archirnobenz

I'm terribly struggling with the game

10 comments in this topic

4 posts
1,240 battles

I'm incredibly rusty and i just can't to get things right. I know each ship has their own type of playstyle but i just can't do things right. 
I've got tier 6 previously but i stopped for 2 years not playing the game due to my studies. Now that ive returned, i seem to can't contribute as much as i did to the team like last time. 

As a Gnevny Player, i suck but i figured out that it is a gunboating ship since it's torp r damn shit. But my gunboating damage goes up to 10000 only. that's just bad.... 
Nicholas player, i can still get things right up to 30000 dmg with torps and gunboating. i use ninja torp strats and flanking. it sure works perfectly fine. but still 30000 in tier 5. I should be getting 40000 at least... 

As a cruiser, i can get damage up to 30000. and no more further. i decided to play as a team. it works but 30000 is nothing... 

As a battleship, i figured out that bbs are more to keep distance and play far shooting cuz of dds. so i decided to stay back as a team and support from far. it seems to work. im hitting my shots but damage is no more than 30000.... 
but i still have no idea how to counter cvs then torp bomb two different sides forcing me to take either torps side. I can't seem to think of a way to avoid this torp bomb strat... 

As a Aircraft Carrier, i'm best at it last time. i multitask like a boss. but yet if it's my best i should be getting 50000 dmg. manual or auto. 50000 is the minimum dmg as a cv... but for some reason, i dont know how to get guaranteed hits on enemy. most of the time only like 1-3 torp hits.... i should be gettin 4-5... sigh.... 

I dont know why i enjoyed this game so much 2 years ago. now it just seems like it's no more fun. I need help please.  

Edited by archirnobenz

1,482 posts

Might have to practice in lower tiers or co op matches for a while, to work out the rust, because when you reach 100 (I think) games, you are no longer protected from us seal clubbers when we play low tier....

There's also been changes to the game since 2 years ago, armour, ships, ballistics, carriers.. Everything, as well as everyone is also more experienced..

Might pay you to change camera when you die, & watch other players & pick up any pointers, & maybe some youtube videos of the ships you have, there's also a great series being put out by WarGaming about the mechanics of the game (how armour works, shells, fire etc), & you can always ask fellow captains. .

Hang in there..

Ordrazz

4 posts
1,240 battles

Thanks Ordrazz. I asked some of my friends and figured i was playing something wrong. i didn't know diff dds have different purposes. like russian dds are gunboaters. i always went for torp plays... now i understand. also i took a look at those wargaming vids. now i finally know when to use HE and AP shells. AP for broad, HE for superstructures. I also took a look at ships i should be gettin, best ones not shit ones. 

And yeah, the changes were big. I have to adapt to it. i think i got the hang of it just a bit recently. 

Seriously tho, thanks for the support. 

1 post
3 battles
On 8/17/2018 at 2:57 PM, Ordrazz said:

Might have to practice in lower tiers or co op matches for a while, to work out the rust, because when you reach 100 (I think) games, you are no longer protected from us seal clubbers when we play low tier....

There's also been changes to the game since 2 years ago, armour, ships, ballistics, carriers.. Everything, as well as everyone is also more experienced..

Might pay you to change camera when you die, & watch other players & pick up any pointers, & maybe some youtube videos of the ships you have, there's also a great series being put out by WarGaming about the mechanics of the game (how armour works, shells, fire etc), & you can always ask fellow captains. .

Hang in there..

Ordrazz

Well said .. 

[12345]
36 posts
8,480 battles

Hi Archerinobenz, I know what it's like to feel that the game is not what it used to be like. As these guys have mentioned it might be better to try the lower tiers first.  But, even with the upper tiers, if you persist, you will soon adapt. If you want, join up with me and we can battle together for a while.  Over the last 12 months I've found that my ship is sunk more often and a few of the dynamics of some of my ships have changed with each upgrade.  You have to get used to all these changes, since announcement changes only appear to come via these forums, and I don't usually frequent them.  All the best. :cap_viking: Press on.  

1,001 posts
7,422 battles
On 8/17/2018 at 9:27 PM, Ordrazz said:

Might have to practice in lower tiers or co op matches for a while,

If I drove the website correctly, his highest ship is one T6, Gnevny. So really he has no alternative to playing low tier.

Not sure that "play coop" is the best advice.

If he wants to play coop, that’s fine. But if his aim is be good at Random, playing coop helps little. You can lean aiming and general handling of a ship in coop, but co-op is a race for kills. Bots and human players behave very much differently. A very good coop player is likely to get killed in the first minutes of a Random match, if he uses manoevres that work perfectly in coop.

To get good in coop, play coop.

To learn handling of a new ship, play coop.

To get good at random, play random.

