You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Indianapolis

16 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
755 posts
8,558 battles

Can't afford any premium time right now so I was just cycling through my premiums and playing them - at least they don't cost you as much to play.

Kamikaze? Check.

Tirpitz? Check.

Scharnhorst? Check.

Indianapolis... Indianapolis... INDIANAPOLIS!?

Couple of fails. Checked my stats and server stats.

Horrible.

I bought it on purpose, even though it WAS on a whim...

Regret it. It doesn't feel like it can do enough on its own. I can't bring much influence on the battle like I can in other ships.

I was warned it is a support ship so I only have myself to blame.

The only time its been really memorable is when I support another ship or ships and use my radar and hydro in an almost yolo fashion...

Love the guns but they are slow.

71 posts
5,241 battles

I only do well in this boat when MM gives me a competent team;then I look for a brawling BB mate and stick close behind swatting pesky DDs and planes,the radar on rate accasions can be handy but would rather smoke;not an often used ship I think;guns are good if you can keep them above water

Beta Tester
755 posts
8,558 battles
19 minutes ago, chicony56 said:

I only do well in this boat when MM gives me a competent team;then I look for a brawling BB mate and stick close behind swatting pesky DDs and planes,the radar on rate accasions can be handy but would rather smoke;not an often used ship I think;guns are good if you can keep them above water

Yeah. I try to do the same. It can work like that.

Beta Tester
755 posts
8,558 battles
Just now, icy_phoenix said:

It's a boring ship. Reloads too slow.

Yeah. I really REALLY want/wanted to like her, but there's no justification for liking her.

Needs uhm, maybe 10 sec reloads or something at least.

1,011 posts
7,464 battles
2 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Needs uhm, maybe 10 sec reloads or something at least.

Fair enough, 14 sec reload is painfully slow. AR is definitely a recommended skill for at least a 12 pointer.

The guns are pretty good, typical US cruiser guns. Bow on, she can bounce cruiser shells. And there is radar.

There were times when Indi was one of the few radar ships, and she still is, if top tier.

I quite like Indi, but I have often seen people getting frustrated with her, so you are not alone.

156 posts
3,368 battles

I don't like this ship. I feel too vulnerable, too large, turrets too slow, reload too long and you explode every time a BB looks at you. 

Was pathetically bad when first using it (thankfully it was a gift and I didn't pay for it), but during the recent Indy event, I took it out again hoping for better results and just outright sucked. It's now in mothballs.

1,011 posts
7,464 battles
7 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Yeah. I try to do the same. It can work like that.

I think what creates most frustration for people is the “squishiness”. But there are other squishy cruisers that usually have strong sides in other areas. Got to find the strong sides and use them, and don’t show broadside while you use them.

The long reload may be a balancing thing to compensate for radar and the relatively long main gun range.

Indi’s radar has good range with almost 10km. However, you cannot just flip on radar when a DD or RN cruiser goes into smoke, because radar is active for 25 sec only. At least you will have wait for reload, possibly switch to the correct ammo type - then switch on radar. Otherwise, Indi may be able to fire one salvo only. Compare that with Belfast’s 7 sec reload, she can fire 3 to 4 salvos.

Find the newer video iChase made about Indi, it is quite helpful.

Super Tester
7,543 posts
7,986 battles

Squishy cruisers aren't problem for me, I know how to stay alive in tissue paper. The guns are just plain bad. Often too weak or too strong, not perfect for anything.

Beta Tester
755 posts
8,558 battles

Seems like most people feel the same way as I do.

I just looked back over my post musing on what to buy when I bought the Indi.

Must have been from last Christmas? Must have been a special on? Or was it just all ships were available?

At the time I was thinking I might like an Atago or Atlanta...

I chose, poorly...

(*sigh* Imagines an Atago or Atlanta in port instead of an Indianapolis)

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,834 posts
4,134 battles

I got my Indi from a crate so Im not that upset, but why would you even play it now with the New Orleans as its tier equivalent.  The Helena is even better and so far as premiums go the Atlanta eats it alive.

The NO has better reload time, better dispersion, better AA and only slightly worse handling...………...and its free

Beta Tester
755 posts
8,558 battles
6 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

I got my Indi from a crate so Im not that upset, but why would you even play it now with the New Orleans as its tier equivalent.  The Helena is even better and so far as premiums go the Atlanta eats it alive.

The NO has better reload time, better dispersion, better AA and only slightly worse handling...………...and its free

Chris-o-Dowd.gif

318 posts
6,866 battles

Only thing i use Indianapolis for is Ultimate Frontier. She does "well enough" damage wise, and is a decent Commander Trainer. But she wouldn't be my first choice to take out in Randoms. 

188 posts
1,723 battles
15 hours ago, Kamanah said:

Only thing i use Indianapolis for is Ultimate Frontier. She does "well enough" damage wise, and is a decent Commander Trainer. But she wouldn't be my first choice to take out in Randoms. 

I find her difficult in UF. I think mainly because my usual ships for this op are Scharnhorst/Gniesanau and Duke of York/KGV.

But in Hermes and Narai, the "Indie" does ok, for me at least.:Smile_great: