You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

You just can't tell some people.

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
754 posts
8,493 battles

End of a tight game. Both teams were capping and as you can see from the screeny, it was going to be close.

My two remaining allies were in cap but as I went into it I was spotted.

I couldn't see who was spotting me and of course had no idea if I was about to be fired on while in cap - which of course would reset my cap contribution - so I left cap.

You can see from the mini-map that the last know positions show I was probably spotted by an enemy CV but I had no idea where the remaining enemy BB or CA might have been - worst case scenario, they were BOTH about to fire on me so I decided to try to get into a position to reset our cap or maybe get a kill to get the points back into our favour in the event of a timeout.

I tried to point this out to this one guy...

...but you just can't tell some people...

(Would have been funnier without my typo, but meh, what are ya gonna do?)

[Edit: Censored some of his "blue" language in case I get a language warning for posting it!]

cant tell.jpg

Edited by Max_Battle

Beta Tester
754 posts
8,493 battles
12 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Is that a "Rotating Minimap" ?? OMG,

It's only been 3 years.

Still deciding on UI customizations.

I only JUST worked out what Donkey Kong mods I like.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles
3 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

It's only been 3 years.

Still deciding on UI customizations.

I only JUST worked out what Donkey Kong mods I like.

I used to use that, and my friends used to laugh at me. Well its because I can't tell north from south, I only understand left and right.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,764 battles

I'm very confused as to your tactics here.  You left the cap because you might get reset?  You also might not get reset, and if someone shoots at you that gives you the opportunity to shoot back.  Even if they shoot, they would have to continually reset all three of you to stop the cap, and that is going to get them killed.  Not to mention you're going off on your own with two CV's left.  I can see why your team mates were upset with you (although that's no excuse for abusing you).

245 posts
5,809 battles

Tough situation, with 2 CVs left alive and none on your team.

Its hard to make tactical decisions in the heat of battle. You clearly considered your options, and took the one you thought was best... which is more than some people do. You’ve also communicated your intentions to your teammates.

I probably would have stayed in cap to share aa and reduce cap time. But trying to go on offensive and drawing fire away from BBs in cap (it does happen), is not the worst idea.

Having different strategies is not a bad thing, they are not always going to work, but you can’t prove that the other options will work either. No one has the right to abuse you like that, it IS only a game. But kudos for trying to explain anyway.

1,340 posts
8,848 battles

While that guy was being a :etc_swear: and deserves to be reported, he does have a point.

Why did you leave the cap? Sure you were spotted, but no one was shooting you right? If they shot at you, they would still need to hit you or have a near miss to make you lose your points. Not to mention they may be revealed by firing. But by leaving the cap they didn't even need to shoot at you to make you lose your cap points.

Now you were probably thinking that if you were spotted, they could have constantly shot at you, slowing your team's progress. That is a sensible decision, if your teammates were DDs or something. But since you 3 were all BBs, it is very likely that if you were spotted, so were they. And since you left the cap, the enemy only needs to hit 2 ships to reset the cap instead of 3.

Letting your teammates cap out while you rushed back to base to defend might have worked, but that doesn't seem to be what you were trying to do.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am not trying to put you down. After all, in the heat of battle it is not easy to see the big picture. But I can see why that guy was upset, though that doesn't give him the excuse to rage in chat.

Good on you for being the better person and not raging back at that guy though. :Smile_honoring:

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts

Judging from your SS, your opponent have started capping (which I think BB only?), and your team had almost finished capping = win.

Since there are no planes to spot your team mate, the best possible option to reset their cap is to send their CA to the other side (Line 9 -10) and fire with his own spotting, but with such time frame, they would have took a much direct approach.

And they have to fire their salvo earlier than the Screenshot suggested because unless opponent CA entered their cap - which did not happened because your team mate did not spot it.

Finally, it is normal to meet rude and swearing individuals in any PvP games, sometimes work place irl, both side aren't wrong in that situation, he has his worries of throwing the winnable game away as much as you.

in conclusion - for a better judgement we need replay.

Edited by spixys

Beta Tester
754 posts
8,493 battles

Interesting responses/thoughts from people.

Yes I guess there were other things that could have happened.

Some things I didn't know:

1. Did the CV's have any planes left? It was a low tier battle and low tier CV's don't have many planes. I hadn't seen any planes for a while and could see none on mini-map. My call was that they had no planes left and so protecting the cap with my reasonable (for tier) AA did not seem necessary.

2. Were the enemy CV/CVs spotting me and/or my allied cappers? If they had no planes they might have decided to sacrifice themselves to spot and give their teammates a shot. I don't know what the enemy communication was like at this stage. If the CVs were indeed teamplaying, getting to them and either killing them or forcing enemy team to fire on me and not cappers seemed reasonable.

3. I did not know who was capping. Was it the CA? What was his health? Where was the enemy BB and what was HIS health? What if the CA stayed in cap and the remaining enemy BB had enough health and knowledge to fire into cap, not to kill but just to tap each one of us and reset cap?

Yes there were other things that could have happened.

As it turned out, neither me nor my teammates were actually fired upon at all.

