You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FinbarAu

Spotter Planes

14 comments in this topic

[LBAS]
164 posts
3,935 battles

Ok, So I finally got my Montana captain up to where I was thinking about a new skill and decided to get the Direction Center for Catapult Aircraft. After all, it gives me twice the ability to spot incoming torps....

Then I realized something.

Lets take a look at the math.

The Montana has a base of 7 Spotter Aircraft. This is without the Premium upgrade. (Yes, I have Superintendent). However, the times for the spotters got my attention. Both Premium and Regular have a duration of 100 Seconds. Ok, thats fine and all, but the refresh rate..... 240 seconds for premium and 360 for regular.

Check that out. The Premium version has a cool down of FOUR MINUTES!! I don't even.

Lets say, I take Regular, non superintendent Spotters. Thats 6. 6x5=30. A normal match is 20 minutes. You literally can't even use all your Spotter Aircraft!!

As it stands, I have the Premium version, so with superintendent, I have 8 Spotters. With a cool down of 240 seconds, I literally cannot use a third of them.

Is there any other Consumable that is so utterly wasted? If you are lucky, in a BB, and you launch a Spotter the moment your game begins, you have 1.40mins  of spotter, so likely 2 shots at most before it goes to cool down. Then you have four minutes of cooldown. So the match is 5.40 down. You immediately launch your next spotter. 1.40 later the consumable is gone, so thats now 7.20 mins into the match.

Why do I have 8 spotter aircraft then?

Wouldn't it make sense for several things. First, give it the same active and reload time as the Catapult Fighter. Second, buff the Spotter plane. Sure, it adds to your Range by 20%, but I am not talking about that. Increase it's ability to spot. Maybe you pick up your Detection Range, like how the Upgrade 'Target Acquisition System' works? +10%, +10%, +25% to the module's (20, 20, 50).

How about we try to actually FIX the consumable that is utterly wasted and underused.

Alternate ideas, change everyone to have the Musashi Spotter plane? It has a 120 second duration and more importantly, literally HALF the cooldown time.

Another idea, Merge the Catapult Fighter and Spotter Aircraft into one consumable with combined attributes.

More ideas. Drop the number of uses for a Spotter consumable and increase it's power somehow.

The overall point is, Spotter Aircraft is massively under-used, failing in it's setup and unlike most other consumables in the game, cannot be entirely used! Literally, can you think of any other consumable that cannot be used up by the end of a normal battle?

[LBAS]
164 posts
3,935 battles

And yet..... Lets assume the Spotter Plane is shot down within  second of launching every single time.

I still have the base 4 minute cool down on Premium. 6 Minutes on regular. Which means, I can use, at most 5 Spotter Planes over the course of a battle. That still leaves charges for the consumable that CANNOT be used. Which makes absolutely no sense.

[LBAS]
164 posts
3,935 battles
38 minutes ago, MatterCore said:

Yamato 8 spotter planes :cap_rambo:

and even if everyone is shot down immediately after taking off, you don't get more than 4 or 5 in use during the game.

So why even put 8 there?

[LBAS]
4,502 posts
25,685 battles
1 hour ago, FinbarAu said:

and even if everyone is shot down immediately after taking off, you don't get more than 4 or 5 in use during the game.

So why even put 8 there?

2 catapult launchers but can uses only 1 plane/launch

still dont know why they didnt change it

with 2 catapult planes can take off 2 planes 1 by 1

or 1 in sky and 1 waiting for that one return and launch at once after that

325 posts
4,679 battles

Sounds like a simple case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand would be doing later on.

The number of consumables is probably some simple mathematical formula calculated based on tier, with a multiplier for premium. Nobody told the algorithm how long the match is, however, or what the cooldown times would be. So, currently for T10 ships it's quite possible to have more charges than it is possible to use in a match.

259 posts
5,829 battles

Not sure it really matters. Just means you won’t run out.

Spotter is useful in some situations, sure, but not so vital to ships that they NEED to use more charges in battle.

And spotter is not really game breaking either (unless you are Yuro).

I have never found myself cursing when my spotter runs out or is shot down, or is on cool down, nor have I found myself upset at the abilities that the enemy spotter gives them.

Just a funny quirk of the game.

243 posts
14,020 battles

Yamato's spotter planes are based on the fact they carried that many planes in the actual real life specs. I used to think like you but then I stopped thinking about it because it is pointless as WG does not think logically and things will not change.

FYI, on average use 1 to 2, at most 3.

259 posts
5,829 battles
1 minute ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Yamato's spotter planes are based on the fact they carried that many planes in the actual real life specs. I used to think like you but then I stopped thinking about it because it is pointless as WG does not think logically and things will not change.

FYI, on average use 1 to 2, at most 3.

That, and I don’t think more or less spotter planes affect the game at all.

1,040 posts
7,503 battles
22 hours ago, FinbarAu said:

Lets say, I take Regular, non superintendent Spotters. Thats 6. 6x5=30. A normal match is 20 minutes. You literally can't even use all your Spotter Aircraft!!

Well, yes. You wouldn't get the SI for spotter planes, but you might use the premium consumable for faster reload. That's the same with many spotter planes, regardless of tier.

May still want SI for extra heal or in this case radar.

Super Tester
7,583 posts
8,005 battles
On 9/14/2018 at 12:45 PM, PeterMoe1963 said:

Well, yes. You wouldn't get the SI for spotter planes, but you might use the premium consumable for faster reload. That's the same with many spotter planes, regardless of tier.

May still want SI for extra heal or in this case radar.

His point is, there is no way to use that many spotters in one game, why did WG decide to put so many charges.

1,040 posts
7,503 battles
On 9/15/2018 at 8:20 PM, icy_phoenix said:

His point is, there is no way to use that many spotters in one game, why did WG decide to put so many charges.

Yes, I understand that. I read his post.