You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Monaghan vs Sims as a Trainer

37 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles

I can't believe I'm even considering this. If I was going to do this I should have bought while doubloon cash back was open. I'm an idiot.

But, if I want to eat rice and potatoes for two weeks and buy another ship... which is better for fun and training?

I've compared both and I'm not sure. They would both do the job. I'd probably think Monaghan but it doesn't get American smoke!?!?!?!?

[LNA]
1,658 posts
10,425 battles
16 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

I can't believe I'm even considering this. If I was going to do this I should have bought while doubloon cash back was open. I'm an idiot.

But, if I want to eat rice and potatoes for two weeks and buy another ship... which is better for fun and training?

I've compared both and I'm not sure. They would both do the job. I'd probably think Monaghan but it doesn't get American smoke!?!?!?!?

Sims all the way. It is a very trollish ship with high end AA for anti bird riots plus a World class dancer auto guide system.

Sims perform admirably in team support role although it kinda sucks when facing defensive oriented dd on enemy team.

Sims and lenin are two of the hardest ship to get manual drop check mate from a skilled CV. And being in tier 7 you meeting fishing division is common.

Beta Tester
902 posts
4,229 battles

Other than the slow torps, the Sims is a wonder. Fast speed for caps, American smoke and guns. For the torps, just narrow spread and hope anyways

Rely on your ROF and manoeuvrability. You can even RDF to charge smoke when enemy DD smokes up. Other than that, if you will be taking significant damage for an engagement, then hold off and consider if staying alive to control cap is a better option

Edited by FishyPower

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
21 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Sims

Fair warning though, very hard to play.

What do you mean? From LWM review and Flamu vid, it seems like a fairly normal American DD?

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles
5 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

What do you mean? From LWM review and Flamu vid, it seems like a fairly normal American DD?

I've played 300+ in Sims, she is my most favorite ship. And I can say with confidence that Sims has her own learning curve. And judging by SEA server stats, doesn't look that easy either.

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
15 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

I've played 300+ in Sims, she is my most favorite ship. And I can say with confidence that Sims has her own learning curve. And judging by SEA server stats, doesn't look that easy either.

OK. I usually look for opportunities to smoke allies and spot as a DD player. I don't know if that makes me more suited to Sims style?

Maybe people wrongly try to play her like a torp bote? I don't know. I may give her a whirl.

So, most people seem to be saying Sims over Monaghan - with this learning curve, is that still true? ie Sims over Monaghan?

326 posts
10,506 battles

Play Sims like u play Benson or Flint. Her AA module really good.

Use her as training ships and farm XP & credit  in Operation. Its gives u outstanding reward.

Edited by ArchKongou

145 posts
1,261 battles

before buying sims just play Mahan/ Farragut with Hull C and then decide if u can play or not. 

Meanwhile monaghan, Hull B warning : it only has 2 front guns and doesnt have any rear guns. but you get 9.2km torps by Sacrificing 2 of your rear guns.

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles
Just now, Labeat said:

before buying sims just play Mahan/ Farragut with Hull C and then decide if u can play or not. 

Meanwhile monaghan, Hull B warning : it only has 2 front guns and doesnt have any rear guns. but you get 9.2km torps by Sacrificing 2 of your rear guns.

He already bought Sims. Also, she is comparable to Benson C hull. The in-game models are identical.

145 posts
1,261 battles
1 minute ago, icy_phoenix said:

He already bought Sims. Also, she is comparable to Benson C hull. The in-game models are identical.

Well I had Monaghan from american box, and I sold it. Because it just didnt had anything special. You can turn it into full torpedo boat by Hull B, but you only have 1x2 127mm guns. LOL hell no, Fubuki is better all the way in this case.

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

You can never go wrong with a sims. Just keep in mind, she isn't a damage dealer, she is a cap bully.

K.

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles

And for anyone who answered "SIMS", the correct answer wassssss….

SIMS!

(This was actually my 3rd battle in her. I thought I would instantly ace her, but I guess even with familiarity with play style and line, each ship is still its own beast).

(A dude in a Monaghan got 91 planes kills in this same battle!)

World of Warships Screenshot 2018.09.30 - 04.29.13.20.png

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, Max_Battle said:

That's just because (1) you weren't at the right place, (2) you don't have proper captain on sims. (3) I hope you didn't forget to use DFAA instead of Speed Boost.

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
17 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

That's just because (1) you weren't at the right place, (2) you don't have proper captain on sims. (3) I hope you didn't forget to use DFAA instead of Speed Boost.

Yeah. If I put an AFT/BFT captain on her she would be much better for AA, but training up my Fletch capt as intended so yep.

Wasn't unhappy that guy got so many, just the most I've ever seen in that Op.

He specifically went off and isolated himself so he got focused. Thought he was doomed... but then saw how many plane kills....