It is possible the enemy team simply turned tail and ran (the BEST possible scenario!).

My team completed the cap and we won.

Yes I agree with people who say "what if this" or "what if that", of course I do.

In the end, my call was correct and we won.

115 posts
2,630 battles

So you left cap because you worried your cap contribution got reset? Yeah I don't get it either. Oh btw just because you won doesn't necessarily mean you've made a good call.

Beta Tester
754 posts
8,493 battles
2 minutes ago, zergling_ said:

So you left cap because you worried your cap contribution got reset? Yeah I don't get it either. Oh btw just because you won doesn't necessarily mean you've made a good call.

Yep.

I have seen battles where allied team crowds the cap only to get reset and have one lone enemy maintain their cap.

I have seen games lost because of this.

2,221 posts
13,701 battles
23 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Yep.

I have seen battles where allied team crowds the cap only to get reset and have one lone enemy maintain their cap.

I have seen games lost because of this.

Thing is though if you are going to leave their cap to protect yours then you should make a beeline straight to the cap. You on the other hand are taking the scenic route.

Beta Tester
754 posts
8,493 battles
8 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Thing is though if you are going to leave their cap to protect yours then you should make a beeline straight to the cap. You on the other hand are taking the scenic route.

True enough. I guess I was focused on those last known positions of CVs. I was pretty sure they were spotting me.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

On topic:

You leaving the cap was the worng call, cause of these obvious reasons...

1. You should know what cruiser they had and how much health he had. Pressing tab should show you the list.

2. There is an island right next to the cap, you could just sit close to that. If enemy wanted to spot you back, they had to come around. Knowing that map, anything bigger than DD would have been spotted themselves.

3. You moved out to wrong direction, it makes no sense to me that someone is in your cap and you move out to shoot a CV.

4. By leaving the cap you just gave enemy back their cap points, without a fight. Basically you raised a white flag.

5. By leaving the cap, you reduced target that enemy need to reset by 1. Before they had to reset 4, now 3. You get that, right?

6. They had CVs, they could spot you anyway. Getting reset isn't the end of the day, you generate points right away. Capping in standard needs 3 minutes for full cap by one ship. That's enough time to travel between caps in that map.

Do you still think you made the right call? It sounds more like you had some misconception about caps and reset, or how they work. As you can see, a simple question like "should I leave the cap or not" can lead to a lot of thought process.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
754 posts
8,493 battles

Upon a good deal of reflection I have decided I stand by my decision.

And I have reflected, and read people's thoughts and doubted myself.

Many things could have gone this way or that, or been this or that. One screenshot does not convey enough information.

However I believe the real mistake I've made is in posting a single screenshot and expecting it to convey a great many more things that is reasonable.

I was just a little amused at anonymous swear bear's reaction and wanted to share that as much as anything.

I thought that was funny. My bad.

245 posts
5,809 battles
7 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Upon a good deal of reflection I have decided I stand by my decision.

And I have reflected, and read people's thoughts and doubted myself.

Many things could have gone this way or that, or been this or that. One screenshot does not convey enough information.

However I believe the real mistake I've made is in posting a single screenshot and expecting it to convey a great many more things that is reasonable.

I was just a little amused at anonymous swear bear's reaction and wanted to share that as much as anything.

I thought that was funny. My bad.

While the other players reaction is not acceptable, on this forum, if not the entire game, inadequate play is considered a far worse crime.

People will judge your play first and foremost. And anything less than a full replay is not enough.

Me? I can forgive a lot if the team wins, no use agonising over an “almost” loss.

You’ve put more effort into this than I think most people would. And learnt a few things and re-evaluated your play.

You did what you thought was best at the time, whether it was or not. You did not lose, so your decision did not throw the game.

But whether right or wrong, people will always judge you as wrong if you do something they would not do.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,764 battles
On 9/22/2018 at 2:13 AM, icy_phoenix said:

On topic:

You leaving the cap was the worng call, cause of these obvious reasons...

1. You should know what cruiser they had and how much health he had. Pressing tab should show you the list.

2. There is an island right next to the cap, you could just sit close to that. If enemy wanted to spot you back, they had to come around. Knowing that map, anything bigger than DD would have been spotted themselves.

3. You moved out to wrong direction, it makes no sense to me that someone is in your cap and you move out to shoot a CV.

4. By leaving the cap you just gave enemy back their cap points, without a fight. Basically you raised a white flag.

5. By leaving the cap, you reduced target that enemy need to reset by 1. Before they had to reset 4, now 3. You get that, right?

6. They had CVs, they could spot you anyway. Getting reset isn't the end of the day, you generate points right away. Capping in standard needs 3 minutes for full cap by one ship. That's enough time to travel between caps in that map.

Do you still think you made the right call? It sounds more like you had some misconception about caps and reset, or how they work. As you can see, a simple question like "should I leave the cap or not" can lead to a lot of thought process.

Icy is 100% right here.  You didn't choose the right option.  That's not a massive deal though, use it and the advice that people have given you here as a learning experience, so you're more likely to make a better decision next time.  :Smile_Default: