i thought i will quit because nurnberg is so sux, and it did sux...... 

try battleship nassau, GOT OUTRANGED BY BOGATYAR, WHAT THE HEEEEECCCK, 

try Kawachi....Myogi, moar sux.... DD?? what can small fry do?

my friend keep telling me to avoid playing CV because its too hardest....

one day a i am just watching drifter opening..... its look cool! so i try CV (still have manual)

GOSH~ CV IS THE MOST EASY CLASS FOR NOOBS! EZ carry, EZ damage, and guess what? just took 1 month to get Hiryu by playing casually!

in the end i betray my waifu..... the reason i play WoWs is because Nagato.....

playing CV is solving a lot of problem...

- no need to worry about Bot CV in higher tier

-  EZ kill

- hardest to kill

- most rewarding class..

the bots rigging CV wont be happened if everyone follow my advice and play CV instead

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Dying early all the time because it was fun to rush enemy ships and torping them

Looked up people like iChase and Notser on YouTube and got gudder. Still a skrub but an okay skrub

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,287 posts

Coming from WoT,  the biggest problem was playing against other players...

Co-op mode has fixed that problem quite well.

Now, I only play against other players when I'm testing - (and I cover the chat on my screen with a post-it note........works wonders for your sanity!)

If they would introduce the same sort of mode in WoT, I would definitely start playing again.

Beta Tester
770 posts
8,629 battles

Yeah, like a few others, for me it was just going in too hard, too fast too strong.

I didn't watch the map to see the flow of battle, I expected to do it all myself.

Many battles now I will just go to 1/4 throttle and observe my team's movement for a minute or so.

Unless I am in a really stealthy DD and I have looked at the enemy's DDs and am reasonably sure if I can spot them first - then I might full speed to a cap or a flank.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts

70% my fault, 30% team's fault (in some games it goes like 1/5 team die before I fire my first salvo...)

I can improve my part by being more careful and do damage on distracted enemy....still far from perfecting it...

Edited by spixys

201 posts
1,033 battles

I just started to play this year. My frenz used to told me that grinding both UK & US line will take you a year. My goal was to reach Til NC and KGV. I just took 7 months to grind til KGV and Colorado, almost complete my goal. 

I have terrible Win rate because my BBs died a lot in low tier battle due to showing broadside and overextend. I used to think that BB had superior Armor, immune to everything but i just realise how easily HE spam can take down a BB. Also, i used to think that showing broadside is the best way to get all your guns in action but that was a grave mistake and instantly got deleted :(

Edited by waichung1823

1,342 posts
8,858 battles

I had plenty of problems, like being too aggressive or not knowing how to use aim and use the crosshair in general.

To get better I started watching WoWs Youtubers like iChase, Notser and Flamu.

17 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Overly aggressive. This was a hard to die habit for me. Since low tier games are very short ranged , and accuracy is non existant . you have to push the gas and fight CQC. I often over extend , still do now thanks to the early short ranged fire fight i used to play at low tier.

Yeah my biggest difficulty was not at the low tiers, but rather adjusting to mid-tier play. Imo the low tiers teach you to develop some bad habits.

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
18 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

being a frigging moron with no idea what to do and spamming ships to rush for 3000+ games

solved it by getting into a small elitist player community that later became my clan and having them shouting at me  "ma de zhi zhang", "cao ni ma, gan ma a"and "sha bi" when I screwed up, best way to learn is through comms, hands down

(anyone interested in the chinese just put in into google)

also, most unicums are long gone from the forums and into their exclusive own little communities so good luck finding actual good insight here

Edited by drakon233

314 posts
4,081 battles
14 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

also, most unicums are long gone from the forums and into their exclusive own little communities so good luck finding actual good insight here

So how about you? Wait a minute. Which means that every time I asking an advice, all of you are just scrubs???

[MEGA]
4,564 posts
17,558 battles
39 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

So how about you? Wait a minute. Which means that every time I asking an advice, all of you are just scrubs???

yes, im the 2nd biggest meme on the forum and a total shitter that never bring detonation flags, go figure

201 posts
1,033 battles
1 hour ago, drakon233 said:

solved it by getting into a small elitist player community that later became my clan and having them shouting at me  "ma de zhi zhang", "cao ni ma, gan ma a"and "sha bi" when I screwed up, best way to learn is through comms, hands down

:cap_haloween:

Edited by waichung1823

201 posts
1,033 battles
7 minutes ago, drakon233 said:

yes, im the 2nd biggest meme on the forum and a total shitter that never bring detonation flags, go figure

I saw your name in Yuro's funtage lol

604 posts
7,594 battles
5 hours ago, drakon233 said:

D R A K O N A T I O N

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
7 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

We are just bunch of losers and scrubs. Just pretending to be know it all while the actual good players aren't looking.

