You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LordTyphoon

Ship Anatomy Questions

6 comments in this topic

980 posts
12,617 battles

Hey guys

There's always something I've wondered for a while, and that is how (hypothetically, of course) the Friedrich Der Grosse and Grosser Kurfurst launch, recover, and store their seaplanes, based on the in-game model?

Just looking at my Grosser Kurfurst here, in the first highlighted area (left) I see the aircraft launch rails between Caesar and Dora turret for both sides of the ship. are seaplanes supposed to be mounted on top of those rails to be launched when needed?

In the second highlighted area, I see a small crane. It makes sense that this crane will be used to lift cranes on to position on the catapult, but it doesn't look very strong. Can someone confirm if this is meant to be the aircraft crane?

Also, where are the aircraft hangars?

In the third highlighted area (right), is that long thing a crane of planes or a crane of the tenders/lifeboats?

5b791d2111aa5_howlaunchplane.thumb.jpg.091eefb6a9a477fef20c1cc43dbe3981.jpg

50 posts
5,567 battles

I'd guess the larger crane mid-ships is for dealing with all the life boats ranged around it.

If the track between C and D certainly is for aircraft launching, given the short launch I'd guess the plaens are very light weight, in which case the cranes in your centre frame may be adequate (they may also use higher grade metallurgy to provide the strength, rather than simple mass?).

I can't see from your pic, but I'd guess the hangers may be one each side, the angled superstructure just between your first and second frame? An aircraft could be pushed out from there, up the ramp onto the track; and this the small crane is simply used for aircraft recovery?

330 posts
4,094 battles

@LordTyphoon The hangar are located below the third turret. Did you see a big door? The crane are located beside it. The smaller crane will rotate and lift the seaplane while landing on the sea. So, how about the bigger crane? The bigger crane will hoist those lifeboats onto the sea. Obviously, the lifeboats are heavier than the plane itself.

5b792bf2e60d1_WorldOfWarships2018-08-1915-25-30-772.jpg.aa2d878398682e305a1cb8ba46e410f9.jpg

[LNA]
1,666 posts
10,492 battles
1 hour ago, LordTyphoon said:

Hey guys

There's always something I've wondered for a while, and that is how (hypothetically, of course) the Friedrich Der Grosse and Grosser Kurfurst launch, recover, and store their seaplanes, based on the in-game model?

Just looking at my Grosser Kurfurst here, in the first highlighted area (left) I see the aircraft launch rails between Caesar and Dora turret for both sides of the ship. are seaplanes supposed to be mounted on top of those rails to be launched when needed?

In the second highlighted area, I see a small crane. It makes sense that this crane will be used to lift cranes on to position on the catapult, but it doesn't look very strong. Can someone confirm if this is meant to be the aircraft crane?

Also, where are the aircraft hangars?

In the third highlighted area (right), is that long thing a crane of planes or a crane of the tenders/lifeboats?

5b791d2111aa5_howlaunchplane.thumb.jpg.091eefb6a9a477fef20c1cc43dbe3981.jpg

The first crane looks like a maintainence crane. Which was likely used to service the turrets and ferry ammos to the barbette. 
The 2nd smaller looks like a resupply crane. I doubt this crane can lift up a plane high enough , and there is no place for it to stick to.
The third might be the crane for planes and life boats.

1,105 posts

DONT BE FOOLED, the german actually have the VTOL technology  back then. they dont need catapult launcher. the catapult launcher is just accessories to fool allies. did you know why they dont complete the graf zeppelin and scrap it? its already have jet fighter that can win air fight easily..... too bad hitler believe it will be too easy to win the war, and give no challenge. in the end, hitler running away with his VTOL jet fighter from berlin to mars.

for anyone who want to see how the heck they launch the catapult plane with SMALL CRANE

Alpha Tester
1,638 posts
7,230 battles

^^^^^

When the important questions get asked in this forum, there is only man who can arrive and settle all doubt.