You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shifty_Panzer

Submarines Are Coming

45 comments in this topic

243 posts
345 battles

Yes they are coming for real and fresh:cap_like: I dont know if this is a good news or bad news for you, share it down below! 

Remember that guy who wants submarines to be added into the game? His/her wish is about to came true. I will clarify some things or two :

• First off, they are adding Submarines for the halloween special event, i still dont know if Submarines will stay as a permanent line or not.
  • Second of all, they are still WORK IN PROGRESS so expect some changes, nerfs and buffs.
  • I said theres a chance subs will stay as a permanent line because they always used the Halloween and April fools event to test new mechanics / gameplays.
  • Last but not least, to balance things out, Subs will have a different spotting mechanics underwater compared to spotting mechanics at the surfaces (obviously)

As quoted from Flamu " WG has always used the Halloween and April fools event for testing the new gameplay, its always has been like that. You know operations? they refers to the Halloween event in 2016, other things they tested is dynamic weather, cyclone, reload booster, single torps launcher, all of these are mechanics that WG has tested during Halloween."

Lets hope when it arrive it will be "balanced" as much as possible, im worried :Smile_ohmy: And yes, DD will play a role encountering these Submarines.

So we can basically sums up that in 2019 there will be two new lines, the Submarines line and the reworked CV line. The reworked CV line is basically just a new class. For more informations, gameplays and opinion you can click the video down below :

Spoiler

2.thumb.jpg.5899e1f8b8e4ef7066da2d92c4e4

1.thumb.jpg.a6a894870736375f737f8cd14745

Edited by Shifty_Panzer
Added videos and photos

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
943 posts
5,633 battles

Who wouldn't want a boat that has a top speed of 9kts (submerged) to play......game over.....wait I'm still at my start point :Smile-_tongue:

They would makes the T3 BB's look like speed boats.

42 posts
5,500 battles

Flamu noted the subs have 1.5 minutes of air, after which they must surface. That's a chance to hit them I guess, as long as you can see them: one surfaced aub was unspotted at under ~4 kms, and a submerged sub unspotted at ~2.5 kms, so your turrets better turn fast I guess (no intel yet on how fast a sub refreshes its air). 

DDs are the natural sub hunter (depth charges), so they're going to be even busier and under more oressure than they are already?

Anyway, probably at least a year away.

Edited by Farlesquew

13 posts
1,491 battles

A submarine line within the game would certainly be interesting to have and play. That said, Farlesquew does have a point above. It's probably gonna be a while before we get a proper submarine line, and that's IF its successful past testing or any events.

239 posts
5,804 battles
2 hours ago, Farlesquew said:

Flamu noted the subs have 1.5 minutes of air, after which they must surface. That's a chance to hit them I guess, as long as you can see them: one surfaced aub was unspotted at under ~4 kms, and a submerged sub unspotted at ~2.5 kms, so your turrets better turn fast I guess (no intel yet on how fast a sub refreshes its air). 

DDs are the natural sub hunter (depth charges), so they're going to be even busier and under more oressure than they are already?

Anyway, probably at least a year away.

I agree, so much pressure is already put on DDs. They have a much lower threshold for mistakes as other ships, try to cap, get radared/ spotted by enemy DD, dead in 30 seconds. Try to spot, get accused of being passive, try to actually get so though damage, get accused of being selfish. It’s also not uncommon to see first ship dead is a DD.

You give this job to DDs, you’ll either find they ignor it (after all, you still can’t rely on ships to turn around and protect BB/CV who is under attack by that invisible DD which got past your lines), or they go after an easy kill, and leave the front lines, where they are needed. This will also cause BBs to play more passively.

Given the long standing issues they have had with CVs, I’m not sure this is a good idea.

WG need to decide what sort of game meta they want, and figure out, through lots and lots of testing in all areas, what changes to make to make that happen.

TBH, subs would be interesting, I’m looking forward to the Halloween event, but I’m not sure I would want them in the game proper.

Its possible that people are getting worked up over nothing, but I still don’t think there is clear confirmation one way or another.

You have Jingles saying this is only a concept work, see how people react and then decide whether to work on it or not, you have Flamu saying it will probably happen as they use these events as test beds, and you have the venturebeat interview saying it will happen in the next year or so. Jingles is probably the most correct, assuming the venturebeat interview is the dev being overly optimistic. But a lot of people seem to interpret this that subs WILL be a thing, it’s just a matter of time. Hope we get some clear guidance on this soon. Will have to wait and see.

Beta Tester
15 posts
402 battles

I hope we get subs, the game play seems like so much fun. Would be awesome if you could hear their sonar pulses when they are close as a warning. 

[LBAS]
163 posts
3,921 battles

There are far too many unanswered questions about Sub game play before we can make a judgement.

Speed is one thing, dive duration is another. How Depth Charges will work is a third, torpedos hitting subs is another...

Speaking of, is it just me, or does anyone else see it as 'Normal' torps only hit a surfaced sub, Deep Water torps hit a sub at periscope depth and the Asashio can hit submerged subs....

Will subs get Hydro Acoustic Search at all levels? Is so, what sort of range?

Ships 'share data' aka spotting, via Radio. Subs can't do that if submerged. Does this mean they will be able to do limited spotting at periscope depth?

Torps seem to be single fire, but will you be able to do a 'brace' launch?

Will the T9/10 subs get a Repair Party? Or like most DD's, is it not an option?

What lines will we be seeing? Off the top of my head, there should be a USN line, IJN, RN, KM and 'European', which included the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden etc.

Does this mean we will soon see a Brisbane/Sydney/Perth port? AS they were major naval bases during WW2 for Subs as well as surface ships.

Will other ships aside from DD's have the ability to detect, let alone engage Subs? After all, a Periscope depth sub may be immune to CL fire but not CA and BB main guns may be able to hit still.  However, obviously, when submerged, only Depth Charges may be able to hit.

Will Depth Charges be a consumable? A slow reload weapon like Torps? Fast reload like Main Guns?

Obviously Hydro will detect a sub, but lets face it, outside of the KM and LoYang, the other ships with Hydro have a limited range. How do other DD's detect subs? Does Hydro just expand the 'passive' detection radius?

Will Carriers have the ability to engage Subs outside of spotting when they are at Periscope depth?

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,825 posts
4,103 battles
2 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

these submarine is actually a gud option to counter radar sheeps and bring hydro into action. it will be more dinamyc than camping with radar.

Yes.  A hidden ship will really make the game more dynamic.