You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
waichung1823

Aggressive or overextend?

9 comments in this topic

187 posts
1,017 battles

Well, sometimes if enemy DDs are dead, i will play BBs in aggressive way and usually i travel ahead of the friendly flank. And doing that i eat bunch of damage but in return of sinking or deal serious damage to enemy BBs/CAs or assist in caping. 

However, if my team is strong, i can survive throughout the battle ; if my team is weak, i will be the lonely BB and get focus fire to dead (I do tactical retreat, but damage over time still got me). 

I have to play close range battle, because  Colorado and New Mexico has terrible speed, hard to reposition myself. if i don't travel ahead of the flank, is either i left out of the battle or fail to support my team. 

I m not sure this BB playstyle is the right way, i m still an inexperienced player. 

Ps : I don't do that in Tier 9 MM, because of that Musashi's super hentai shells. 

Edited by waichung1823

683 posts
7,334 battles

Hello there, 

I'd say pushing up in a BB helping your team is a much welcomed tactic for your teammates. The thing is to be fruitful from such acts (though still not always), we really need to consider

1. Any surrounding cover we can seek refuge with if things turn ugly.

2. Any support from friendlies and have a good guess what's their next move.

3. Is the enemy fire power overwhelming?

4. Consider turning away earlier when you noticed you might receive focused fire (the captain skill which shows how many people aiming at you is very helpful in this)

Myself, I'm BB main, but I'm a person who can't stand the slow speed of standard BBs.. so I mainly focused on KM BBs, then kinda skipped here n there in USN BBs. Anyone else can give advice on standard BB tactics?

Beta Tester
486 posts
7,921 battles

There's a fine line between aggressive and over extended. What usually happens is when you are pushing in your BB with support, the first sign of enemy ships your team turns tail and runs. Suddenly you go from aggressive to overextended. On this server it doesnt reward aggressive play, because as you mentioned you are focus fired and die.

Beta Tester
701 posts
8,402 battles

I love German BBs. I love the secondary pew pew.

I might have something wrong with me but the sound of gun and cannon fire calms and soothes me. (I used to happily fall asleep on the floor beside my brother playing Counter-Strike).

I am in heaven when I push in a German BB, bow on to enemy BBs and my team follows.

That's a specific situation though.

And what might be good play utilising a ship's strength in one certain kind of ship is just plain yolo in another.

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles
23 minutes ago, sunlo2013 said:

As a BB, if you die before you can used all of your heals then you are kind of overextended. 

Sometimes you need to sacrifiece to spearhead an attack , we need more information to judge if it is the right move or not.

If you win the war , you are agressive , if you lose the war you over extend. If you are dead and you lose the flank but buy enough time for the other flank to do their job , good then you win the war.

Sometimes i even push when out numbered and the enemy keep kiting away , forcing them to waste more time to kill me and then move up. Bam , the other flank win the game.

We do need to seperate being agressive vs charging headlong like an idiot. Agressive means taking up advantaguos contesting position that is close to the enemy , not bee lining straight to the nearest red dot.

The amazing thing on this server is that you can use the enemy kiting to backfire on them. Since the meta revolves around being flexible and breaking of front line into multiple cross fire front extending over multiple axis it is possible to bait a huge portion of enemy into firing the wrong thing at the wrong time at the wrong place. This means that by using island cleverly  to poke , you could make the enemy over extend by over extending yourself , buying time and wasting their focus on the wrong thing. The only other thing your team need to be smart about is defeat in details by crippling scattered enemies one by one.

Ofc this doesnt always work , so make sure you check for any infamous names on the list before trying this stuff.

Edited by legionary2099

1,011 posts
7,422 battles
On 9/30/2018 at 1:09 AM, waichung1823 said:

I m not sure this BB playstyle is the right way, i m still an inexperienced player. 

I think people told you before that you cannot learn the game in the forum. Some answers may just confuse or mislead you.

In a BB, especially a slow BB, you have to learn to read the map and anticipate the movements of your and the enemy team.

Basically, in a lower tier USN BB  you cannot run away from anything. Even a Hood cannot run away from cruisers.

If you see 3 or 4 enemy BB's, don't attack alone, that just gets you killed.

If you have an equal number of BB's, or an equal force of different ships, when you go forward, keep an eye on the map. If everybody else gets brown pants syndrom and turns back, you have to turn back or you will get focused and killed.

187 posts
1,017 battles
30 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

I think people told you before that you cannot learn the game in the forum. Some answers may just confuse or mislead you.

In a BB, especially a slow BB, you have to learn to read the map and anticipate the movements of your and the enemy team.

Basically, in a lower tier USN BB  you cannot run away from anything. Even a Hood cannot run away from cruisers.

If you see 3 or 4 enemy BB's, don't attack alone, that just gets you killed.

If you have an equal number of BB's, or an equal force of different ships, when you go forward, keep an eye on the map. If everybody else gets brown pants syndrom and turns back, you have to turn back or you will get focused and killed.

I don't think someone has told me that.

And yeah Slow BBs require preplanning 

I just hate some map spawn in weird flank, like 1 cruiser and 1 BB at each side (i dont know what's the map name). I always struggle to plan, because i have to predict where the flank goes. 

Right now i try to play 8-10 KM away from cruisers and destroyer ahead me, and support as much as possible. 

Edited by waichung1823