You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Deacon_Frost

Disciplinary action for being rammed?

31 comments in this topic

11 posts
1,989 battles

A few details, I'm playing a random battle in my Farragut, sitting in my smoke firing away when I get rammed by a cruiser basically T - Boned and pushed along out of my smoke where the cruiser then explodes and sinks and the message and voice over comes up saying I have received disciplinary action for damaging my allies. Why is this even a thing? I wasn't moving, wasn't even shooting in that direction. Then I get the warning once the battle is over Warning for unsporting conduct and I now have a teamkill penalty applied to me for 2 games. This hardly seems fair, I don't feel like I did anything wrong.

1,042 posts
7,507 battles
Just now, Deacon_Frost said:

This hardly seems fair, I don't feel like I did anything wrong.

Totally agree.

You have to consider that when if two ships come into contact, both get the penalty. It is an automatic thing, no human reviewing the situation.

11 posts
1,989 battles

There surely has to be a better system that can be implemented then that, so in my next 2 games I have to tip toe around on egg shells because if a stray shot hits a team mate or the usual oblivious team mate that sails into your torps takes damage I get locked out of anything but CO-OP. Might be better just sailing into the enemy not firing and getting killed for 2 games.

[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,290 posts
13 minutes ago, Deacon_Frost said:

There surely has to be a better system that can be implemented then that, so in my next 2 games I have to tip toe around on egg shells because if a stray shot hits a team mate or the usual oblivious team mate that sails into your torps takes damage I get locked out of anything but CO-OP. Might be better just sailing into the enemy not firing and getting killed for 2 games.

What's wrong with CO-OP?

11 posts
1,989 battles

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with CO-OP but I don't play the game for that aspect. That was the consequence of the notice if I damage team mates in the next 2 games.

Super Tester
7,586 posts
8,005 battles
3 hours ago, Deacon_Frost said:

A few details, I'm playing a random battle in my Farragut, sitting in my smoke firing away when I get rammed by a cruiser basically T - Boned and pushed along out of my smoke where the cruiser then explodes and sinks and the message and voice over comes up saying I have received disciplinary action for damaging my allies. Why is this even a thing? I wasn't moving, wasn't even shooting in that direction. Then I get the warning once the battle is over Warning for unsporting conduct and I now have a teamkill penalty applied to me for 2 games. This hardly seems fair, I don't feel like I did anything wrong.

Doesn't mean you were penalized for that particular match. More like the damage you dealt that match was enough to cross the threshold of team damage from last few matches.

And please do not deny it, it's written in codes and programs don't have particular point of interest against you.

Edited by icy_phoenix

1,042 posts
7,507 battles
17 hours ago, Deacon_Frost said:

16 hours ago, Deacon_Frost said:

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with CO-OP but I don't play the game for that aspect. That was the consequence of the notice if I damage team mates in the next 2 games.

This just isn't how that works.

If one stray shell hits an ally, you won’t be banned, you won’t even turn pink.

In my experience, if you are already pink and you get another penalty for hitting an ally with one or two torps, you have 6 pink games added. My record was 8 games in pink, I have not gone further.

And really, if there is an ally between you and an enemy, you *should* stop firing guns and especially torps, if you are pink or not. There is a lot of shades of grey (or pink) between “tip-toeing around” and being reckless.

Let me put it a different way. You see people who drive their ships, fire guns and torps without any regard for others in their team. The “unsportsmanship” rules were created to discourage this kind of behaviour. If you hit teammates often enough to get banned to coop, the player is correctly banned to playing coop.

But some people, in any situation, will find someone else to blame. They just don’t do things wrong, ever.

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Wait, back then when they made killing an ally instantly pink they said "Except ramming"

Because a 20HP ship can easily get themselves killed by ramming an ally for more than a couple of seconds

11 posts
1,989 battles
On 16/09/2018 at 11:38 PM, icy_phoenix said:

Doesn't mean you were penalized for that particular match. More like the damage you dealt that match was enough to cross the threshold of team damage from last few matches.

And please do not deny it, it's written in codes and programs don't have particular point of interest against you.

I love your instant hostility, the true sign of a bitter vetran. At what point in my post did I deny anything, I outlined the situation that had just happened and expressed my discontent towards the decision. I haven't been pink in a few weeks prior to this incident so not sure how long this threshold you speak of lasts for is calculated from. You keep enjoying that soap box that you obviously enjoying riding.

