Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HKFREE

About the number of dd in operations

32 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
1 post
5,844 battles

To wows official,

I like playing this game in operation, it is good.

But I always feel sad if more than 1 dd in the team because the operations are wasted and fail all the time.

Please and please change the matchmaker in operation mode, no more than 1 dd in team, many thanks!

(exclude the operation with  dd only)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

Depend on which operation and their skill, DD could work really well in operation, Aegis is one of most favor operation for grinding DD, there is a lot fragile target that very easy to citadel for DD gun . you can easy get 100-200k dmg which any gunboat DD no problem.

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
354 posts
9,048 battles

I was one of 3 cruisers teamed up with a cv and 3 dds in Ultimate Frontier recently - it wasn't a pretty sight :etc_swear:

At least with Cherry Blossom, you can't really be teamed up with inappropriate ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,648 battles

first battle today.

Yes DD's should be banded from operations they are stupidly OP :cap_rambo:

Use the gunboats DD's as the bot's evade most torps.

shot-18_09.07_07_06.27-0849.thumb.jpg.a7db1ba3636b6ea06dd25e442666312e.jpgshot-18_09.07_06_59.05-0023.thumb.jpg.852813e95eaa04719c3739e8cc78a317.jpg

and my second battle for today in op.

shot-18_09.07_09_59.53-0998.thumb.jpg.9f717b0da911a319154debf5092a322f.jpg

Edited by BigWaveSurfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,011 posts
7,473 battles
14 hours ago, HKFREE said:

But I always feel sad if more than 1 dd in the team because the operations are wasted and fail all the time.

I play operations a fair bit myself and enjoy them. Well, I know what you mean. I can feel my heart sink when I see 2 or 3 DD’s on the opening screen.

 

But by no means, more than 1 DD means a loss. I would prefer 3 good DDs over 3 idiots driving cruisers or battleships.

 

It is hard work, you need good DD players and you may not finish with 5 stars, but I have seen a fair few matches with 2 or 3 DD’s won.

 

Last night we had an Aigle and a Fubuki in Aegis, 5-star win. I had 5 kills in the Fubuki, which to be honest was a surprise. I also remember a few won matches with 2 or 3 in Newport, but not 5 star.

 

For the T6 ops for gunboats or hybrids like T-61, Gnevny, Farragut or Aigle can do OK. Those are quite capable to citadel attacking cruisers, but that requires careful positioning because you need a clean broadside less than 6km away. For Torp boats it is more of a challenge to contribute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
247 posts
5,822 battles

I tend to agree

While I have seen some very skillful DDs in operations, I find that the general population lacks the skill to maximise the DPS of a DD.

It will always depend on the class of the DD, operation and individual skill of the captain, but the major problem with DDs is lower DPS compared to the cruisers (and a penchant to get targeted and killed quickly, concealment is not imporatnt in ops).

1 DD is usually manageable, 2 can be tricky, but doable depending on skill, but 3 really limits your DPS. And while gunboats can work well in ops, it takes a very, very skilled captain to manage a torpedo boat, seeing 2 to 3 fubukis in the lineup mean your team is going to lose.

Ops should be limited to 2 DDs at maximum.

And oh god help me if I see 3 DDs in Newport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
237 posts
13,984 battles

A so so ship in the hands of a good player can be made good. An OP cruiser in the hands of the incompetent is useless.

I have seen a dd solo the 2CVs in killer whale and survive. The T6 ops are generally more forgiving towards dd packs. The T7 ones are not so forgiving as you need the dpm and ability to take punishment under fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
247 posts
5,822 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

The T6 ops are generally more forgiving towards dd packs.

Defence of Naval Station Newport.

DDs cannot kill ships fast enough unless they suicide torp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
945 posts
5,648 battles
9 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Defence of Naval Station Newport.

DDs cannot kill ships fast enough unless they suicide torp.

Might have to disagree about that. My favourite ship in that op is the Farragut.

