You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
PanzerTitusFernandez

How to Richelieu?

30 comments in this topic

54 posts
1,827 battles

So i'm just an average joe guy who comes back from work to play ships. Anyway, i recently got my tier 8 French BB, the Richelieu, and i'm...very inconsistent with it. How do i make this ship work?, how does this ship play? and what skills do i need to have for my captain?. I'm hoping that some of you veterans can help me answer these questions because i really do like the ship and i do want to be better in it.

P.s, i just noticed in several maps where i did manage to get myself some solid cover and gradually push from there, i did reasonably well, is this a factor in playing the ship?

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

Richie has two main weaknesses, her gun caliber and her side armor. It's very easy to citadel a Richie, if someone shoots below the end of super structure, it's almost always a citadel hit. She uses 380 mm guns, which is pathetic when facing higher tier ships. Anything over 26 mm armor will start bouncing your shells when angled. So you kinda need to know the armor schemes of ships you might be facing, and switch ammo type accordingly.

Use your speed to get into better positions asap, make sure no one can flank you.

Captain skill-wise, on 4th row, id get CE and then FP. Although you may consider AFT if you plan on going secondary / AA build for Alsace or Rep.

54 posts
1,827 battles
8 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Use your speed to get into better positions asap, make sure no one can flank you.

Ok....so how do i flank ot get into better positions?. I mean i am sorry for asking the obvious question, but how do i those things in a battleship?, also any tips on recognising flanking/positioning opportunities?

10 hours ago, MatterCore said:

same play style :cap_yes:

So essentially, aside from flanking, find corridors and bow camp?

Edited by PanzerTitusFernandez

145 posts
1,294 battles

Just bow on and shoot. Never show broadside. Citadel under your turret is easily hittable. otherwise it makes seriously accurate shots so kill dds and cruisers first. Try staying in long range because your armor is vulnerable to HE. Dont be a chicken. instead, be a Bull and just run to enemy brawls and ram them like a baguette. you have insane amount of secondaries so go for secondaries upgrade. Concealment sucks even after upgrade instead of concealment upgrade/buff, use island. Thats it. if everything doesnt go on your favor then F3 and F5 key are basically ever invented because PC inventor knew there will be game with France nation in future. :cap_haloween:

Edited by Labeat

145 posts
1,294 battles
8 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

She uses 380 mm guns, which is pathetic when facing higher tier ships. Anything over 26 mm armor will start bouncing your shells when angled.

pls dont say that or Rich might get Main gun reload boost, which will make it worse lmao. as long as tirpitz and bismark doing "ok" , richelieu is even better imo

[LBAS]
4,472 posts
25,644 battles
1 hour ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

So essentially, aside from flanking, find corridors and bow camp?

Bow tanking

Camp and u dead, your team mate dead >> lose

54 posts
1,827 battles
1 hour ago, Labeat said:

Just bow on and shoot. Never show broadside. Citadel under your turret is easily hittable. otherwise it makes seriously accurate shots so kill dds and cruisers first.

Ok, the first part of the sentence seems reasonable, but honestly?, i find that the guns on the Rich are average, at best in terms of accuracy, very trollish too.

1 hour ago, Labeat said:

Try staying in long range because your armor is vulnerable to HE. Dont be a chicken. instead, be a Bull and just run to enemy brawls and ram them like a baguette.

Wait wait, so, you want me to stay at range, and then you ask me to be a bull and brawl....that's contradictory. I mean, at range the Rich doesn't seem to all that accurate for starters.

1 hour ago, Labeat said:

you have insane amount of secondaries so go for secondaries upgrade.

Okay...i have to object here, the Rich's secondaries are poorly placed, not to mention, it only has a small amount of them, it lacks the secondaries of the Bismark. It's only when you reach Alsace that secondaries become viable as far as i read.

1 hour ago, Labeat said:

pls dont say that or Rich might get Main gun reload boost, which will make it worse lmao. as long as tirpitz and bismark doing "ok" , richelieu is even better imo

Yessssss for reload booster!!

14 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

Bow tanking

Camp and u dead, your team mate dead >> lose

So essentially, make myself a corridor, fight enemies head on and bow tank?

Okay, but what happens if i'm my team leaves me out to dry?

145 posts
1,294 battles
36 minutes ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Wait wait, so, you want me to stay at range, and then you ask me to be a bull and brawl....that's contradictory. I mean, at range the Rich doesn't seem to all that accurate for starters.

You just cant stay on mid. either brawl (if youre top tier) or snipe (if youre bottom)

Edited by Labeat

603 posts
7,589 battles

Play bow-on but stay angled at the same time

Your gun can get taken out easily by 406's and above if the player knows about it and where to shoot especially close ranges

Just stay middle(12-15km).

