Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kiwi1960

As a WoWs gamer with Terminal Lung Cancer...

16 comments in this topic

10 posts
116 battles

I just want to thank all the decent humans that play WoWs for helping me take my mind off things.

I'm taking a very powerful cancer pill called TARCEVA which works, sort of, on a genetic level, to kill the cancer. Some of us have this genetic disorder that provides an opening for cancer cells. The Tarceva fixes that and with luck, the cancer goes into remission, and for me, it has... till my body works up a resistance to the Tarceva and then its back to the drawing board. How much time the Tarceva is going to buy me is anyone's guess. 

BUT.... I'm 58 and I've had a fun filled life, often hard but never boring.

My wife and I plan of returning to my birth nation next year (Holland) because they have two world famous cancer hospitals.... yes, two HOSPITALS dedicated to cancer!!!!

My wife came out to New Zealand (from Holland) in 2015 and we got married. When the cancer was diagnosed, I promised her 15 more years of fighting.

BUT... and this is the REAL reason I'm wanting to return to Holland... I want to return my wife to where I found her and leave her no worse off than if she hadn't come out to marry me.

I digress... this Tarceva pill is.... well, the side effects are such that I have no desire to continue with life... fact is, if I stop taking Tarceva then I die... if I keep taking it then I have pain and discomfort...

THAT is where World Of Warships comes in...

Thanks to all those that help me take my mind off things.... As such, I'm registered on this server, the EU server, the NA server and the CIS server.... 

The only clan I'm in is one on the NA server where I mainly play.

BTW, My wife also plays this game... she is a year younger than I am. 

Anyhow, thanks all for being awesome adversaries and team mates. :)

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,828 posts
4,103 battles

Good luck with it.

Cancer is a horrible insidious disease.  Many of us have lost loved ones to it and hopefully one day research can make it disappear like polio and other diseases.  But until then people need to keep up the fight and beat it as best they can.

186 posts
1,709 battles

Hi Kiwi.

As a fellow cancer sufferer, may I say a commiseration to you and wish the very best for you. Mine is prostate cancer and I was diagnosed 3 years ago and was told that if I did not take the Chemo treatment I would not last 2 years. And a shock that was. I now have an implant drug every 3 months that keeps the cancer at bay and from spreading. I don't like it because it actually changes my mood and I become very moody. The cancer actually caused my kidneys to fail 3 months ago and I had to have a Catheter for 8 weeks until they could operate and clear the problem. I lived on pain killers for that 8 weeks. Only now coming back to some sort of normality. 

I would like to add my thanks to the WoWs community as well. This Game and Wot Blitz before it, has stopped me from going completely "around the twist". Being 66 years of age and living alone, it is terrific to be accepted into this community and although I choose to fight alone, I still feel a part of it. (I suppose you could call me a "Lone Tiger"). I only fight PVE now as it has just the right amount of concentration required.

All I can say mate is, Try to keep your chin up. If you can keep a bit of a sense of humor as well, it does help a lot.

Now I no your situation I will think of you often as I know others here will as well.

Welcome aboard mate. Oh, Be careful as well. They say a tiger lurks around this forum.

Cheer's

Alex

Bengal_Tiger23 :Smile_honoring:

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23
Grammar getting worse.

Beta Tester
906 posts
3 hours ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Hi Kiwi.

As a fellow cancer sufferer, may I say a commiseration to you and wish the very best for you. Mine is prostate cancer and I was diagnosed 3 years ago and was told that if I did not take the Chemo treatment I would not last 2 years. And a shock that was. I now have an implant drug every 3 months that keeps the cancer at bay and from spreading. I don't like it because it actually changes my mood and I become very moody. The cancer actually caused my kidneys to fail 3 months ago and I had to have a Catheter for 8 weeks until they could operate and clear the problem. I lived on pain killers for that 8 weeks. Only now coming back to some sort of normality. 

I would like to add my thanks to the WoWs community as well. This Game and Wot Blitz before it, has stopped me from going completely "around the twist". Being 66 years of age and living alone, it is terrific to be accepted into this community and although I choose to fight alone, I still feel a part of it. (I suppose you could call me a "Lone Tiger"). I only fight PVE now as it has just the right amount of concentration required.

All I can say mate is, Try to keep your chin up. If you can keep a bit of a sense of humor as well, it does help a lot.

Now I no your situation I will think of you often as I know others here will as well.

Welcome aboard mate. Oh, Be careful as well. They say a tiger lurks around this forum.

