You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SGVanguard

Tactics and Strats for SEA Server

39 comments in this topic

13 posts
838 battles

Now this isn't a hate/flame post. Merely an observation and request for help/ideas. Before playing WOWS, i was active on War Thunder since it's inception. The community is actually pretty good. But ive had a rather different experience with WOWS. Im from SG, so i naturally chose the SEA server, and it's safe to say that i highly regret it. There is little to no team work on pubs with very few players understanding their roles. My question for the vets on SEA is, since most people on pubs dont bother with objectives or just camp etc, what would be the best way to enjoy and maximize one's playing time? Play like everyone else i.e go solo and try and get as much damage in before a fiery death? Camp more? Stick with the crowd(strength in numbers)?

Any help would be deeply appreciated, thanks guys.

Edited by SGVanguard

[LBAS]
163 posts
3,924 battles

It really depends on what you are playing.....

Actually, I'm flashing back to a.....Jingle? Flamu? Someone did a Youtube vid for 'new players from Steam' and it was encouraging them to do the wrong things, but was hilarious.

In short, play to your strengths. Find a Clan/Guild/Team you like, there are plenty out there. Be social in that. More importantly, have fun.

As for how to play? Because of the Nation strengths and Line strengths, it can vary so much. Generally, DD's capture and spot. They can also roam around in front and behind enemy lines torping, however, I know I most appreciate them when they spot and stay alive.

Cruisers? Light cruisers hide behind islands and in smoke, then rain down rapid fire death on their enemies. Heavy cruisers hang around the mid ground and provide opportunity shooting and setting things on fire. Except German Cruisers, who hang around the back......and set things on fire.

Battleships? Tend to hang back and provide long range heavy fire......except German Battleships who sit in the mid ground thanks to their heavier armour and long range secondaries from Tier 8 and up.

Aircraft Carriers? Stay hidden. Stay very hidden. You have two jobs then, your planes need to do Damage and your planes need to Spot. The problem is the other Carrier will be trying to kill your planes, so you can't do your job. Kill his planes, then spot. Watch out from Tier 6 and up as 'Defensive Fire AA' kicks in for Cruisers and that eats planes.

Aside from that, watch the Flamu Videos. Watch the iChaseGaming videos and the Notser videos. Between them they will tell you how to set up and play just about every ship.

The Mighty Jingles tells you how to enjoy playing them and what NOT to do.

154 posts
4,084 battles

If you want fun with the addition of teamwork I would suggest finding some people to Div with. If they're good players they should be able to teach you faster than learning the mechanics by yourself. It also depends of what type you're currently playing as some early tier ships are more 'fun' than others. A fully upgraded Clemson for example is a really fun ship to play, while her I found her KM counterpart was not as good for my playstyle. It will inevitably depend on your overall playstyle for each ship class.

On a less relevant note, I was   playing War Thunder for quite some time before giving it up about 6 months back and all I can remember is being slaughtered by spawn campers who would simply hold their position in the spawn and shoot down any bomber unlucky enough to respawn below them.

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,863 battles

I think..there is no strat most of time unless with player that u already know. OR those who r already very good with a new unicum account..or truely very good player.

Most of time you will see campers..sniper(neverhit) from 27km.

Or allied DD that die as soon as the game start.

With this knowledge..I normally play as a selfish person..as that is most of time work for me.. unless i know my ally

Edited by RimauLaut

Beta Tester
727 posts
8,463 battles

Don't move first. Go to 1/4 throttle and watch the map for 2 minutes.

Observe the rest of your fleet.

React to your own fleet's movement and in the mean time, if you are lucky, someone may have made a call that more than two or three teammates actually follow.

The thing is, if what you are saying is true (and I have no doubt that it is - I experience myself all the time) then it cuts both ways.

By that I mean sometimes the negatives are focused in the enemy team and if you are patient, and if your team isn't complete garbage, sometimes you can outwait the enemy and punish them IF you let them make the mistakes you have witnessed on your own teams.

That said, I have sympathy AND empathy for the OP. 

I have such love/hate for this game BUT have you ever played Counter-Strike? MechWarrior? Battlefield series?

This is not unique to World of Warships.

I think it is exacerbated by the long setup time though - I mean it can take what seems to be a long time before you even see the enemy in some games and this gives you and your team a long time to setup in a great position or alternatively, a long time to get it so wrong... and to watch the whole team go and hide behind one cap point and to have seen this lead to being surrounded and a loss time and time again can really suck.

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
12 hours ago, SGVanguard said:

There is little to no team work on pubs with very players understanding their roles. My question for the vets on SEA is, since most people on pubs dont bother with objectives or just camp etc, what would be the best way to enjoy and maximize one's playing time? Play like everyone else i.e go solo and try and get as much damage in before a fiery death? Camp more? Stick with the crowd(strength in numbers)?

“There is little to no team work on pubs with very players understanding their roles. My question for the vets on SEA is, since most people on pubs dont bother with objectives or just camp etc, what would be the best way to enjoy and maximize one's playing time? Play like everyone else i.e go solo and try and get as much damage in before a fiery death? Camp more? Stick with the crowd(strength in numbers)?

