You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
waichung1823

Question About RN DD

24 comments in this topic

Super Tester
7,566 posts
8,001 battles
22 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

Is it true that RN premium DDs (Acasta, Icarus, Jervis, Lightning) will lost their Premium status and convert into tech tree line? 

Yes. They aren't really premiums. Marked as premium so that you can transfer captains without retraining for the time being.

Edited by icy_phoenix

250 posts
5,827 battles

You will retain them in their fully unlocked state, but future captain Transfers will mean retraining. All modules will remain unlocked, but you will obviously need to earn XP for next ship in the line. Though any and all xp you have on ship now will be saved. So start grinding now.

116 posts
2,645 battles
5 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

You will retain them in their fully unlocked state, but future captain Transfers will mean retraining. All modules will remain unlocked, but you will obviously need to earn XP for next ship in the line. Though any and all xp you have on ship now will be saved. So start grinding now.

Any references? Or is it from past experiences?

[1NATN]
287 posts
5,258 battles

French BB early release worked exactly the way he describes. Seems like this is how they do new ship lines now.

Edited by Webba84

1,016 posts
7,490 battles
13 hours ago, waichung1823 said:

Is it true

It has been explained to me that advanced tech tree ships are always introduced by WG this way.

The important thing to note is that they are advanced tech tree ships, not premiums. WG just uses the premium mechanism to get them into the game when they are not on the tech tree yet.

349 posts
7,092 battles
25 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

The important thing to note is that they are advanced tech tree ships, not premiums. WG just uses the premium mechanism to get them into the game when they are not on the tech tree yet.

And make a few extra $$$ in the process!

1,016 posts
7,490 battles
1 minute ago, dieselhead said:

And make a few extra $$$ in the process!

That must be a misunderstanding, those RN DD's are not for sale. They are given away via containers/missions.

349 posts
7,092 battles
2 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

That must be a misunderstanding, those RN DD's are not for sale. They are given away via containers/missions.

My mistake, only Cossack and Gallant are for sale. Pity I haven't gotten any of them in containers as yet. Though that isn't unusual for me lol.

1,016 posts
7,490 battles
7 minutes ago, dieselhead said:

Cossack and Gallant are for sale

Cossack is recommended, good and fun. I'm still getting used to short-term smoke.

Gallant is better than Icarus, but I struggle to call her good or recommend her. I trained her captain to 14 points in the last Dynamo and sneaky as she is, she can play OK.

Super Tester
7,566 posts
8,001 battles
1 hour ago, dieselhead said:

My mistake, only Cossack and Gallant are for sale. Pity I haven't gotten any of them in containers as yet. Though that isn't unusual for me lol.

No, you were right. Many people bought loads of containers to get those DD missions. It was indeed about making money in the process.

216 posts
1,048 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

It has been explained to me that advanced tech tree ships are always introduced by WG this way.

Btw, Gallant is actual premium? Because there are two RN DD in tier 6 which is Icarus. What about cossack? I plan to spend some bucks on it. 

605 posts
7,614 battles
23 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

Btw, Gallant is actual premium? Because there are two RN DD in tier 6 which is Icarus. What about cossack? I plan to spend some bucks on it. 

Gallant is premium 

349 posts
7,092 battles
42 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

No, you were right. Many people bought loads of containers to get those DD missions. It was indeed about making money in the process.

So you cant get the ships in the containers you earn? Only the bought ones?

[PEEDZ]
21 posts
5,743 battles

I bought 5 UK containers.. got nothing from them.

I now have tier 5-7 uk DD's, all from the mission rewards.

So yes, you can get them from earned containers

74 posts
3,241 battles

I "bought"  a container with sovereigns earned in-game that had a mission in it, and once I'd completed the mission I was given an Acasta, which is not a brilliant ship but hey, it was free.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,840 posts
4,138 battles
2 hours ago, dieselhead said:

So you cant get the ships in the containers you earn? Only the bought ones?

The ships will drop in either container.  There is a higher chance of a drop in a premium container

1,016 posts
7,490 battles
15 hours ago, waichung1823 said:

Yes, Gallant is a premium. Gallant is better than Icarus, with conventional “long smoke”, longer range torpedos and Speed Boost. Gallant is superior to Icarus, I cannot recommend her as a “good ship.”

