Farlesquew

Brit DD upgrades

5 comments in this topic

47 posts
5,539 battles

I've so far got the Acasta and Icarus (tiers V and VI) and equipped the rudder upgrade on both, but every one I face appears to have chosen the gun rotation upgrade instead.

I figured that being able to turn faster was going to be useful indodging incoming shells, but I do note the moments where I'm turning faster than my guns can manage, which sometimes makes knife fights difficult. (That, plus the poor concealment which means we're constantly outspotted, and can only stealth torp against on-coming ships).

DDs are definitely my weakest ship type, but I'm frustrated with my performance and wondering if this upgrade choice is partially to blame.

Guys: DEFINITELY a wrong upgrade choice, or do I simply need to keep working on my overall DD skills (I feel I'm improving, but then I had a ahocker run of losses yesterday, argh)?

145 posts
1,297 battles

Gun rotation module upgrade affects and nerfs your gun Reload time by a little, and doesnt give u much advantage at all. Take expert marksman instead if you really hate gun rotations.

Edited by Labeat

1,011 posts
7,471 battles
On 9/30/2018 at 3:28 PM, Farlesquew said:

but every one I face appears to have chosen the gun rotation upgrade instead.

When I started playing the game I had Battery Modification 1 on almost all ships that were slow-ish to rotate guns. For example on IJN DD's.

Nor sure I still have it on any ship now.

The better way to achieve faster gun rotation is captain skills Expert Marksman. That's only a 2 skill point... but on a DD you have to weigh up Expert Marksman against Adrenalin Rush and Last Stand... until you have a 12 or 14 point captain. Most gunboats or hybrids will benefit from all three skills.

You can always look into the wiki for an initial recommendation. If you follow the recommendations there, you will always have a playable ship. If there are certain aspects you don't like, just change:

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Acasta

I should also say that Acasta should be very careful to get into a knife fight. She has a small health pool and there are many T5 and pretty much any T6/T7 that will have much better guns.

And then it should be said that Acasta is a bit of a dog of a ship and many people will not use her after they moved up the line. She may be OK for the RN missions now, but in Random there are better ships. My favourites would be Nicholas and T-22.

47 posts
5,539 battles
On 10/2/2018 at 8:34 AM, icy_phoenix said:

The higher tier ones won't need turret traverse. IMO, your build was correct.

Thanks Icy. I was starting to doubt myself given the evidence that so many others had chosen differently. Cheers