You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
User_1145141919810

The mechanism of 1st XP winner don't lose star should be re-evaluated

19 comments in this topic

112 posts
2,960 battles

I think that it is OK that the top person on the losing side does not lose a star, but would change the rewards for the winning team to drive a little bit more "trying to win" spirit.

The top 2 on the winning side get 2 stars, the middle 3 get 1 star and the bottom 2 don't get any stars. 

I saw many bots last night, and players who just hid in a corner. It looks clear that they are trying to gain stars by being carried, especially in the lower tiers where you have plenty of ratchets to stop you losing ranks. removing this ability will take away the incentive of gaining steel for doing nothing.

If you are bottom two on the winning side then you should not get any reward, you were carried by the better players.

This would not change the overall star economy where there is a slow accumulation.

1,386 posts
8,224 battles

1. It was introduced as a community requested feature

2. Save-Star system did in fact reduce the difficulty of ranked, making the rank distribution more reasonable. In a way, "working as intended"

3. Saved stars is very likely pumping more stars into the "pool" than all other methods combined. As every player who quit ranked/reached R1 takes a lot of stars away from the pool, it is important that the overall pool gets constant supply.

Now if you talk about the EXP distribution, about how your seemingly detrimental teammates kept his star while you, as a "PFTO player", got lower XP, I may agree with you. In fact I have a few ideas myself. IMO a clan war styled score system or make every rank irrevocable may work better than the current system. But removing save star without presenting a better option? Well, there are some people who held the belief that humans lived a better life during the stone age.

Edited by HMS_Swiftsure_08

145 posts
1,288 battles

Then how about this.. if youre a dd, and have 3+ cap ribbons and 50k spotting damage you wont lose star. if cruiser then 100k+ Damage + hurt least dd to avoid losing star. And if BB then do 150k+ dmg to not lose star. Doing this is as same as being top in losing team anyway. 

If theres no Mechanic on saving star then almost No one will be able to get to rank 5+ unless youre too lucky to always fall on winning team, and losers will keep falling, Now calculate that fall, youll see how it is Making the Matchmaking to stop respond soon and you (the winner) will never reach to rank 1 anyway. So forget it.

Edited by Labeat

245 posts
5,809 battles
16 minutes ago, Labeat said:

Then how about this.. if youre a dd, and have 3+ cap ribbons and 50k spotting damage you wont lose star. if cruiser then 100k+ Damage + hurt least dd to avoid losing star. And if BB then do 150k+ dmg to not lose star. Doing this is as same as being top in losing team anyway. 

If theres no Mechanic on saving star then almost No one will be able to get to rank 5+ unless youre too lucky to always fall on winning team, and losers will keep falling, Now calculate that fall, youll see how it is Making the Matchmaking to stop respond soon and you (the winner) will never reach to rank 1 anyway. So forget it.

Ships must perform specific requirements in order to keep stars, rather than just highest base xp? Hmmm, interesting concept.

Not certain how well it would work, as it may force players into a specific play style, or make them even more selfish than they are now...

But it does allow for different ship types to excel in their own way, rather than being damage focused. Which, while important, is not the be all and end all, especially if you fail to actually SINK ships while doing that damage.

145 posts
1,288 battles
4 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Ships must perform specific requirements in order to keep stars, rather than just highest base xp? Hmmm, interesting concept.

Not certain how well it would work, as it may force players into a specific play style, or make them even more selfish than they are now...

But it does allow for different ship types to excel in their own way, rather than being damage focused. Which, while important, is not the be all and end all, especially if you fail to actually SINK ships while doing that damage.

I know its good but its not happening. Talk about balance, everyone will excel so hard and get to Rank 1 in very few days.

455 posts
8,038 battles

Saving star on loss just promotes damage farming ships like yamato and especially conqueror. who can snipe whole game without significant impact and still get more xp than the dd doing all the spotting and capping or the radar cruisers just holding the objective.
It would be better if instead of top loser keeping star, the top winner gets 2 instead. This way the "star pool" remains the same as current system but instead of trying to farm top xp when you start losing, people will actually want to try to win.

[COAT]
1,182 posts
10,137 battles

I wanna explain why I come up with this:

Currenty I'm R12(not too bad at least,and went through a certain number of battles).

From my observation,this mechanism encourages selfish playing style:Some BB just camp behind,farm damage and refuse to assist the team.