I have only ever been on the Asia server, so no idea how it is on other servers.

A “lemming train” seems to be the only “teamwork” the average player masters. And yes, you see a lot of BB’s camp at the back and farm damage.

I guess it’s fair to say that you have to play the game in a division with friends and you would have to use TeamSpeak or Twitch for communication if you want teamwork.

I personally play now a lot of operations, and that can be frustrating enough. But operations are good for earning XP and credits and at this stage, keep me entertained.

1,011 posts
7,430 battles
1 hour ago, Max_Battle said:

The thing is, if what you are saying is true (and I have no doubt that it is - I experience myself all the time) then it cuts both ways.

I have the impression that the OP *wants* to work/cooperate with the team and the *wants* to avoid what causes so much frustration.

So no, I don’t think it “cuts both ways”.

112 posts
2,960 battles

For me I enjoy the games in which I play well. The close games where it is one side then the other winning are by far the best ones for me, especially where there is teamwork on both sides. Any teamwork is a pleasant surprise.

Yes its frustrating to get a bunch of damage while your team is melting, or be constantly spotting radar ships and DDs only to have your support ships continue to shoot and miss that Yam sitting at the back of the map....

But the only thing I really have control over is how I play. Play as well as you can and learn and its fun. 

For me that's being pretty aggressive in DDs.  I am happy to be on either the strong or weak flank as I generally play torp boats and having them push onto me is good.

In BBs, its helping the strong flank push forward and supporting the DDs.

I don't play that many cruisers at this stage.

[LNA]
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
14 hours ago, SGVanguard said:

Now this isn't a hate/flame post. Merely an observation and request for help/ideas. Before playing WOWS, i was active on War Thunder since it's inception. The community is actually pretty good. But ive had a rather different experience with WOWS. Im from SG, so i naturally chose the SEA server, and it's safe to say that i highly regret it. There is little to no team work on pubs with very players understanding their roles. My question for the vets on SEA is, since most people on pubs dont bother with objectives or just camp etc, what would be the best way to enjoy and maximize one's playing time? Play like everyone else i.e go solo and try and get as much damage in before a fiery death? Camp more? Stick with the crowd(strength in numbers)?

Any help would be deeply appreciated, thanks guys.

Teamwork is an alien concept. Proving one's superiority is the accepted bias concept.

People play to their ship strengths/ abilities and not cooperation ( whats that ? Not found since 2015 tm).

You will see player with very high individual skills and probably extremely good positioning as you climb the ladder , but their cooperation is like this :
Need smoke dd boi.
No comrade , smoke is for my escape
Need radar help dd ****

I dont see any need for radar 

and the list go on.
ASIA is quite a selfish server when it come to cooperation. More like player proving their worth in individual skill is the norm here and it isnt rare to receive an insult for personal mistake even though that insulter is half way across the map and dont know shit about the other flank.

CV is a MASTER RACE , full stop. You either in it to win or you drop out as a noob , there is no middle ground.

Instead of whack a mole manfight , you will see a lot of jabs and counter punches here. People will move to get a side shot , but where they end up will be questionable.

My conclusion : ASIA is great for honing individual skills , but a bad place to learn teamwork.
So my advice :
Dont expect any help , get it where you have it.
Always have a plan out.
Assume your allies are NPC , much easier ...

Edited by legionary2099

Beta Tester
727 posts
8,463 battles
3 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

I have the impression that the OP *wants* to work/cooperate with the team and the *wants* to avoid what causes so much frustration.

I think you misunderstood where I was coming from.

I wasn't commenting on the OP playstyle, I was commenting about the OTHER team experiencing the same thing and how to adapt/allow/take advantage of those situations.

[ZA]
163 posts
7,364 battles

Seriously, for the first 1000 games, you probably still learn basic game mechanics and maneuver skills. How the hell can you take advantage of game mechanics and execute tactic with others? 

My advice is play some more games, get in a decent clan and learn from other better players.

Those things that I can learn by myself compared to my first clan's mate and compared to my 2nd clans, are in such big leaps that you can never imagine.

13 posts
838 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 9:14 PM, FinbarAu said:

It really depends on what you are playing.....

Actually, I'm flashing back to a.....Jingle? Flamu? Someone did a Youtube vid for 'new players from Steam' and it was encouraging them to do the wrong things, but was hilarious.

In short, play to your strengths. Find a Clan/Guild/Team you like, there are plenty out there. Be social in that. More importantly, have fun.

As for how to play? Because of the Nation strengths and Line strengths, it can vary so much. Generally, DD's capture and spot. They can also roam around in front and behind enemy lines torping, however, I know I most appreciate them when they spot and stay alive.

Cruisers? Light cruisers hide behind islands and in smoke, then rain down rapid fire death on their enemies. Heavy cruisers hang around the mid ground and provide opportunity shooting and setting things on fire. Except German Cruisers, who hang around the back......and set things on fire.

Battleships? Tend to hang back and provide long range heavy fire......except German Battleships who sit in the mid ground thanks to their heavier armour and long range secondaries from Tier 8 and up.