Cheer's

Alex

Bengal_Tiger23 :Smile_honoring:

Thank you Tiger, I wish you all the best of luck as well as the original poster kiwi1960.

I do apologise for possibly being rude the other day in another thread when you were trying to help. There is more to life than this game. 

Have fun and do not lose your mind, hopefully we can run into a few games if your around on SEA server.

Best Regards,

Slam

156 posts
4,055 battles
23 hours ago, Kiwi1960 said:

I just want to thank all the decent humans that play WoWs for helping me take my mind off things.

I'm taking a very powerful cancer pill called TARCEVA which works, sort of, on a genetic level, to kill the cancer. Some of us have this genetic disorder that provides an opening for cancer cells. The Tarceva fixes that and with luck, the cancer goes into remission, and for me, it has... till my body works up a resistance to the Tarceva and then its back to the drawing board. How much time the Tarceva is going to buy me is anyone's guess. 

BUT.... I'm 58 and I've had a fun filled life, often hard but never boring.

My wife and I plan of returning to my birth nation next year (Holland) because they have two world famous cancer hospitals.... yes, two HOSPITALS dedicated to cancer!!!!

My wife came out to New Zealand (from Holland) in 2015 and we got married. When the cancer was diagnosed, I promised her 15 more years of fighting.

BUT... and this is the REAL reason I'm wanting to return to Holland... I want to return my wife to where I found her and leave her no worse off than if she hadn't come out to marry me.

I digress... this Tarceva pill is.... well, the side effects are such that I have no desire to continue with life... fact is, if I stop taking Tarceva then I die... if I keep taking it then I have pain and discomfort...

THAT is where World Of Warships comes in...

Thanks to all those that help me take my mind off things.... As such, I'm registered on this server, the EU server, the NA server and the CIS server.... 

The only clan I'm in is one on the NA server where I mainly play.

BTW, My wife also plays this game... she is a year younger than I am. 

Anyhow, thanks all for being awesome adversaries and team mates. :)

All the best sir with your treatment. Now that you have spotted the cancer, keep your guns hot on him! 

81 posts
2,763 battles
9 hours ago, Shifty_Panzer said:

Good luck, i hope you the best. :Smile_honoring: Btw you are one of those 70's kids right?

just taking a quick stab though always prepared to be corrected, but I think his name may give it away "kiwi1960"  shifty?

186 posts
1,709 battles
On 8/30/2018 at 12:02 AM, SlamUez said:

I do apologise for possibly being rude the other day in another thread when you were trying to help. There is more to life than this game. 

Not a problem at all.

Take care,

Alex

10 posts
116 battles
16 hours ago, Shifty_Panzer said:

Good luck, i hope you the best. :Smile_honoring: Btw you are one of those 70's kids right?

60's.... as my name suggests, I was in the year of our Lord, 1960. :)

10 posts
116 battles
6 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

just taking a quick stab though always prepared to be corrected, but I think his name may give it away "kiwi1960"  shifty?

Yup, there is no fooling you. I'll keep you on as my lookout, now, up into the cows nest with you, mister. :)

BTW, the Otago was a fine ship, she will be missed. It was sad that near her end, she was always breaking down. She knew her life was nearly over. :(

Edited by Kiwi1960

243 posts
345 battles
10 hours ago, Kiwi1960 said:

60's.... as my name suggests, I was in the year of our Lord, 1960. :)

I guess you are 15 years old in 1975, and im 15 years old in 2018. 

Edit : i know you were born in 1960

Edited by Shifty_Panzer
Sorry for my bad grammar

81 posts
2,763 battles
On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 5:17 PM, Kiwi1960 said:

Yup, there is no fooling you. I'll keep you on as my lookout, now, up into the cows nest with you, mister. :)

BTW, the Otago was a fine ship, she will be missed. It was sad that near her end, she was always breaking down. She knew her life was nearly over. :(

roger that ... umm might need instructions to find that place ... mooo!:Smile_teethhappy:

Was onboard for her final exercise in Sydney 83 and then her pay off in Dunedin. She was behaving well except when the stokers goofed and smoked out garden island!! 

In a speed trial with the Aussies I was told the old girl made 32-33 knots, very impressive at her age. Unfortunately I was on deck when the Adelaide wound up and well *Whoosh*.... she was not doing her spec'd 29 knots.:Smile_hiding::Smile_sad:

p.s. Only a km to kings cross... good times.

Sign in to follow this