Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dano07

How to Asashio ?

7 comments in this topic

[NOOB1]
28 posts
3,411 battles

HI

Just looking for some tips or insights into getting the most out of my Asashio 

I am currently doing ok , averaging 40k dmg from the last 100 games but I know it could be better.

Currently I am running Propulsion 2 vs Steering Gears 2 . Cant really decide which is more useful, sometimes I like Propulsion 2 for stop / start manoeuvres   but sometimes I think Steering Gears 2 is better for dodging incoming shells when I get lite or just plain repositioning when I see a target of opportunity ?

As for commander skills ; I run PT ( I think its useful to know if its one or several ships looking at me ) , LS , TAE , CE  then I find Radio Location useful in so far as it tells when to be cautious and areas to avoid ( likely DD scouting for BB s ) , will likely add AR and CE. I dropped Torps Acc because I wanted to use the points else where and I wasn't sure if it made a big difference in the end ? 

The way I play is to scout at the flanks , I will cap if I get close support but often its the easiest way to die like a Noob in early game. I find open water area best to play in as often island hopping BB require quite a bit of positioning . I rarely use guns unless I am cornered thought they do pack a punch.  Best ships to target are ones that don't know I am there, so by the time they get a warning its too late to do much.  I try and shoot from between 8 kms to 12 kms  but occasionally I will pot shot from a longer range.

Thanks

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles

You are missing two most important skills needed for asashio. SE and TA. Asashio has 5.4 km detection, in most cases you are less dependent on RDF. Basically you need to learn to sneak your torps behind the cruiser and DD lines to reach their BBs, and look for opportunities to get close to BBs.

Don't be afraid to smoke up and pew pew enemy ships, your guns do pretty good damage as well.

You can always conest caps, cause you have insanely low detection. But make sure to realize if you are being rushed by enemy DDs, or about to get detected.

Last but not the least, your damage output won't be consistent, since it depends on how many BBs you can get in your enemy team who aren't that good.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
603 posts
6,753 battles

Asashio is a great ship, but it can be difficult to know how best to play it.  The strengths are the torps (obviously), the best in tier range concealment, the maneuverability, and the gun alpha and arcs.  Weaknesses are slow gun reload and traverse, and slow speed.  Given that, I try to mitigate the weaknesses while maximising the strengths.  Expert Marksman is essential, it basically removes the turret traverse weakness.  This means your guns are quite excellent, but with lowish dpm.  I don't take TA, it's basically nerfing your torps for little gain.  If you only launch torp salvos at specific ships, then TA might do better for you.  PT, EM/AR/LS, SE/TAE, CE are the essentials for captain skills. Ensure you use speed flags to help mitigate that weakness.  I use the propulsion module on all my DD's except Khaba/Tashkent - if you are stopping and starting in smoke (and I do, since I gunboat often), this module is much more effective than slightly better rudder shift.  Standard rudder shift is fantastic on Asashio already.

As far as playstyle goes, I play it quite differently to you. I consider the main role of Asashio to spot enemy DD's, contest caps when appropriate, and use the guns whenever the opportunity presents.  If you go off hunting the BB's, you're not using the best aspects of the ship, and you're giving up your teams advantage of having a small highly stealthy DD. As for the torps, I fire them on cooldown into likely paths of BB's.  I then forget about them and get back to my real job.  If there are multiple BB's together or two specific BB's that are likely targets at the same time, I will use TRB.  A torpedo in the launcher is not hitting anything.

None of this means I charge into caps at the start.  I feel the area out, work out where enemy ships are, and I am happy to give the enemy the cap if I think it's not safe to contest.  Usually once a DD gets a cap, he thinks 'mission accomplished!' and goes off and does something else, giving you a nice easy counter cap.

I'm not saying this is the right way to play Asashio, or that other people's tactics are wrong.  This is just what I find is the most effective use of the ship.

145 posts
1,249 battles

Easy. Look at your CV's position. Now Flip the map in your imagination and youll find enemy CV position. Blind torp there because GG 20km stealth torp no one will see. enemy CV dies = Auto win.

Beta Tester
213 posts
4,131 battles
17 minutes ago, Labeat said:

Easy. Look at your CV's position. Now Flip the map in your imagination and youll find enemy CV position. Blind torp there because GG 20km stealth torp no one will see. enemy CV dies = Auto win.

Or just throw torpedo in to direction where enemy planes return, it probably hit something :cap_hmm:

Edited by K135Blitzkrieg

145 posts
1,249 battles
30 minutes ago, K135Blitzkrieg said:

Or just throw torpedo in to direction where enemy planes return, it probably hit something :cap_hmm:

And you have 16 torpedoes to throw tbh. you just need 3 hits.then write in all chat : Boom. The ting goes skraaaaaaaaa!!!

Super Tester
7,512 posts
7,978 battles
13 minutes ago, Labeat said:

And you have 16 torpedoes to throw tbh. you just need 3 hits.then write in all chat : Boom. The ting goes skraaaaaaaaa!!!

How about not ruining a perfectly valid thread where someone is asking for advice?

Sign in to follow this