Edited by Deacon_Frost

Super Tester
7,586 posts
8,005 battles
7 minutes ago, Deacon_Frost said:

I love your instant hostility, the true sign of a bitter vetran. At what point in my post did I deny anything, I outlined the situation that had just happened and expressed my discontent towards the decision. I haven't been pink in a few weeks prior to this incident so not sure how long this threshold you speak of lasts for is calculated from. You keep enjoying that soap box that you obviously enjoying riding.

Yes, I enjoy the soap box, and I don't understand English well, so I don't really understand the real meaning of riding  a soap box. I love when someone with 1.3k battle experience writes a pathetic joke when he doesn't understand the mechanics of the game.

11 posts
1,989 battles

When someone comes to a forum to ask a question about something, then it is pretty obvious they don't understand that particular mechanic. To then be jumped on and basically belittled for it by someone who has vast experience and knowledge of that mechanic and the game in general pretty much says it all. Thank you for your time though.

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,785 battles

It's my understanding that if you kill a friendly ship, even if you only did the last 1 pt of damage, then you turn pink.  So if he was ramming you and ate a salvo that nearly but not quite killed him, then you did the last little bit of damage from the ramming, then you would turn pink.

354 posts
9,048 battles
17 minutes ago, Deacon_Frost said:

When someone comes to a forum to ask a question about something, then it is pretty obvious they don't understand that particular mechanic. To then be jumped on and basically belittled for it by someone who has vast experience and knowledge of that mechanic and the game in general pretty much says it all. Thank you for your time though.

Don't let it get to you, your question was quite reasonable but it does get raised pretty often in this forum (and, icy by name, icy by nature :cap_haloween:)

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,785 battles
3 hours ago, Deacon_Frost said:

Sadly some people are like that, I guess it makes them feel better about themselves to make the newer players feel bad about their perfectly understandable lack of knowledge.  I feel like apologising on his behalf, since he likely won't do it.

Super Tester
7,586 posts
8,005 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

Sadly some people are like that, I guess it makes them feel better about themselves to make the newer players feel bad about their perfectly understandable lack of knowledge.  I feel like apologising on his behalf, since he likely won't do it.

If you can actually read anything, he wrote offensive response first. My original response had nothing to do with it. I just told him why just one game is not the only reason, and told him in advance not deny it, just like everyone does in pink threads every week. He is the one who needs to apologise. Not me.

Also, if you don't have anything to say original instead of tailing my posts, why do you even bother? Wait I know why, "cause some people are like that", I mean you.

11 posts
1,989 battles
On 16/09/2018 at 11:38 PM, icy_phoenix said:

Read back over the last sentence of your first response. By saying "And please do not deny it" you have come to your own conclusions and basically said you do this often so you deserve it. If I try to deny it after this then your statement makes me a liar and then who will people side with the person who is a super tester with over seven thousand battles or the person with one thousand battles and no knowledge of the games mechanics.

Any way the situation is done and dusted now, I spent my two games pink and went back to normal. Thank you everyone for the responses,  I will just have to be more aware of my surroundings in future engagements when I'm in the same situation

Super Tester
7,586 posts
8,005 battles
2 hours ago, Deacon_Frost said:

Read back over the last sentence of your first response. By saying "And please do not deny it" you have come to your own conclusions and basically said you do this often so you deserve it.

Well, I just asked few other people whether it means I said you do this often, and you deserve it, all of them said no. Maybe if you could stop over thinking, things would not be so hard.

1,042 posts
7,507 battles
2 hours ago, Deacon_Frost said:

By saying "And please do not deny it" you have come to your own conclusions and basically said you do this often so you deserve it.

You will find that often Icy “knows things” that he actually cannot know. I guess with his vast experience, after reading a sentence or two, he understands the situation better than the person who has experienced it. Don’t try to explain something to him, he knows better before you even post. How he does that, I don’t know. I haven’t reached his level of experience and knowledge and probably never will.

1,356 posts
8,892 battles

Not sure if it is just me, but I feel that the team damage threshold has been reduced drastically recently to where it is extremely easy to turn pink.

A few days back I was in a coop game where I accidentally hit a nearby ally (didn't realise he hadn't cleared the firing angles of my rear guns) with just two HE shells and I instantly turned pink. But I am very sure I hadn't done any team damage to anybody the past week or so. :Smile_amazed:

Beta Tester
609 posts
6,785 battles
8 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

If you can actually read anything, he wrote offensive response first. My original response had nothing to do with it. I just told him why just one game is not the only reason, and told him in advance not deny it, just like everyone does in pink threads every week. He is the one who needs to apologise. Not me.

