You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shifty_Panzer

Hurray, CV Rework!

83 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
1,373 posts
8,760 battles

I like the new CV concept. It needs more work and balancing obviously, but the core idea's seem good.

Upsides

• Less CV vs CV, which means less issues due to skill gap, CV becomes just another ship (and has less pressure on the player to be better than the opponent CV)
  • No more blanket spotting. While still capable, and will occasionally be expected to do so in the same way a DD does, no longer a game breaker for ships which rely on concealment.
  • Has potential to be anti camper counter, may be able to deal with some of those CLs which hide behind island, or at least unsettle them and force them away (yes, many of them can eat planes, but there is still potential)
  • Focus's more on regular, consistent damage rather than huge alpha strikes... which can be dodged by skilled players and you've just wasted 5 minutes.

Downsides/Questions raised

• Less control over actual ship? remains to be seen.
  • 'Death' of ships like Saipan, which focus on AS (probably considered an upside to most people)
  • Will be interesting to see how the unique premium ships get new identities, may be Saipan gets more "summon fighter" options?
  • Will be interesting to see the different 'identities' of different nations, as no. of squads and squad sizes where previously primary identity.
  • Will be interested to see how the fighter mechanic works and how effective it is as bomber defense
  • How will the AA Achievements work now?
  • Will CVs still be effective in ops? DoTs don't work as well on ships in ops which die quickly from ally fire, on the other hand, multiple rapid attacks may increase damage.
  • Speaking of Ops, enemy planes have always been a key part of ops. How will these changes affect ops?
  • RIP torpedo cross drop

So yeah, lots of questions, some HUGE upsides )which I believe will make CV more playable, and act more like any other ship, rather than lynchpin of the team), and a few minor downsides.

I will miss the current CV playstyle in ops, but it will be worth it to actually play in Randoms again without being completely outmatched by enemy CV.... well, I'll probably be outmatched, but it won't matter as much as there will be 11 other players to pick up the slack, and probably other ships of other classes which I CAN outmatch.

• Cool 2

[TF44]
232 posts
5,187 battles

I am very curious how having Fighter Squads reload will go.

Lets face it, the Planes side of things is comparable to a DD. Except the reload for a new Squadron is less than the torp reload length and gives you more torps/bombs/rockets.

However, without a finite number of Planes, then the only way to kill a CV is to find it and sink it. Otherwise, it's like an immortal DD that just resurects itself at a spawn point. This is NOT a good thing.

Either we have Zombie CV or a typical player will be de-planed half way through the game and whinging over chat.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,228 posts
10,661 battles

Not sure where the DD comparison is coming from. Torpedo Destroyers generally rely on attacking while undetected, which is an advantage the CV plane squadron will never have.

[HKACC]
311 posts
3,570 battles
23 hours ago, Unraveler said:

Not sure where the DD comparison is coming from. Torpedo Destroyers generally rely on attacking while undetected, which is an advantage the CV plane squadron will never have.

Have you play Soviet DD ? ... short torpedo range that risking your neck if try to kill with it ? ... pea shooter cannon with high burning chance ? ... the prototype surely mirror of Soviet's DD with torpedo bomber, dive & rockets bomber. The different are, they just fly with a spawner mothership somewhere.

[151ST]
1,254 posts
6,025 battles

I'm actually fairly positive with the new system, however it still has a long way to go...

What's going to stop you hunting the enemy CV relentlessly?

Controlling one group; won't that get very repetitive?

How will the fighter ability actually mean anything, as you'll be concentrating on killing ships?

[LBAS]
1,361 posts
6,096 battles

according from zoup , WG don't actually want to reveal it yet but someone break NDA and leak it, force WG hand to show it.