Oh and yeah, I have DFAA on :p

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles
38 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Yeah. If I put an AFT/BFT captain on her she would be much better for AA, but training up my Fletch capt as intended so yep.

I have 2x 19 pt for Fletcher. One with anti-CV, one with anti-DD build.

326 posts
10,506 battles

SIMS!

(This was actually my 3rd battle in her. I thought I would instantly ace her, but I guess even with familiarity with play style and line, each ship is still its own beast).

World of Warships Screenshot 2018.09.30 - 04.29.13.20.png

If u go for AA build DD's, u can get even higher plane kills in the Dunkirk Operation.

So far, my highest record for plane take down with Farragut (C hull, this is tier 6 USN DD, but still gives a very good job) was 61 kills, while with Sims I manage to get 104  kills.

Both of them were using AA build's captain including Manual AA  + AA module ships (+ AA def consumable)

186 posts
1,709 battles

SIMS!

Well done Max. Great to see its coming together for you. My own Sims skipper has gone from 10 points to 17 points and well on his way to 18 in "Operation Dynamo".

Sorry mate, I don't know whether you are into Random Battles with BB's, but don't forget your Texas can give you some decent returns training BB/CA Captains. Shame that at this stage there are no Op's you can take her into.

Blimey, what have we done? We might have created a new "Unicum" player on the SEA server. lol. :Smile_great:

Cheer's

Alex

1,007 posts
7,422 battles
17 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

SIMS

I'm quite impressed by your 15 "Schnellboot" kills in Sims.

Russian guns are much more suited to knock those "boote" out in larger numbers. I find the US high arc is quite difficult to aim at anything more than 7-8km away.

If you want higher number of plane kills, you have to go towards the planes and intercept them. And you cannot have too many other players that know the trick because there are only so many planes to go around while your Defensive AA is on.

The danger in this is that when you are on the path of new squadrons, on the way to the convoy, they will alway spot and attack you. You can get separated and killed.

I have not achieved anywhere near 100, and the people who have, hold their cards to their chest, it appears. 

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Russian guns are much more suited to knock those "boote" out in larger numbers. I find the US high arc is quite difficult to aim at anything more than 7-8km away.

Sims gets < 3s reload, and all it takes is one salvo for 1 boat (and lucky enough that no one else kill it first).

Beta Tester
682 posts
8,402 battles
18 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

I have 2x 19 pt for Fletcher. One with anti-CV, one with anti-DD build.

Yeah I'm going for an RDF/CE Captain first.

14 hours ago, ArchKongou said:

If u go for AA build DD's, u can get even higher plane kills in the Dunkirk Operation.

So far, my highest record for plane take down with Farragut (C hull, this is tier 6 USN DD, but still gives a very good job) was 61 kills, while with Sims I manage to get 104  kills.

Both of them were using AA build's captain including Manual AA  + AA module ships (+ AA def consumable)

Nice.

Yeah I put one of my higher CA captains on Sims just to see what the AA would be - think it was like 51 or something?

14 hours ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Well done Max. Great to see its coming together for you. My own Sims skipper has gone from 10 points to 17 points and well on his way to 18 in "Operation Dynamo".

Sorry mate, I don't know whether you are into Random Battles with BB's, but don't forget your Texas can give you some decent returns training BB/CA Captains. Shame that at this stage there are no Op's you can take her into.

Blimey, what have we done? We might have created a new "Unicum" player on the SEA server. lol. :Smile_great:

Cheer's

Alex

Yeah, I play mostly Randoms with all classes except for CV. I will go coop from time to time if feeling lazy or I just want to watch the sea roll by and hear the roar of the cannons with less stress (the ship models are still cool even when facing bots :p).

And ha ha no... I struggle to maintain a 50% win ratio!

3 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

I'm quite impressed by your 15 "Schnellboot" kills in Sims.

If you want higher number of plane kills, you have to go towards the planes and intercept them. And you cannot have too many other players that know the trick because there are only so many planes to go around while your Defensive AA is on.

The danger in this is that when you are on the path of new squadrons, on the way to the convoy, they will alway spot and attack you. You can get separated and killed.

I have not achieved anywhere near 100, and the people who have, hold their cards to their chest, it appears. 

Yeah, well in that game I specifically positioned myself to be running parallel with the Schnellers as they appeared.

I mean I know the Op, but I also got lucky. Most of those kills came from being maybe 6km or less from them and running beside them so I set myself up for easy gunnery.

I have topped the teams a few times but based on EITHER plane or Schnell kills... not sure how to excel at both?

Meh, rewards have been fine with a reasonable performance so far.

1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

Sims gets < 3s reload, and all it takes is one salvo for 1 boat (and lucky enough that no one else kill it first).

Yeah I don't know if I just have more Op familiarity now or if Sims has particularly good gunnery?

Regardless, in that battle above I did do a few triple salvo kills - as in killed three in a row with one salvo each and thus beat other players to the kills.