Also, if you don't have anything to say original instead of tailing my posts, why do you even bother? Wait I know why, "cause some people are like that", I mean you.

Your original response was completely passive aggressive, of course he was going to take offense to that. 

Many players come here that don't know too much about the game, they haven't posted much on the forums, but they have a question they don't know the answer to so they start a thread. How do you think people feel when as a response to their question, vastly more experienced players come along and treat them with absolutely no respect, like they are lesser people because they don't know as much about the game.  Most of them will be pretty reluctant to ask questions after this sort of treatment, which means that we have players who know less about the game, and less people actively contributing on the forums, both of which aren't particularly good, and which are the result of your dismissive way of talking to what you clearly think are lesser people.  Also many other players read the forums and learn about the game from them, so less people asking questions means all those people know less about the game as well.

Perhaps next time someone posts asking a question which you know the answer to, you could either post a pleasant and helpful answer that treats the OP with respect, or show some restraint and not post at all.  Both of these things are better than your current way of behaving.

112 posts
2,960 battles

I reckon the issue would be vastly improved by the penalty being applied to the ship which is moving fastest. Yes it gives idiots an opportunity to game it, but it is much less than the current process, especially if there is a division of idiots.

I feel for people who suffer a penalty when I am not watching where i am going and run into them (DD escaping enemy fire mostly). I'm in the faster and more manuoeverable ship, and they are pretty much helpless to avoid the collision.

Super Tester
7,586 posts
8,005 battles
6 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Not sure if it is just me, but I feel that the team damage threshold has been reduced drastically recently to where it is extremely easy to turn pink.

A few days back I was in a coop game where I accidentally hit a nearby ally (didn't realise he hadn't cleared the firing angles of my rear guns) with just two HE shells and I instantly turned pink. But I am very sure I hadn't done any team damage to anybody the past week or so. :Smile_amazed:

But the penalty has been reduced too. Now you only get 2 games unless serious damage dealt. I'm sure it was 3-5 in the past, and that would also take previous offence into account. And no, the threshold wasn't drastically reduced, not to my knowledge.

2 HE shells does not mean low damage though. Have a screenshot or replay to support this claim?

5 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Perhaps next time someone posts asking a question which you know the answer to, you could either post a pleasant and helpful answer that treats the OP with respect, or show some restraint and not post at all.  Both of these things are better than your current way of behaving.

It's ok man, people like you only comes to forum to check the humanity levels of my posts, at least I'm bringing you guys to the forum. If you think that way, you are doing the same. You think I am below you, I am some sort of sub human being while you hold the bar of humanity and decency that I must pass before posting. Please check my other posts too, plenty of opportunities to judge my behavior. I post 40 replies a week, you are judging a whole lot from 1/2 out of the massive amount, it's not fair. You wrote that big of a paragraph from 2 lines of my post, I wonder if the forum even have enough space for you to write about me, my behavior, my thought patterns, my intentions (which I thought only God can do) after you go through all my recent posts. Or is it because I'm just a poor Asian guy, so I need to pass your behavior tests before I post in a game forum so that I do not mistakenly pollute the environment? I have an idea, from next times, whenever I post in a rant thread, I will tag you so that you, Mr Superior Human Being can come and approve it.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[MEGA]
4,575 posts
17,576 battles
3 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

2 shells pink? what were you in, a RNBB?

1,356 posts
8,892 battles
7 hours ago, drakon233 said:

2 shells pink? what were you in, a RNBB?

I was in a Dallas and he was in a Mutsuki I believe. I suppose going by health percentage it was high enough to cross the threshold? I dunno.

7 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Have a screenshot or replay to support this claim?

Unfortunately no. I didn't really think much of it at that time because I was intending to play Scenarios for the rest of the day anyway.

I only remembered that after reading this thread.

5 posts
8,108 battles

Regardless of all the ranting and raving, I for one know how Deacon feels, and ended up cursing in one battle, low on health and on fire I took refuge behind an island to recover, when stopped, some seconds later a Musashi also on fire and a Mogami, decided to share the same spot, with nowhere to go, was rammed by both ships and penalised with a double whammy for unsporting behaviour. but hey that's the game mechanics unfortunately, remember it is JUST a game. :Smile_izmena: