You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bengal_Tiger23

Curiouser and curiouser. Dunkirk op.

13 comments in this topic

191 posts
1,732 battles

Been looking at info and vids for 0.7.9 and the Dunkirk Ops.

And something appears to be missing from the allowed ships/nations.

RN. - That's a monty.

French Navy - Also a monty.

Polish Navy - Also a monty ---- And man did they fight bravely.

USN. - Bit of a stretch but ok.

Russian navy. A definite stretch but allows more variety.

Hmm. ------- Canadian Navy. They forgot the Canadians! Surely If they are going to include the US, the Canadians should be in as well. Gee, the HMCS Haida at T7 is sitting right in front of them. OK, so she is a "Tribal" and similar too "Cossack" at T8 which is to be released and allowed, but surely WG are not holding that against her. And yes, I confess, I have the Haida.

OK. If WG are allowing these foreign ships into this op, then I move that we start a campaign for  HMAS Perth to be allowed in Operation Hermes. I know, she is only T6. But at least her decent AP & HE mean's she can dish out some decent damage. Unlike the ------- er horrible amo the RN Light Cruisers are lumbered with.

Sorry, didn't want to Rant. Just that the Commonwealth Line appears to be the "Poor relation" atm. 

Alex

B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23
Spelling and amended to include Polish Navy

247 posts
5,825 battles
On 01/09/2018 at 5:34 PM, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

That's a monty

I have no idea what this expression means.

Unless you are referring to the Montana. In which case I am even more confused.

191 posts
1,732 battles
2 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I have no idea what this expression means.

Unless you are referring to the Montana. In which case I am even more confused.

Hi,

"Monty" Slang word = A definite inclusion. Or. A certainty to win i.e. Lewis Hamilton or Sebastion Vettel to win the F1 world championship.

It is an older slang word that is perhaps falling out of favor nowadays.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

247 posts
5,825 battles
6 minutes ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Hi,

"Monty" Slang word = A definite inclusion. Or. A certainty to win i.e. Lewis Hamilton or Sebastion Vettel to win the F1 world championship.

It is an older slang word that is perhaps falling out of favor nowadays.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Thanks, that makes sense.

Ive never heard the expression before.

And I do agree with you. Any op that includes RN ships need to include commonwealth ships.

82 posts
2,800 battles

Ive heard that it was taken after General Montgomery "Monty", who when he ate breakfast had everything going. a "full monty", all inclusive, always guaranteed.

1,011 posts
7,482 battles
On 9/1/2018 at 7:34 PM, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Been looking at info and vids for 0.7.9 and the Dunkirk Ops.

And something appears to be missing from the allowed ships/nations.

RN. - That's a monty.

French Navy - Also a monty.

Polish Navy - Also a monty ---- And man did they fight bravely.

USN. - Bit of a stretch but ok.

Russian navy. A definite stretch but allows more variety.

Hmm. ------- Canadian Navy. They forgot the Canadians! Surely If they are going to include the US, the Canadians should be in as well. Gee, the HMCS Haida at T7 is sitting right in front of them. OK, so she is a "Tribal" and similar too "Cossack" at T8 which is to be released and allowed, but surely WG are not holding that against her. And yes, I confess, I have the Haida.

OK. If WG are allowing these foreign ships into this op, then I move that we start a campaign for  HMAS Perth to be allowed in Operation Hermes. I know, she is only T6. But at least her decent AP & HE mean's she can dish out some decent damage. Unlike the ------- er horrible amo the RN Light Cruisers are lumbered with.

Sorry, didn't want to Rant. Just that the Commonwealth Line appears to be the "Poor relation" atm. 

Alex

B_T23

You make interesting points.

Basically, Dynamo was run by Royal Navy and French Navy ships. We know who took part, there are old records, but if those are 100% accurate, who knows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_at_Dunkirk

British built Polish destroyer Blyscawica had a part in operation Dynamo, also a few Belgium ships. Considering that the Blys is in WoWS as a T7, she should definitely be in it.

Besides that there is no record of US or Russian ships, Dynamo took place in 1940. The US was neutral until the attack on Pearl Harbour in December 1941. The Soviet Union was rather friendly with Hitler, until attacked in June 1941.

There is no record of Commonwealth countries like Canada, Australia or New Zealand ships taking part. But they would have helped, if they were called.

If historic accuracy means anything, then, no, US or Russian ships should not be in Operation Dynamo.

247 posts
5,825 battles
3 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

You make interesting points.

Basically, Dynamo was run by Royal Navy and French Navy ships. We know who took part, there are old records, but if those are 100% accurate, who knows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_at_Dunkirk

British built Polish destroyer Blyscawica had a part in operation Dynamo, also a few Belgium ships. Considering that the Blys is in WoWS as a T7, she should definitely be in it.

Besides that there is no record of US or Russian ships, Dynamo took place in 1940. The US was neutral until the attack on Pearl Harbour in December 1941. The Soviet Union was rather friendly with Hitler, until attacked in June 1941.

There is no record of Commonwealth countries like Canada, Australia or New Zealand ships taking part. But they would have helped, if they were called.

If historic accuracy means anything, then, no, US or Russian ships should not be in Operation Dynamo.

If historical accuracy means anything, then how many ships that took part in Dyanmo exist in WoWs?

At some point, historical accuracy needs to be pushed aside in order to have fun and play the game.

191 posts
1,732 battles

Hi guy's.

I have just read the in game news announcement for Operation Dunkirk. Commonwealth ships (HMCS Haida) can be used. :Smile_great:

Lol. Now I have to equip her and train a commander! :Smile_facepalm: Maybe I shouldn't have said anything!

Alex B_T23 

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

191 posts
1,732 battles
15 minutes ago, FenrirApalis said:

Man this is gonna hurt for the Luftwaffe 

Just rechecked my Sims. DFAA you beauty. = Luftwaffe "Ouch!"

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

1,011 posts
7,482 battles
22 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

If historical accuracy means anything, then how many ships that took part in Dyanmo exist in WoWs?

At some point, historical accuracy needs to be pushed aside in order to have fun and play the game.

For some players (like myself) some historical accuracy means fun playing the game.

I wouldn't go overboard, but if WG decides to re-create something like Operation Dynamo, ships of nations who were neutral or friendly with Nazi Germany shouldn't be in it.

In my opinion.

247 posts
5,825 battles
1 hour ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

For some players (like myself) some historical accuracy means fun playing the game.

I wouldn't go overboard, but if WG decides to re-create something like Operation Dynamo, ships of nations who were neutral or friendly with Nazi Germany shouldn't be in it.

In my opinion.

I agree with that. When making ops based on historical events. But they also need to start making ops for Germany, Japan, and other axis nations, it’s a bit unfair otherwise.