Aircraft Carriers? Stay hidden. Stay very hidden. You have two jobs then, your planes need to do Damage and your planes need to Spot. The problem is the other Carrier will be trying to kill your planes, so you can't do your job. Kill his planes, then spot. Watch out from Tier 6 and up as 'Defensive Fire AA' kicks in for Cruisers and that eats planes.

Aside from that, watch the Flamu Videos. Watch the iChaseGaming videos and the Notser videos. Between them they will tell you how to set up and play just about every ship.

The Mighty Jingles tells you how to enjoy playing them and what NOT to do.

Thanks for the response. Well i got a rough idea, been playing for about 3-4 weeks now. 3-4 hours a day. Been watching tons of vids of the YTers you mentioned prior to this.

13 posts
838 battles
On 9/3/2018 at 9:15 PM, darkflame88 said:

If you want fun with the addition of teamwork I would suggest finding some people to Div with. If they're good players they should be able to teach you faster than learning the mechanics by yourself. It also depends of what type you're currently playing as some early tier ships are more 'fun' than others. A fully upgraded Clemson for example is a really fun ship to play, while her I found her KM counterpart was not as good for my playstyle. It will inevitably depend on your overall playstyle for each ship class.

On a less relevant note, I was   playing War Thunder for quite some time before giving it up about 6 months back and all I can remember is being slaughtered by spawn campers who would simply hold their position in the spawn and shoot down any bomber unlucky enough to respawn below them.

I love my Clemson, id argue it's the best DD ive played to date. It's my money maker atm lol.

13 posts
838 battles
17 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Don't move first. Go to 1/4 throttle and watch the map for 2 minutes.

Observe the rest of your fleet.

React to your own fleet's movement and in the mean time, if you are lucky, someone may have made a call that more than two or three teammates actually follow.

By that I mean sometimes the negatives are focused in the enemy team and if you are patient, and if your team isn't complete garbage, sometimes you can outwait the enemy and punish them IF you let them make the mistakes you have witnessed on your own teams.

That said, I have sympathy AND empathy for the OP. 

I have such love/hate for this game BUT have you ever played Counter-Strike? MechWarrior? Battlefield series?

This is not unique to World of Warships.

I think it is exacerbated by the long setup time though - I mean it can take what seems to be a long time before you even see the enemy in some games and this gives you and your team a long time to setup in a great position or alternatively, a long time to get it so wrong... and to watch the whole team go and hide behind one cap point and to have seen this lead to being surrounded and a loss time and time again can really suck.

Thanks for the response, its nice to know someone else feels this way lol. And yeah, ive played those games before, you're right its not unique to WOWS but dare i say it's a bit more pronounced. FPS games are a different spectrum. SEA players that i know on FPS games i play are actually very good, even if its a solo thing. Over here, frm what i gather, most SEA players arent good at team work OR individual skill.

With that being said, i thank you for the solid advice. I never considered hanging back first and monitoring. I often try to play the role of the ship im sailing to its roles, often leading to much frustration. Like, being the only DD capping with zero backup or a BB tryna support a cap with no back up etc.

13 posts
838 battles
16 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

You are exactly right, this is what i meant.

[WOWMY]
347 posts
16,863 battles
15 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

I think you misunderstood where I was coming from.

I wasn't commenting on the OP playstyle, I was commenting about the OTHER team experiencing the same thing and how to adapt/allow/take advantage of those situations.

Pssst.. dont bother ..that guy always have problem understanding others message.

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles

Talk about skill base, SEA /ASIA probably not lose EU or NA (we win both of server clash against EU and NA), since this server region is have many many language (which most of them will turn to box anyway) is hard to communicate with random ppl and random match, meanwhile in more competitive mode like Clan battle or tournament, most of member talk same language the team work is quite good

ASIA serveris kite meta, ppl push at begin, when enemy spotted, they shoot, kite back and repeat until one side retreat or clearly win, they will not push,  Also there are alot cruiser here and they skill is good,  it very hard for DD cap back the base one it being captured (too many radar cruiser), BB not dare to push since they will burn pretty quick. 

If you can actually survive in this server, you probably have no problem with other server

btw,someone say RU server is yolo meta, that probably is another level of "hash environment make ppl strong", ASIA vs RU hype:cap_win:

81 posts
2,772 battles
On 9/4/2018 at 12:16 PM, PeterMoe1963 said:

I guess it’s fair to say that you have to play the game in a division with friends and you would have to use TeamSpeak or Twitch for communication if you want teamwork

I would like to play clan/ division but without the verbal comms (no head phones) as I still interact with my wife. I noticed that there are channels (A & B) on each team list, are these verbal channels?

Super Tester
7,534 posts
7,978 battles
42 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

I would like to play clan/ division but without the verbal comms (no head phones) as I still interact with my wife. I noticed that there are channels (A & B) on each team list, are these verbal channels?

Those are divisions. Voice comm in game only works within own division. You can enable it in settings and set a push to talk key, others who have enabled it in your division can listen to you.