You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shrino

bomber in opening movie

4 comments in this topic

[IDOLM]
22 posts
5,392 battles

I am pretty amazed by the quality of Wows opening.

When I watched it again and again in this afternoon, I found something interesting.

In that IJN airstrike. WG is showing us a D3A2 rather than D4Y series in dive bombing. D3A2 cannot take it dear up during diving may consider as a defect.

Is there any sepcial concern in this case?

1,340 posts
8,848 battles

The D3A was historically used as a dive bomber despite the fixed undercarriage. It was used at Pearl in fact.

Though I don't know how steep an angle they were able to dive at realistically. But yes its more advanced successors would have retractable landing gears.

1,011 posts
7,459 battles
On 9/29/2018 at 9:28 PM, Shrino said:

D3A2 cannot take it dear up during diving

I actually watched this into a fair few times myself.

You wonder if they had a look at the Ju 87 Stuka when they designed the D3A.

I guess that generation dive bomber was so slow in horizontal flight, a retractable landing gear wouldn’t make a big enough difference. Fixed landing gears are cheaper and sturdier. During the dive, they help the dive breaks slow the plane down, I guess.

I guess the logic was to have the big bomb under the fuselage, rather than under the wings. The bomb then swung out on a frame in both the Ju 87 and D3A and the WoWS video captures that very well.

67 posts
1,372 battles

Both Ju 87 and D3A rely on Dive Brake to slow down. and same do those with retractable gears like Ju 88, Skua, SBD and SB2C.

Edited by tsuenwan
typo