Cossack is a fun ship to play. Good concealment, good guns and good manoeuvrability. 10km torps, but only a single 5x launcher, which in typical RN fashion you can single-fire. I'm still getting used to the short smoke and slow-ish/no speed boost.

I unlocked Jervis last night. She has only 6 guns instead of Cossack’s 8, two 5x torpedo launchers. But those torps have only 7km range, which is a bit of a joke. Everybody seems to say Jervis is good, when Acasta and Icarus aren’t. If Jervis really is good, Cossack is better.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,777 battles
5 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Yes, Gallant is a premium. Gallant is better than Icarus, with conventional “long smoke”, longer range torpedos and Speed Boost. Gallant is superior to Icarus, I cannot recommend her as a “good ship.”

Cossack is a fun ship to play. Good concealment, good guns and good manoeuvrability. 10km torps, but only a single 5x launcher, which in typical RN fashion you can single-fire. I'm still getting used to the short smoke and slow-ish/no speed boost.

I unlocked Jervis last night. She has only 6 guns instead of Cossack’s 8, two 5x torpedo launchers. But those torps have only 7km range, which is a bit of a joke. Everybody seems to say Jervis is good, when Acasta and Icarus aren’t. If Jervis really is good, Cossack is better.

Gallant's torps are better because of the shorter reload (although torps per minute is the same) and the 1km longer range.  However in every other respect Icarus is as good or better than Gallant.  It has much longer gun range, and much better maneuverability due to the amazing acceleration and speed retention in the turns of the tech tree RN DD's (and being able to take rudder shift upgrade instead of engine upgrade).  The hydro is superb, a massive benefit the ship.  The smokes are much better on the Icarus, they are always there whenever you need them.

Honestly the Gallant is so far behind the Icarus (noting that the Icarus isn't a particularly great ship), that it's laughable for them to not buff the Gallant to at least be a little closer.  If they gave Gallant the RN DD acceleration then it would be comparable as a torp focused version of the Icarus.

As for the Jervis vs Cossack - one is a T7 and the other is a T8, so you'd hope Cossack was better.  I wouldn't pay more than the $1 minimum spend for the Cossack myself though, since it's worse than the Lightning by some margin.  Cossack has better mathematical DPM than Lightning, and better speed with engine boost.  However Lightning gets double the torp launchers, and MUCH better guns.  It uses a longer barreled 120mm gun with heavier shells, that has double the AP pen of the standard RN 120's, better fire chance, and much better velocity retention (7.7s to 10km vs 9.8s) meaning you can reliably hit targets at longer range.  The turrets also have double the rotation speed, very good firing angles (Cossack's are terrible) and all three rotate 360°.  Given both of these ships are gunboats, the ability to get and keep your guns on target while hitting your target consistently is hugely in Lightning's favour, making the Cossack a bit of a redundant choice unless you want a T8 RN DD captain trainer or credit maker.

Cossack should have been a T7, it really does not fit with those guns and only one torp launcher at T8.

82 posts
2,805 battles

everything that @Moggytwo  said.  I've tried the Cossack and the Lightning mainly in Co-op and it took me a bit of get used too it, short smoke and the single fire torps. But when you get the hang of it the single torps are great.

Tried the lightning out in random, screwed a few games up, but last night a Yamato at full health ate 8 single fired torps ... :etc_swear:... nice view watching a freight train of torps heading for dead centre!!  now to be able to do that consistently would make the lightning a great ship. The Cossack might take me a bit longer to find its sweet spot.

1,016 posts
7,490 battles
16 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Honestly the Gallant is so far behind the Icarus

Well, first of all thank you very much for the comprehensive reply.

Maybe I got used to Gallant and have learnt to have some success with this ship.

About Cossack/Jervis/Lightning, sounds like Lightning is something to look forward to.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,777 battles
4 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Maybe I got used to Gallant and have learnt to have some success with this ship.

I personally don't like the Gallant much because I find it's armament very limiting (I much prefer the Fushun/Anshan at that tier), but that's partially a play style thing.  I have a couple of clan mates that love the ship, and I can certainly see why people would given the single fire torps and superb handling.  Although objectively the Icarus is overall a much better ship, if you play Gallant in a really torp focused manner then the Icarus may feel very limiting in comparison. 

My own play style is centered around positioning to pressure enemy DD's and advance my team, while getting gun damage at any time I am able.  I use the torps when the opportunity presents itself, but I won't put myself way out of position to set up for a torp shot.