I think the problem with DD's in ops is to do with them trying to torp and not use their guns and smoke enough. The bots are better at evading torps then human players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24
[PANTS]
Member
188 posts
10,309 battles

I don't mind having DD's in ops but most of the players I've met are just terrible, even in bank of Aegis. At times you have to carry your team, even as a DD

An example that actually happened just yesterday :Smile_hiding:
 

Spoiler

shot-18_09.06_21_25.45-0518.thumb.jpg.9dec8a48b82e275a6fc605289cdb4a7b.jpg

 

Edited by _AkaNo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,011 posts
7,473 battles
1 hour ago, BigWaveSurfer said:

I think the problem with DD's in ops is to do with them trying to torp and not use their guns and smoke enough.

Yes, Farragut is good, but if you have good players drive the cruisers, they will have a distinct advantage in gun range and DPM. You probably have a lot of kills stolen from you.

I find that often you can smoke in a spot from where you can citadel cruisers that go past, showing broadside.

 

1 hour ago, BigWaveSurfer said:

The bots are better at evading torps then human players.

The bots in operations have an uncanny ability to dodge torps. Torping from max range will not do much if any, damage.

 

But torps still work at short distances, say less than 5km. In Aegis, for example, when the match starts I go to the front, even further than the smoke set by the allied DD. Then I launch torps as soon as they are spotted, focusing on cruisers and battleships. If you time it right, you can kill one or two cruisers or BB’s just when they come around the island..

 

Similar in Raptor Rescue. You can dash to the front and torp the cruiser when she comes around the headland.  Save the second launcher for the BB. Gnevny works excellent, torps are short range but fast and do good damage. What the torps leave behind, you can kill at short range with guns.

 

So yeah, if you have DD’s that know what they are doing, there can be still a win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,011 posts
7,473 battles
27 minutes ago, _AkaNo said:

An example that actually happened just yesterday 

Yes, T-61 is another good ship for many of the T6 operations. Can citadel cruisers with AP at close to 10km.

Not often that you see DD’s on top of the table, also 1800 base XP is not so easy to achieve for a DD… but you demonstrate it can be done.

I can understand the OP doesn’t like more than one DD on the team, but the dumb players who die in the first minute or two will not contribute much to the win, regardless what ships type they drive. So the problem is the dumb players, not the number of destroyers on the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24
[PANTS]
Member
188 posts
10,309 battles
17 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

1800 base XP is not so easy to achieve for a DD

1900 XP is also possible, but difficult. Not sure if 2K base can be done after the exp nerf

Spoiler

shot-18_02.17_23_04.31-0537.thumb.jpg.4c26498b402e7379b56a41acacb8ce79.jpg

 

Edited by _AkaNo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
237 posts
13,984 battles
1 hour ago, BigWaveSurfer said:

Might have to disagree about that. My favourite ship in that op is the Farragut.

I think the problem with DD's in ops is to do with them trying to torp and not use their guns and smoke enough. The bots are better at evading torps then human players.

This one I definately agree. My Farragut is OP with the right backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SIF]
Super Tester
3,836 posts
4,138 battles

Some of the scenarios just aren't suited to DD's.   Narai, UF, Hermes, Cherry Blossom.  Other scenarios can cope with one or two.    IJN DD's are particularly useless as most scenarios rely on ROF to kill enemies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
237 posts
13,984 battles
45 minutes ago, _AkaNo said:

I don't mind having DD's in ops but most of the players I've met are just terrible, even in bank of Aegis. At times you have to carry your team, even as a DD

An example that actually happened just yesterday :Smile_hiding:
 

  Reveal hidden contents

shot-18_09.06_21_25.45-0518.thumb.jpg.9dec8a48b82e275a6fc605289cdb4a7b.jpg

 

GJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,011 posts
7,473 battles
On 9/7/2018 at 4:20 PM, dejiko_nyo said:

My Farragut is OP with the right backup.

