Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

Why and how I can accidentally hit the citadel of an angled BB?

6 comments in this topic

330 posts
4,099 battles

So just had a normal match with my Bayern and accidentally hit the New Mexico's citadel. What's weird? She was fairly angled, I was around 3-5 km from her and I didn't aim at her waterline. If it hit the deck it can't be. Because the arc is not high enough to penetrate it. So how is this can happened? Maybe conning tower is considered as citadel to? Or maybe the shells just hit the auxiliary room which also protect the AA and secondary guns ammunition?

[MEGA]
4,575 posts
17,576 battles
1 hour ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

So just had a normal match with my Bayern and accidentally hit the New Mexico's citadel. What's weird? She was fairly angled, I was around 3-5 km from her and I didn't aim at her waterline. If it hit the deck it can't be. Because the arc is not high enough to penetrate it. So how is this can happened? Maybe conning tower is considered as citadel to? Or maybe the shells just hit the auxiliary room which also protect the AA and secondary guns ammunition?

google

"wows overmatch"

249 posts
347 battles

You have a caliber of 380 mm in Tier VI, you will overmatch any ships armor no matter the angle. Your shell probably hit then overmatch the New Mexico armor and hit the citadel from the front.

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,785 battles
13 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Also, shells can bounce internally or externally back onto ship's deck or citadel roof and cause citadel hits. Very complex physics here comrade.

This is very true.  I remember one of the devs posted a hypothetical where a small calibre gun citadels a Yamato by hitting it in the funnel - it bounces off a 45° angled piece of armour and goes straight down into the citadel.  Freakishly unlikely, but there are a lot of unusual angles on ship's armour, and ships get hit by AP numerous times in a battle, so these sort of things happen.

Sign in to follow this