Jump to content
Pulveron

matchmaker

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

5
[12345]
Member
37 posts
8,501 battles

Well, here I am again, and yes, this time it's a whinge.:Smile_izmena:  Having taken the sagacious advice of the moderators :cap_haloween:and a few peeved off players here I decided to play as they so willingly told me to.  Incredibly it seems that despite all the hip and clamour of the WoW presentations, the matchmaker is one heck of a letdown.  I have been having conversations with WoW  and in spite of their terrific explanations about how the matchmaker works, it really appears to be  faulty.  :cap_rambo:Before the moderators get themselves in a twist and decide to stop me from being a part of this forum, which may be their won't when someone has a whinge, these are my current stats on their advice as to how to play the game, ie: see my other tags;  date 20th - 10 games 1 win; date 21st - 17 games 17 losses; today - 16 games 2 wins.  Now that's balanced teams!  Putting my tier VIs amongst tier VIIIs and IXs is a little over the top.  :Smile_hiding:Placing my slow tier IVs/Vs at the far end of a map on their own so that by the time I get to a battle it's over, isn't kosher (I think I was able to get one shot in range in one game lol).  It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen so often.  Yes, I'm aware of inexperienced players, ship types, blah blah, but this is not about the players, but matchmaking, surely the matchmaker can be programmed to do better?  :cap_yes:

I sent a vid clip in to WoW (a little while ago) of myself being torpedoed with the appearance of the torps around 10 meters from my ship (10 torps), and I think in this game the highest tier was a VI, I could be wrong.  There was no other ship about and one never appeared for the rest of the game in the vicinity of the torps, which lasted around 5 minutes (i thought it was invisibility, but it didn't appear so), no ship appeared anywhere on the map near where I was sunk.  A destroyer made its way around where I was sunk and there was no other ship about, so it floated around there and wasn't attacked.  It appeared it couldn't see any ship either, so the question is, was there a ship there at all?  Has anyone else had this experience?  :Smile_popcorn:This is the third time its happened to me. :etc_swear:Whinge over!  :cap_old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles
2 hours ago, brokentooth said:

date 20th - 10 games 1 win; date 21st - 17 games 17 losses; today - 16 games 2 wins. 

Expecting weekend match making to be in your favor is folly.

 

2 hours ago, brokentooth said:

surely the matchmaker can be programmed to do better? 

Match maker can only create a match out of what ships players have queued in.

 

2 hours ago, brokentooth said:

A destroyer made its way around where I was sunk and there was no other ship about, so it floated around there and wasn't attacked.  It appeared it couldn't see any ship either, so the question is, was there a ship there at all?  Has anyone else had this experience?

You got attacked by an IJN DD it's not going to engage in a gun fight with other DD's unless it has to but that's just a guess. I'd suggest you start playing in DD's and get a feel for hunting big fat battleships. That should give you a better idea about how to avoid sneak attacks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
605 posts
7,610 battles

Matchmaking only considers few thing to get the match going..

Class Type: DD,CA/CL,BB,CV

Class limitation

Tier:

As far as i know :3

If you think you getting bad team consistently,take a break from the game 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5
[12345]
Member
37 posts
8,501 battles

Hello icy_phoenix,  thanks for your reply.  I appreciate the graph of your stats.  You're a better player than I could ever be, and again thank you for taking the time to produce the graph.  The point is, I'm not comparing stats or just talking about them, or using them to show the inconsistency in win/loss matching, I'm talking about the matchmaker and its accuracy/ability to match and the matchmakers inconsistencies, which produce uneven teams.  I am aware of the difficulties, as I said, I've had it out with WoW, but when you look at the teams and compare them in a battle there can be huge discrepancies all round - some I have discussed with WoW already.  My angst is that despite their answers, it doesn't take away from  the fact that the teams can be, in my opinion, badly matched.  The game organisers are the ones who develop and programme this feature of the game - probably the most important one - I have no doubt (in my mind) that it might be able to be tweaked a little better.  But, I'm not the expert, just an ordinary player who loves the game.