1,001 posts
7,422 battles
On 8/17/2018 at 7:50 PM, archirnobenz said:

As a Aircraft Carrier, i'm best at it last time. i multitask like a boss. but yet if it's my best i should be getting 50000 dmg. manual or auto. 50000 is the minimum dmg as a cv... but for some reason, i dont know how to get guaranteed hits on enemy. most of the time only like 1-3 torp hits.... i should be gettin 4-5... sigh.... 

There has been a fair bit of re-balancing and a lot of players kept practising and stayed up-to-date when you were away.

If you try hit me with 4 or 5 torps from your T4 or T5 carrier, good luck! Say I play one of my favourite ships, Bayern. Not the fastest ship, but she turns well and has BFT and AFT. At the start of the match, I look if there is a CV. If yes, what CV? Then I will look where his planes appear, where are my teammates and who has good or bad AA?

Depending on what I see, I will select my flank and decide what ships I stay close to. If I see a cluster of squads approach, I will manoeuvre closer to ships with good AA.

If a single squad does an auto drop, I will typically evade all torps and shoot down one or two planes. Skilful manual drop, maybe eat one. Two squads, well executed manual V-drop, maybe eat 2 or 3.

You would hit me with 4 or 5 torps in a single drop when I’m out of the room, making a cup of tea, and Bayern is on Auto-pilot. Would still shoot down a plane or two.

Considering that I will be near other ships with good AA, if you keep pushing the attack me, you may run out planes before you sink me.

If a CV wants to sink a particular ship, generally, he can. But the cost may be high. Too high to make sense in a winning-the-match context.

I’m not a good carrier player (or a good player, fullstop ) so I cannot tell you how to improve. Plus the CV rework will change things anyway.

4 posts
1,240 battles

Thanks guys. so far i've been improving. i get 25000-40000 damage average match for a tier 3-5. i sometimes get 60000-90000 damage with all kinds of ships. I also gain quite a lot of badges lately. 

Still i need to improve more for tier 6 strafing planes and manual drops. i was a beta tester, so i had a feel of manual drop b4 since it was available in tier 4 cv last time. anyways, there is no doubt that feelin is gone so yeah, any tips guys?

I also recently met a Bogue player. he had tier 5 aa planes +1 extra due to skills. and his planes vs mine tier 5, no additional. but i should have at least kill one plane but no, he killed all of mine without taking a scratch and it was within 15seconds. it was so fast. he even took out for torp bombers within 10seconds.

I can only think of special aa signals, upgrades, special commander, experience commander or something. 
There was no ships around it and no catapults. It was only a 1v1. 

Why did i even approach a 1v1 in the first place, well i alt +tab after setting a course for my fighter and forgot about it and return only to see his aa planes demolish me.

So any ideas guys??? 

Also i suck at kirov, omaha and konigsberg, i only get 30000 per match. lol

Just tell me, the rework is gettin rid of fighters anyways but im curious. 

Edited by archirnobenz

Super Tester
7,527 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, archirnobenz said:

also recently met a Bogue player. he had tier 5 aa planes +1 extra due to skills. and his planes vs mine tier 5, no additional. but i should have at least kill one plane but no, he killed all of mine without taking a scratch and it was within 15seconds. it was so fast. he even took out for torp bombers within 10seconds.

Well, I just grinded Bogue last night, and I had AS, so one more fighter. Also took AA flag and fighter HP module. My fighters were fully upgraded too.

What you described is most usual scenario in head on fight, cause AA is designed in a stupid way. It's based on RNG. Let's say he already started with one more plane, and then due to RNG, 2 of your planes die first. You put less and less damage in the area, so your fighters get wiped out sooner or later. He may or may not lose one or two.

To even this out, lure his fighters in your allied AA. Although whoever has AS, won't fall for that. Basically you would be sacrificing your fighters to get your strike packages in 

Most important lesson here though, do not alt tab in a match if you can help it, and even if you do, never admit it in places like forum as that can be used by others to complain against you, just saying.

As for next question, I love Omaha and Konigsberg, but kirov was meh for me. Floaty shells with long reload. Just keep spamming on ships at near max range, but stay in a kiting position. Use land covers when ever you can. Omaha and Konigsberg has massive range. Should be easy to do.

For Konigsberg especially, try to use AP whenever anything is broadside to you, especially cruisers. Omaha and kirov can utilize AP too, but in sub 10 km.

You avoid bb focus at any cost. These ships are all floating citadels.

4 posts
1,240 battles

Floating citadels. Yeah. Been thru the hard way. Even got devastating strike by a bayern once. 

Ok thanks. Island, noted. 

Oh yeah, sry bout alt tab. Haha. Anyways, so my aa planes literally suffered from RNG..... and that he was pure lucky to not even lose one. Wow, im glad they are adding cv rework, submarines and new bbs, cas. 
image.thumb.png.6a77945cf5edab2149123024147d8f88.png
EDIT: Anyways, i finally got 100000 after so long. ah feels good. BUT IT WAS A DEFEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So if it was a victory, approximately how much would i earned? i have normal economics flags equipped. 

Edited by archirnobenz
picture