:cap_haloween:

[ZA]
165 posts
7,373 battles
19 hours ago, drakon233 said:

being a frigging moron with no idea what to do and spamming ships to rush for 3000+ games

(anyone interested in the chinese just put in into google)

I have to agree that playing with elites taught me whole new dimensions of how the game could be play. Even reading their casual conversation about how they approach certain situations is very beneficial.

However, watch YouTube is a easiest way to access basic skill and knowledge of the game. You can learn and improve by only watch YouTube video, to high 50s or low 60s win rate. And then the stats itself gives you access to wide range of elite communities. Given you also have good personality and communication skill, good clan pay a lot of attention to those as well.

58 posts
7,189 battles

Communication, and its still the issue even playing at mid to high tier games , these days its like so many players are out for their own only and this reflect in their play style ( always stay behind and never go up front to fight, to support, nor to defend ) only fire upon enemy when absolute tactical superiority hard earned by others, and if anything goes wrong, run ASAP even if full health ) and the worst part is people like this and many more just refuse to communicate, and refuse to listen to reason. They made their pwn move and damn whatever the team need it or not.

This kind of lack of communication is really really bad when start up when being new simply require a lot of learning and one cannot learn from bad samples.

Edited by Mechfori

[LNA]
1,661 posts
10,447 battles
4 hours ago, Mechfori said:

Communication, and its still the issue even playing at mid to high tier games , these days its like so many players are out for their own only and this reflect in their play style ( always stay behind and never go up front to fight, to support, nor to defend ) only fire upon enemy when absolute tactical superiority hard earned by others, and if anything goes wrong, run ASAP even if full health ) and the worst part is people like this and many more just refuse to communicate, and refuse to listen to reason. They made their pwn move and damn whatever the team need it or not.

This kind of lack of communication is really really bad when start up when being new simply require a lot of learning and one cannot learn from bad samples.

You also need to take into account that ASIA has a lot of countries that speak a plethora of languages. And worst of all , most of the languages are from different origin and culture , making guesses near impossible. Good luck finding one that understand English , the community here is very very small.

[AE]
200 posts
9,488 battles

Thinking I could shoot. Sheer experience is only way to improve.

When I first started I used to rage at WG for making the cruisers so superior to Battleships. I used my Murmansk and others to simply reign down hellfire on BBs and used to think "poor pathetic BB bastards". I was convinced that WG had got it all wrong. When I played BBs I couldn't stand firing a broadside once every 30 seconds or so, and getting 1200-5000 damage, compared to the incessant HE burning me down every 5-8 seconds.

But this is because, even thought I had come from tanks, and considered myself a great deflection shooter, I really didn't yet  have the hang of firing a BBs guns. Many thousands of games later (mostly PVE) I realised that my accuracy had sucked, but that the rapid fire of CAs had covered my poor shooting up. Once my eye came in, I came to realise that CAs are deadmeat after tier 5 or so. (at earlier tiers they outrange BBs so they are superior). Now I play almost all BB and DD, with a little CA and CV thrown in to break it up. Only CAs I tend to play are smoke generating ones. All others too vulnerable.

Some other things that I swear by (caveat, I only play PVE now):

1) Like in tanks, do NOT play from stock if you can. If you're middle aged like me, spend your dough, and free xp a ship to good standard before engaging humans. Prior to that you are a liability to the team.

2) Yes, as stated by others, don't over extend. If this means being a mere 1 km further back than a teammate, do it. Proximity is provocative

3) Use other people's smoke. If your in a CA without smoke, but have sonar/radar, don't be afraid to ask DD captains to share their smoke, the synergy of the two makes you more powerful than the some of your parts.

4) If outnumbered, blue line un-ashamedly (against bots). It throws their aim off.

5) Really learn about the ships (tanks) stats - its amazing sitting next to a friend and watching them try to fire 5km torps at a target 10km away. When asked why they did that, they say that they don't look at all that "Stats shit", and just want to "get right into the fun". Of course, they lose, and it isn't fun. Know your ranges. See 7) especially for torps.

6) Watch those teammates with torpedoes. If you are between a teammate with a torpedo armed ship, and the enemy, expect to get it in the ass. ie, be aware of your position.

7) If you are in a DD, be aggressive. Especially at low tier. As mentioned previously, low tier BBs are inaccurate, and have limited secondaries. Quite simply, charging any BB below tier 5-6 in a DD and releasing your torps at point blank range will see one dead BB and almost no damage to you.

8) Playing CVs, and seeing the effect my HE had on low tier ships made me really aware of DOT (Damage over time) effects in this game. If you are in a BB, head on to another BB, use HE in your first few salvos. AP front on, from anything other than a Yamato, is low damage dealing . Set them on fire. A minute later set them on fire again. Switch to AP once close in. In CVs, torp first, then a minute later, bomb. Almost every BB at any tier cannot survive even one sortie of all your groups.