Epicurus, love your answers - especially the last, as you say it's guesswork.  That's an issue I have here with some people, they seem to know more than the developers of WoW.  You miss the point entirely.  As for my apparent folly, if you keep personalizing issues, then I think you should stick to swabbing the decks.  I don't expect this game to be in my favour, all I expect is a better variance in win/loss games.  I don't think this is asking too much.  You obviously think it is, which is no skin off my nose since we all have a right to our own opinions.  Good for you.  I think a 60/40 loss ratio is pretty good, not a 100% loss at a consistent rate whether played on a weekend or otherwise (ie, games played at a single time (17) and not one win.  When this is consistent, 98% losses whether on a weekend or not, something is wrong).  WoW tells me that I have a 98% victory ratio, that's garbage!  You see it depends on how you look at the figures and what figures you use.  I am an average to not so average player, which doesn't help the teams much, but I do my best.  

I have just received your reply Gummilicious, with all due respect to your greater ability at the game, your should be directing Epicurus swabbing the decks.  Your reply doesn't warrant a response, it's childish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles
3 hours ago, brokentooth said:

Hello icy_phoenix,  thanks for your reply.  I appreciate the graph of your stats.  You're a better player than I could ever be, and again thank you for taking the time to produce the graph.  The point is, I'm not comparing stats or just talking about them, or using them to show the inconsistency in win/loss matching, I'm talking about the matchmaker and its accuracy/ability to match and the matchmakers inconsistencies, which produce uneven teams.  I am aware of the difficulties, as I said, I've had it out with WoW, but when you look at the teams and compare them in a battle there can be huge discrepancies all round - some I have discussed with WoW already.  My angst is that despite their answers, it doesn't take away from  the fact that the teams can be, in my opinion, badly matched.  The game organisers are the ones who develop and programme this feature of the game - probably the most important one - I have no doubt (in my mind) that it might be able to be tweaked a little better.  But, I'm not the expert, just an ordinary player who loves the game.

Yes, there are a lot of problems with MM right now that needs to be tweaked. Wait before you get 2 T7 DDs against 2 T8 in enemy team without any reason at all when the T8s could be distributed. And it is well known that MM is most likely to have grouped up better players in one side than others. Let me give you an example of MM failure:

mmkappa.thumb.jpg.1613bc8ebd51d98d747e3cf0456cd335.jpg

As you can see, one side is all from purple clans, and the other side isn't. The enemy team were lost before the game even started and that's no fun. Reason why I showed the graphs in earlier post was not to compare with you, its because your original post appeared to be blaming others who have advised you on how to play. We provide hints based on our own skill levels and experience we have. Sometimes they will work, sometimes they backfire. But those aren't the reasons for losing a battle, otherwise we would be losing as well, which we aren't.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5
[12345]
Member
37 posts
8,501 battles

Hello icy_phoenix,  I think I need to apologise to you, I was blaming the advice I received.  My apologies.  Your explanation and picture has confirmed my suspicions and I thank you for the honesty.  I only hope that the MM can be tweaked (realizing it's an ongoing process) so a more efficient MM can occur soon.  There have been so many abnormalities occur in the games I've played I wondered if WoW was aware of them. 

One other thing I would like you to comment on for me, what is your opinion on the following: I am concerned that the game is shifting into a more fantasy mode, invisible ships at close distances (in reality it couldn't happen), some amazing ships that belong in mythology, and looking at the promos, the possibility of submarines that appear to be out of the story 10 thousand leagues under the sea, (loved the space battles except for the fact it appeared all they did was to change the background to one of space, alter the ship designs to look funky, and really it was no different than the usual battles on earth), and so on.  Great if the subs were like the originals. The closeness to real situations of amazing ships in battle is one of the reasons that drew me to the game in the first place.  To me the mixing, to a degree is fine (like using ships from space battles), but if I wanted fantasy I would go play something like Age of Empires.  Will the game remain basically the same? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,564 posts
8,001 battles
2 hours ago, brokentooth said:

One other thing I would like you to comment on for me, what is your opinion on the following: I am concerned that the game is shifting into a more fantasy mode, invisible ships at close distances (in reality it couldn't happen), some amazing ships that belong in mythology, and looking at the promos, the possibility of submarines that appear to be out of the story 10 thousand leagues under the sea, (loved the space battles except for the fact it appeared all they did was to change the background to one of space, alter the ship designs to look funky, and really it was no different than the usual battles on earth), and so on.  Great if the subs were like the originals. The closeness to real situations of amazing ships in battle is one of the reasons that drew me to the game in the first place.  To me the mixing, to a degree is fine (like using ships from space battles), but if I wanted fantasy I would go play something like Age of Empires.  Will the game remain basically the same? 

Well, as you can see, I am a super tester, I am not allowed to comment on upcoming features... :cap_haloween:

However the game is coming to be, I am ready to adapt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×