You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tc1259

okay - I understand the whole anime girls and ships thing

11 comments in this topic

590 posts
2,995 battles

Long story short - I gave Arpeggio a shot and liked it, it was an interesting anime full of some great character moments, but it also kinda made me start searching for other shows in and around the same topic.

I started with Kancolle - the first three episodes I didn't know what i was really watching, it seemed totally out there but hey a great way to protect your IP. But then I realised that the show was actually pretty good, the character development, the story kinda made sense and suspending disbelief that small cannons that could strap to your arm could sink anything larger than a paper boat, I actually enjoyed it. Also helped that a friend of mine actually does the voice of Akatsuki in the english dub version. 

At the end of the series, I wanted more!

Which lead me to High School Fleet.... okay.... I don't understand how or why they teach children, all on there own, in ships... with live weapons, that is.... well beyond me. And I also don't know how or why they would give a ship the likes of Musashi to essentially a bunch of teenagers. But, I once again liked the story, i liked it's action scenes, i found myself finding that I wanted that plucky little destroyer to win and do the impossible, especially when the much more modern ships couldn't do a damn thing.  But again, come the series end, i'm sitting here going MORE! 

Why do all these shows abruptly end? 

1,859 posts
5,797 battles

Too much of a niche market... And most people watch from streaming sites instead of buying them like other shows on the net so they don't make that much money. Also it takes damn ages to animate those things... And the people who are interested in those generally dont have massive loads of cash to throw at the creators anyways.

Also maybe cos FBI

590 posts
2,995 battles

Nah - i've been watching through Funamation, which is a licensed site that does all the English Dub's for most of these titles, there are other studios :)

But I totally get why people like them! 

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles
8 hours ago, tc1259 said:

Munies, shackles, dollars, €€€.

Take Girls und Panzer for example, an anime about cute girls driving cute tanks.

The studio didn't have much of a budget for the initial run of the anime's first season and it shows.

After the first half of episodes the writing quality (The animation and drawing quality always were so-so) drops dramatically.

Heck, the final arc of the show pretty much stops being a sports anime entirely in trade for a Laurel and Hardy routine.

Then you get the sequel works, the OVAs and movie.

Writing, animation and drawing quality was improved by a lot.

However that only happened due to how much Girls und Panzer blew up both in and outside of Japan.

Btw, KanColle already got a sequel movie and a second season was announced, it just got awefully quiet after a while so nobody knows whether a second season will actually come or not.

Financially this isn't an issue since DMM is quite the large company... they do lack common sense and logic though.

590 posts
2,995 battles
On 05/09/2018 at 7:37 PM, Retia said:

Munies, shackles, dollars, €€€.

Take Girls und Panzer for example, an anime about cute girls driving cute tanks.

The studio didn't have much of a budget for the initial run of the anime's first season and it shows.

After the first half of episodes the writing quality (The animation and drawing quality always were so-so) drops dramatically.

Heck, the final arc of the show pretty much stops being a sports anime entirely in trade for a Laurel and Hardy routine.

Then you get the sequel works, the OVAs and movie.

Writing, animation and drawing quality was improved by a lot.

However that only happened due to how much Girls und Panzer blew up both in and outside of Japan.

Btw, KanColle already got a sequel movie and a second season was announced, it just got awefully quiet after a while so nobody knows whether a second season will actually come or not.

Financially this isn't an issue since DMM is quite the large company... they do lack common sense and logic though.

Great to know on KanColle :)

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts

iirc one of the background stories that was well known in GuP is the last 2 episode (tv) was aired few months off their season due to the team and studio could not be able to get it done within time schedule - which is now quite a common practice in anime.

The budget is always tight because in their mind, anime is a low risk business in Japan iirc, despite the cost of making them has risen steadily over the years due to market needs.

Who would have thought GuP actually gives huge surplus to a city and become its specialties back in the time its first episode aired?

1,340 posts
8,823 battles
On 9/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, tc1259 said:

Well it depends really. There are plenty of reasons, though mostly due to money.

Making anime isn't cheap, and the rising costs in recent years isn't making things easier. It is a lot less financially risky to make a shorter anime that only told part of the story. If people like it and the dvd/blu-ray sales are good, then the studio can make another season to continue the story and so on and so forth. If not enough people liked it, then at least they didn't waste so much money on it. Hence in the last decade or so you see a lot more 1-cour anime that tell only a bit of the story than 2-cour or longer anime which told the full story.

Iirc the main source of revenue is dvd/blu-ray sales, so unless people are buying those there is no financial incentive for them to make another season. It doesn't matter how much interest there is if nobody is buying the show and giving the creators money.

Also consider that most anime are nothing more than big advertisements for whatever manga/light novel/games they were adapted from. For example, the Arpeggio anime and movies are meant to draw people into buying the manga. Likewise the Kancolle anime and movie was mainly to get people interested in playing the game (it worked on me :Smile_hiding:).  So there is not much impetus to create another season, unless those behind it think it can drive up popularity numbers for the source material.

Of course, not all anime are adaptations. There are some anime original series like High School Fleet which weren't adapted from anything. For those it really boils down to how much money the makers can get out of the blu-ray sales or merchandising or licensing (like with collaboration with WoWs :Smile-_tongue:). Anyway last I heard there was a movie was being planned for Haifuri, but I am not too sure what is the status of that.

On 9/5/2018 at 7:07 PM, Retia said:

Imo I think the issue rests with Kadokawa too. Afaik the rights to the franchise itself mostly rests with Kadokawa (like anime,manga and merchandising), while DMM has the rights to the webgame related stuff. And while a Kancolle second season is certain within their capability, the question is whether they deem it useful/profitable enough to justify investing in it.

Also from what I heard the anime isn't very popular among Kancolle fans (those who started off playing the game first), so I am not sure what the movie and anime sales were.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts
17 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Also from what I heard the anime isn't very popular among Kancolle fans (those who started off playing the game first)

In fact, it does, even for me who had not played the game back then, finds it would had fail badly by reviewing its PV.

1,340 posts
8,823 battles

Yup, all the more why we shouldn't get our hopes up for a 2nd season.

Personally as a non-Kancolle player I thought it was alright. Not good but not bad either. And it did achieve its purpose of making me play the game later and spend money on Kancolle-related merchandise.

(Also without it I wouldn't have known about Inazuma and her Akatsuki-class sisters. Gosh I find them adorable :fish_cute_2:)

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
On 9/5/2018 at 12:53 PM, tc1259 said:

If you ask me, anime is something like "visual poetry". Images loosely held together by some story-line. But the story does not have to be rational or consistent, it is more about emotions.

And girls with big chests in short skirts, apparently.

[LBAS]
Beta Tester
324 posts
On 2018/9/12 at 3:30 PM, PeterMoe1963 said:

If you ask me, anime is something like "visual poetry". Images loosely held together by some story-line. But the story does not have to be rational or consistent, it is more about emotions.

And girls with big chests in short skirts, apparently.

3 decades ago it was a bit more than that, but now....

Edited by spixys
damn... my age....