You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Bengal_Tiger23

Cleveland or Edinburgh for Cherry Blossom or both?

11 comments in this topic

232 posts
1,876 battles

Hi Guys.

I have a choice of activating the above ships for Operation "Cherry Blossom" when it next comes around. I am wondering which I should perhaps give preference to. 

Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

B_T23 

[LNA]
1,697 posts
10,550 battles

I wouldnt pick cleveland unless you can coordinate with a division ( friends , clans ) simply because of its slow shell velocity and the map is fairly large. Better off picking the Baltimore over it.

Edin is much better as you can smoke up and farm. But it is heavily reliant on teammates for AA and its gigantic citadel can hinder you in the final part of the task , where there is a lot of brawling to do and AP do jack against ground targets.

My advice : pick a heavy cruiser is better for solo.

354 posts
9,048 battles

I ground both of them from go to whoa last time, 173k xp each (and around 500k fxp too, with Charles Martel added in). I don't think there's a really bad ship for this op, which makes it extra fun - no problems with people bringing dds and cvs, etc.

Cleveland was very popular last time with great aa and high dpm - if you save a dfaa you can make an early break towards the enemy spawn points and beat your teammates to get some really high damage. Edinburgh was good too; I spec'd it for radar rather than smoke and tried to concentrate on enemy cruisers when possible.  Its super heal often proved very timely during the final charge.

I'm looking forward to CB coming round again - I'll be grinding Baltimore and Chapeyev next time and hoping for another 200-300k fxp - I just hope they don't decide to nerf it like they did with Narai.

Super Tester
7,768 posts
8,043 battles

The decision can be made easily.

Question: Do you want to finish a grind?

If yes, which ship you didn't like to play in randoms?

Question: Do you want to farm credits, free exp and captain exp?

If yes, then take the ship you are most comfortable at.

Personally, I have a Kutuzov, so id probably spam it all day to farm FXP. I have tried Baltimore, Chapayev, Cleveland as well, all worked really well. It depends on how well you can shoot and time your salvos between your teammates. Operations is all about outscoring your own teammates, not assisting them to farm :P

232 posts
1,876 battles

Thank you all, for your input. I have decided on both ships. So, I have diverted "in game" resources and activated/fully equipped them both. They now only require me Training in them and at least 10 point Captains. I did have the resources set aside for other things, but I don't want to get caught with no ships to use in CB.

Cleveland came to me thru the "Freedom containers" and is the only "Tech Tree" USN cruiser that I have. Edinburgh became available because I had unlocked to Fiji for "Hermes".

A lol moment. I had forgotten that WG had expanded the the ship criteria for CB. I have the "Kid" which I picked up a few weeks ago. But, I am no DD player by any stretch of the imagination. :Smile_facepalm:

Many Thanks Again.:Smile_Default: 

Alex

B_T23

15 posts
4,584 battles

My personal favourite for this was Baltimore but all of the available T8 Cruiser options are viable in different ways. Put the speed flag on the Balti so you can get in range of the Atago then citadel city because it doesn't move until it's hit with first shell.  If you're lucky you'll disable it meaning it's dead before it goes stealth.

980 posts
12,756 battles
On 27/08/2018 at 10:34 PM, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

Hi Guys.

I have a choice of activating the above ships for Operation "Cherry Blossom" when it next comes around. I am wondering which I should perhaps give preference to. 

Would you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

B_T23 

Definitely radar Edinburgh. 

Now you can eat a few torpedoes and still survive. 

232 posts
1,876 battles

Hmmm. Baltimore. I think you guys are setting me a project for the next couple of months. Lol. "Unlock the USN Heavy cruiser line". It is a bit of a shame though that Alabama & Massachusetts (Both of which I have) can't be used in CB.

5 hours ago, LordTyphoon said:

Definitely radar Edinburgh. 

Bingo! Was hoping someone would confirm this. Thank you.

Alex

B_T23

232 posts
1,876 battles

Oh. There was another point.

It seemed to me that it was strange that WG did not release a Premium T8 USN Heavy or light cruiser or both, for this Operation in the Premium shop. Considering there are many who enjoy these OP's very much, I'm sure some, me included, would be happy to purchase such a ship(s). Perhaps with some sort of "Sweetener". Maybe, 10 point Capt(s) and a discount as they normally do.

Anyway just a thought. :Smile_Default:

Alex

B_T23