The secondaries are all rear/side facing so, them secondaries build wont be effective as gun build

1st 10 pt commander point:Priority Target, Expert Marksman,Superintendent,Concealment Expert

1,011 posts
7,459 battles

In the "go in bow-tanking" approach,  you can use all your 8 guns, your opponent only use 4 or 6 of his guns. That's an obvious advantage for you.

Look, it really depends on how *you* prefer to play, then pick your captain skills accordingly.

This is always a good starting point:  http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Richelieu

For 4 point skills, the Wiki recommends both CE and AFT.

I find that AFT is the more "entertaining" option, but CE may give you better results for "serious" play.

My current captain is a 14 pt Jean-Jaques Honore with PT, HA, EM, AR, BFT and AFT. Secondaries range is 10.1km and a nice firework goes off when anything enters that circle. I haven't compared figures, but I don't think Richelieu is behind Bismarck/Tirpitz, when all these ships are specced for secondaries.

Short-range those 380's do damage, however, at that ridiculous 25km max-range it's hard to hit anything, and if you hit, even cruisers bounce AP shells. Regarding accuracy, going by stats (range/max dispersion), Richelieu's guns are slightly better than Bismarcks. 

Consider, on top of everything Richelieu has to offer, she also goes 32 knots and has a speed boost on top. If she would have also super accurate and hard hitting guns, that would be an OP ship.

You mentioned consistency. I'm not sure how you can achieve consistency with the "go in bow-tanking" approach. I may go well, or you get killed quickly. If you face an inexperienced player, he may let salvo after salvo AP deflect on your bow, good for you. But a good player will switch to HE, manoeuvre to get to your flank or know how to disable your guns.

54 posts
1,827 battles

Okay...so sum everything up, bow in tanking is the ship's strength. Correspondingly, if i'm top tier, i should find a place where i can ensure that i can bow tank safely without getting shot at by everyone i.e create a corridor. If i'm bottom tier, i should play conservatively. Perhaps supporting other higher tier BBs or stay with the cruisers. Bow tanking in my own corridor is still possible, but greater care must be taken especially in matches with Yamato's on all that. 

Next, regardless of the matches i'm in, i must know (and learn) where and when to flank, either to push the flank, or shoot at the sides of higher tier BB's. (Any tips on this please?)

Am i missing anything so far?

603 posts
7,589 battles
40 minutes ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Okay...so sum everything up, bow in tanking is the ship's strength. Correspondingly, if i'm top tier, i should find a place where i can ensure that i can bow tank safely without getting shot at by everyone i.e create a corridor. If i'm bottom tier, i should play conservatively. Perhaps supporting other higher tier BBs or stay with the cruisers. Bow tanking in my own corridor is still possible, but greater care must be taken especially in matches with Yamato's on all that. 

Next, regardless of the matches i'm in, i must know (and learn) where and when to flank, either to push the flank, or shoot at the sides of higher tier BB's. (Any tips on this please?)

you got the fundamental on richlieu right,now is your time to shine your way through to alsace

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles
10 hours ago, Labeat said:

Umm no. Tirpitz/Bismarck has other things going for her, like fantastic secondaries, tough armor to withstand HE spam.. Richie does not.

Well, you will do better as you play more and more. But bow tanking in squishy ships is risky. Once you go bow in, you basically lock yourself in place. Your only option is to reverse out into concealment. If you can't do that, you will lose your ship.

Staying bow on in slow BBs make sense, but it isn't good for ships with good mobility, unless brawling at super close range.

And Don't forgot to stitch ammo types.

54 posts
1,827 battles

Ok. So status report, haven't been able to get much games yesterday and not today, due to work and health issues, but i followed the advice stated in this thread, tried to fight enemies head on, tried to ensure my bow is doing tanking and my flanks are covered, tried to minimize the amount of broadside i show when i turn i.e pick the right time to turn and most importantly, pay extra attention to the MM and mini map, the former so that i can decide the strength of my opposition, the latter so that i know where the best locations for creating corridors and bow tanking are, to ensure that i always have ships with me (can't do anything if they leave me out to dry though) and lastly, putting those two together to decide to push or defend.

Not going to lie, it's a pretty steep learning curve for me. And i need more than a handful of games to get good, but preliminary results are good.

20 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Well, you will do better as you play more and more. But bow tanking in squishy ships is risky. Once you go bow in, you basically lock yourself in place. Your only option is to reverse out into concealment. If you can't do that, you will lose your ship.