I think you have to explain why you think Farragut is OP for Hermes, or was that sarcasm?

Many cruisers and BB’s will consistently achieve better results in Aegis, compared to Farragut.

I quite like Leander, Warspite or Bayern for this operation. I would be disappointed if I didn’t do at least 100k damage and earn a Natural Selection and/or Assistant in any of these ships. The same results, in any DD, including Farragut, would be a struggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
237 posts
13,984 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

I think you have to explain why you think Farragut is OP for Hermes, or was that sarcasm?

Many cruisers and BB’s will consistently achieve better results in Aegis, compared to Farragut.

I quite like Leander, Warspite or Bayern for this operation. I would be disappointed if I didn’t do at least 100k damage and earn a Natural Selection and/or Assistant in any of these ships. The same results, in any DD, including Farragut, would be a struggle.

Please, please, dear people read the statement in context before answering. And how can a Farragut be even played in Hermes. -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
78
[ANZAC]
Member
340 posts
11,499 battles
On 7/09/2018 at 4:20 PM, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Some of the scenarios just aren't suited to DD's.   Narai, UF, Hermes, Cherry Blossom.  Other scenarios can cope with one or two.    IJN DD's are particularly useless as most scenarios rely on ROF to kill enemies.  

This. Sometimes I'd swear the bots all have permanent German T10 hydro the way they torpedo beat. Gunboats can work, but IJN urrgh.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,011 posts
7,473 battles
27 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Please, please, dear people read the statement in context before answering. And how can a Farragut be even played in Hermes. -_-

Apologies, my fault. This was about Aegis, where you can pick any T6.

The lack of context is the problem with his post, it’s a one-liner. That’s why I asked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
237 posts
13,984 battles
8 minutes ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Apologies, my fault. This was about Aegis, where you can pick any T6.

The lack of context is the problem with his post, it’s a one-liner. That’s why I asked.

It's actually about Newport if you keep on going back in the quote thread.

But as you put it, dds are put at a disadvantage. Though it can me mitigated depending on the situation. However, I find big, slow, clunky ships to be even worse. Yes, I am looking at you New Mex. How I hated that ship. Slow - My team has pulled away from me. Slow firing - dammit! FIRE! FIRE! no! NOT FIRES ON MY SHIP! FIRE THE GUNS!!!.

But seriously, you do know the ability of your operations team when you see the worse possible ship (or CV) sitting way ahead on top of the rankings... A New Mex topping Killer Whale?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LBAS]
Member
4,478 posts
25,657 battles

T6 Operations

from good to meh

Aegis > Raptor > Whale > Base

 

for IJN DDs

Defense Naval Base never good

Killer whale need more luck

 

gunboat DDs, doing well :fish_happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,011 posts
7,473 battles
21 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

It's actually about Newport if you keep on going back in the quote thread.

I thought it was Aegis, because that was the operation of the week when the OP was posted. but I don't think it matters much in the "DD or no DD in operations" question.

 

21 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

However, I find big, slow, clunky ships to be even worse. Yes, I am looking at you New Mex.

You don’t have to go from one extreme to the next. You don’t see many New Mexi’s in T6 operations, I guess there is a reason. I personally have a distinct dislike for New Mexi, but quite like Bayern (secondaries build for brawling), Warspite (accurate guns) or Normandie (fast, long range).

 

27 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

But seriously, you do know the ability of your operations team when you see the worse possible ship (or CV) sitting way ahead on top of the rankings... A New Mex topping Killer Whale?!

 

I’d say that for a New Mexi it is about as likely to top the table as it is for a DD. Both will only be able to top the table when the cruiser players don’t know what they are doing.

In many operations, It is good to have a BB in the team. Otherwise, it can take long to sink enemy BB’s. So can a DD, but the bots are very good dodging torps.

 But In most operations, clearly, the best-suited ship is a high DPM cruiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×