I'm a team-oriented player(you can see from my statistics,good win rate but poor average damage and XP.Also I did well in clan battles),and I suffered from those selfish players a lot.I do my best to win and not afraid of sacrificing myself.I'll ram enemy ships as long as it provides our team with tartical advantages.But due to the selfishness of other players,I lose with poor battle results.On the 1st day I keep losing.Then I switch myself to selfish player(DM with full range build,no radar).I'm not sure it do good to win rate(as in later games teammates are much better players),but it do increased my XP and save stars for me.

Honestly speaking I'm not sure whether it's right or wrong to set such rule,but I hate selfish players.

Beta Tester
908 posts
20 hours ago, User_1145141919810 said:

It encourages passive gaming and unsportsmanship

You didnt learn from last season? 

This season is worse, cause everyone knows the trick. I saw a 7 vs 7 BB game lul. 

112 posts
2,960 battles

I got up to rank 13 last night and the change from T8 to TX is pretty large as far as teamwork goes. There seemed to be a relatively reasonable plan for each game. A lot more focus fire and reasonable target selection.

I played the Shima and very often got top xp from a combo of caps and the high damage in a short time potential. I didn't feel like i was being too unfairly punished as a DD. I got top xp maybe 4 times on the losing side while in T8 which made it a little easier to swallow.

As an aside i played against a guy in a groz last night and he seemed to not have much idea at all. My surprise was his 61% WR and a kill ratio of 3.6 after 4.4k battles. Then I saw he had nearly one quarter of his games in T2 DD with an 84% WR and a kill ration of nearly 7. Possibly the ultimate seal clubber I have come across. His TX ships were all 40% or less WR.......

455 posts
8,038 battles
2 hours ago, Puggsley said:

I played the Shima and very often got top xp from a combo of caps and the high damage in a short time potential. I didn't feel like i was being too unfairly punished as a DD. I got top xp maybe 4 times on the losing side while in T8 which made it a little easier to swallow.

below r10, anything works. I got to r10 by playing grozovoi and going full gunboat without a care because players at that bracket struggle to aim or position correctly. But right now at r10-6 bracket, I wouldn't dare touch a dd

Beta Tester
908 posts
1 hour ago, Puggsley said:

I've been told that :), from you guy's comments it seems the risk of getting not top tier on a loss is too high.

I recall from the maths, its a 7% margin if you play for top loser on a 50/50 win lose ratio.

If you play DD and can win more that 58% of games you are doing better. But otherwise the top loser way is the only way to progress. 

This pretty much sums up ranked. 

344 posts
7,061 battles
50 minutes ago, SlamUez said:

I recall from the maths, its a 7% margin if you play for top loser on a 50/50 win lose ratio.

If you play DD and can win more that 58% of games you are doing better. But otherwise the top loser way is the only way to progress. 

This pretty much sums up ranked. 

That right there is a VERY broken system!

Beta Tester
908 posts
6 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

Great! I've been itching to play my Conqueror :fish_cute_2:

I was just in a clutching game (10+ bracket).

Top loser, 1217 points, next 1209, next 1190, next 1188, 5th 1144.

Everyone tried their guts out, only a BB marginally got top loser. It was all within 20-60 points.

This is ranked season for you, even the best of players will have to endure this. This is brutal grind.

1,011 posts
7,459 battles
On 8/28/2018 at 3:23 PM, User_1145141919810 said:

It encourages passive gaming and unsportsmanship

Both are encountered in all game modes, star or now star.

Beta Tester
605 posts
6,764 battles

Before they had the star saving system, the extra stars were introduced by getting a bonus star on rank up.  This was a much better system because it slowed your drop if you had a bad run, and was very effective at reducing salt.  You could have a 33% win rate and not drop a rank, but you needed a run of wins to get into the next rank.  They still do this at the low ranks.

What it meant though is that everyone was trying to win, because you either won or got nothing.  A way better system.

Better yet would be to remove the star system entirely, and replace it with an MMR system similar to CB's.  They could also do a system where so long as you played a minimum number of battles (say 100-150) then they would just rank everyone based on their win rate, top x% get rank 1, next x% get rank 2, etc.

In the end though, it doesn't matter how much you outplay your team, if you lose, you should get nothing.  Anything else will promote selfish play, and completely ruin the whole point of ranked, which is to try and win as many games as possible.  Games where everyone is trying to win are so much more fun than games where everyone has in the back of their mind that they should be maximising xp at all times.