I agree with the whole squishy thing. The Rich handles 406mm ap shells well enough, but goes up like a forest fire when it encounters HE spam.

12 posts
4,895 battles

Mid range is the sweet spot for Richelieu,, bow on and use the speed boost to forward / reverse hack :D. . and i would say richelieu is far more accurate guns compare to alsace

54 posts
1,827 battles

So, put all the tips together, with some improvisation on my part, has seen some great leaps forward in my Richelieu gameplay. It's not the uber consistent games you uber players have, but this...this is good enough for an average joe like me :)

All i have to do now is get better and ensure that i learn my own lessons.

shot-18.09.19_21.12.05-0695.jpg

shot-18.09.19_21.12.10-0985.jpg

shot-18.09.19_22.01.29-0507.jpg

shot-18.09.19_22.01.33-0765.jpg

54 posts
1,827 battles

Guys....i did it....i've unlocked the Alsace!

Disclaimer, i didn't free exp it, i basically grinded through for hours on end (it helps that i'm on leave) and that i paid attention to what i was doing. It was thanks to you all that i managed to unlock the Alsace, though obviously buying it is out of the question as i lack the funds to do so.

Anyway, i want to hear your thoughts on the Alsace, how do you play it?

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles
4 hours ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

Anyway, i want to hear your thoughts on the Alsace, how do you play it?

Best way to play any ship is to use your own creativity to shift the situation into your favor. Alsace is no different.

Personally, I am not a big fan of 380mm guns in a tier 9 ship. Basically you need to switch between AP and HE depending on what you can penetrate and what you can't. Your guns do pack a punch, but only when the caliber passes the overmatch check.

She is also a very good brawler, and you have insane secondary range. However, if you go for full secondary build, you will need both Manual Secondary and IFHE skills. That means if you pick AFT, you cannot take FP or CE.

54 posts
1,827 battles

Ok then...so are the tactics i used in the Richelieu viable in the Alsace?

Also, personally, what do you think about the Alsace? How does it compare to the rest of the competition?

Also, where do i find out the Sigma values for the guns?

Edited by PanzerTitusFernandez

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles

then...so are the tactics i used in the Richelieu viable in the Alsace?

Umm, no, not entirely. You do have a back turret this time. Also super long secondarie and super strong AA. Just avoid HE spammers.

1,105 posts
18 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

She is also a very good brawler, and you have insane secondary range. However, if you go for full secondary build, you will need both Manual Secondary and IFHE skills. That means if you pick AFT, you cannot take FP or CE.

manual secondary and IFHE is waste on Alsace, its secondary is already accurate and you cannt phew-phew multiple enemy at time. IFHE for whut? +10K more secondary damage seems crap compared to fire damage caused by its secondary. 

AFT+BFT+CE is MUSS for maximum YOLO

54 posts
1,827 battles

So...what equipment should i slot in the Alsace, what crew skills?

On 9/21/2018 at 10:50 PM, icy_phoenix said:

Umm, no, not entirely. You do have a back turret this time. Also super long secondarie and super strong AA. Just avoid HE spammers.

No what i meant was, can i still use the tactics i learnt in the Richelieu?

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but the 100mm secondaries are weak in the penetration department, they work on cruisers on DD's, but not on other BB's, heck, even the wiki doesn't think that is a good idea.

Super Tester
7,542 posts
7,978 battles
3 hours ago, PanzerTitusFernandez said:

So...what equipment should i slot in the Alsace, what crew skills?

No what i meant was, can i still use the tactics i learnt in the Richelieu?

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but the 100mm secondaries are weak in the penetration department, they work on cruisers on DD's, but not on other BB's, heck, even the wiki doesn't think that is a good idea.

You are absolutely correct. You will need IFHE if you decide to go full secondary build. One more thing though. the french secondaries arent as durable as german ones. keep that in mind too.

And yes, ofcourse the tactics you learnt will come handy.

54 posts
1,827 battles

So, played 8 games today, 4 wins and 4 losses. But all in all, so far so good. The only complaint i can truly make about the Alsace is the gun caliber. Beyond that, even stock, the ship is one the most mobile tier 9's and the 380's have great velocity.

shot-18.09.24_19.18.48-0584.jpg

shot-18.09.24_19.18.52-0118.jpg

shot-18.09.24_19.18.56-0691.jpg

shot-18.09.24_19.19.01-0638.jpg

shot-18.09.24_20.24.28-0945.jpg

shot-18.09.24_20.24.33-0593.jpg

shot-18.09.24_20.24.38-0585.jpg

shot-18.09.24_20.24.42-0957.jpg