You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Captain Skills - A Meta list?

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
796 posts
8,666 battles

I have made many errors as I have built captains over the years.

I have made choices that "felt right" or suited what I wanted to be true about any given ship's strengths and weaknesses but as I gather more and more info, I can see I was not choosing the most efficient skills.

This means I have a lot of 15+ point Captains who are less than optimal - mostly USN captains are the issue for me.

I am considering how I might address this.

I have two considerations:

1. I can't afford to en masse spend doubloons (or in game XP for that matter) to respect them. I have a collection of premium ships now and so I may need to rebuild from scratch (this doesn't worry me too much and might actually be a fun endeavour). I might actually go so far as to buy one more if I go in this direction depending on nation and captains that need doing.

2. Is there a collected wisdom for captain skills meta on any given ship? I mean sure I can individually research each ship but has anyone collected a spreadsheet of meta skills so that when I decide what to do, I can easily refer to one source?

Edited by Max_Battle

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,840 posts
4,138 battles

The wiki lists the preferred skills for ships and you can also use the captain skill calculator in Shipcomrade.  

WOWS Fitting Tool will also allow you to see what your chosen skills will do to your ship.

349 posts
7,092 battles

Wiki warships isn't a bad guide. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships  .Type your ship into the search bar and have a read. Most ship types are a pretty similar build anyway as far as captain skills and upgrades go. I mean there are only so many skills suited to DD's or BB's for example. Obviously subtle changes for specific ships.

I use elite captain xp to re-spec captain skills if needed, especially when they have a discount running.

Edited by dieselhead

Beta Tester
796 posts
8,666 battles
18 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

The wiki lists the preferred skills for ships and you can also use the captain skill calculator in Shipcomrade.  

WOWS Fitting Tool will also allow you to see what your chosen skills will do to your ship.

18 minutes ago, dieselhead said:

Wiki warships isn't a bad guide. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships  .Type your ship into the search bar and have a read. Most ship types are a pretty similar build anyway as far as captain skills and upgrades go. I mean there are only so many skills suited to DD's or BB's for example. Obviously subtle changes for specific ships.

I use elite captain xp to re-spec captain skills if needed, especially when they have a discount running.

Perfect.

Hmm. Ok. So if I have some of the 2 star skills but can come back around to get the 3 star skill I should be ok?

Does everyone agree with these ratings on the wiki? Who compiled them?

249 posts
5,827 battles

Wait until the next time WG offers free respec. Often after clan battle seasons or such. Or when new mechanics are brought in. Otherwise, get a 19 pt commander and grind xp to respec.

349 posts
7,092 battles

Most of the captain skills are pretty obvious what you should be using. Then with ships like DD's you need to decide if you're going to gunboat or torp boat and pick the appropriate skills to suit.

BB's are pretty much all the same except the odd exception where you may want to spec for secondary's. 

I'm not really a cruiser player so can't offer too much advice there except to ask your clan mates what they re running and why.

249 posts
5,827 battles
2 hours ago, dieselhead said:

I use this a lot for reference when speccing captains. The first 10 points are usually pretty straightforward, the remaining 9 are the ones which require more thought.

That said, it is not be all and end all, if you want to forgo a 3 Star skill for a two star skill because it matches your play style more, go for it, you know your own play style.

The recommendations also occasionally recommend more than one build, so while, for example at the 4 point level it may show 3 stars for concealment, manual AA and fire prevention, if you are not running an AA build, you may chose to go with a 2 Star skill that is more suited to the build you want.