You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

How to get better in randoms

23 comments in this topic

309 posts
4,060 battles

My career in world of warships has been quite long. But there is one thing that is hard for me to master. And that is random battle. My win rate in this mode are dropping significantly. But as you said win rate is quite unnecessary. In this battle, I always in confusion. If I charge forward, i would die quickly. And if I sitting on the back I didn't contribute much to the team. I also has aiming difficulties which makes it harder. I watch some you tube videos and there are so many tactics to learn. But even so practicing it are quite hard. I don't understand how some players are lucky and got so many broadside target. How did you carry your team and how did you get better RNG? whenever i pray to him, he said 'no'.

218 posts
11,488 battles

a dd or ca has better chance of carrying. BB's rarely carry as they *have* to stay back because focus fire is too prevalent and there is no benefit going forward

980 posts
12,617 battles
20 minutes ago, Lowyat said:

a dd or ca has better chance of carrying. BB's rarely carry as they *have* to stay back because focus fire is too prevalent and there is no benefit going forward

Lol. No. 

455 posts
8,038 battles
1 hour ago, Lowyat said:

:cap_cool:

455 posts
8,038 battles
1 hour ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

I don't understand how some players are lucky and got so many broadside target. How did you carry your team and how did you get better RNG? whenever i pray to him, he said 'no'.

Nope, luck does not favor anyone in particular. Everyone gets good luck and bad luck equally. If you watched a unicum player stream and get a lot of good targets, its because he can read the battlefield and position to exploit mistakes.
Maybe try this as an experiment: Watch a unicum player streaming with volume turned off so you can't know what he's thinking/planning. And keep predicting what he will do and see what he ends up doing. And then think why he took his actions and compare it to your own prediction. This could improve your decision making and prioritisation. I myself did this to learn DM, and I watched a really good player who doesnt speak english, forcing me to think about his decision making

114 posts
2,630 battles

You said you have aiming problems. I think dont play slow firing ships i.e BBs. Try CLs, their quick rof is more forgiving to aiming errors. Or alternatively you could try DDs. DDs also have high rof guns and when they engage, often from mid close range so easier to connect. Then after you improve your aiming then you can enjoy playing BB.

455 posts
8,038 battles
29 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

What is unicum players really?

Someone with very good stats; basically a really good player. Most youtube videos are EU/NA ccs (different meta) and they usually upload only the exceptional games. Try to find an asian streamer who is good at the class you want to learn.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles
4 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

What is unicum players really?

If you are focusing on a specific ship, may be you could ask for replays from players. But it's really time consuming.

309 posts
4,060 battles
17 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

If you are focusing on a specific ship, may be you could ask for replays from players. But it's really time consuming.

Replays? how do i get it? can you show me the guide? and why is it really time consuming.

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles
1 hour ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Replays? how do i get it? can you show me the guide? and why is it really time consuming.

This is how you enable your replays. And if you want replays from some of us, you could ask for it. Also, you could go to https://replayswows.com/ and some similar sites. You find the ships you are interested in, download the replays for your current wows version and watch them (just open the file with wows.exe). You can upload your replays there too.

Time consuming cause you have to go through the game plays while you could play the game for yourself. Lets be honest, WoWS isn't great for spectating. It's pretty boring to watch ships go somewhere, then shoot slowly......

Edited by icy_phoenix

309 posts
4,060 battles
46 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Time consuming cause you have to go through the game plays while you could play the game for yourself. Lets be honest, WoWS isn't great for spectating. It's pretty boring to watch ships go somewhere, then shoot slowly......

Speaking of those things. Why ships that has been destroyed cannot be sent to the port directly instead of waiting the battle ends? It's boring.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,832 posts
4,110 battles
1 minute ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Speaking of those things. Why ships that has been destroyed cannot be sent to the port directly instead of waiting the battle ends? It's boring.

To stop people spamming games/botting.

112 posts
2,960 battles

I have found streaming much more realistic if you want to learn. You will see good, average and bad games from the same player.

Single replays can be really misleading, and often focus on uncommonly good games. You often learn more from games which don't go well, especially if the opponents are good and small mistakes are highlighted. 

Super Tester
7,539 posts
7,978 battles

Yeah, if you head over to twitch.tv and search for World of Warships, you will see a good number of regular streamers.

Personally i'd recommend Flambass, for both entertainment values and skilled gameplay.

25 posts
4,904 battles

From my experience.

1) Situational and map awareness is key priority. One wrong move will get you sent back to port.

2) There are no such things as teammates, you sail alone from start to end. If a friendly assisted you with utility, praise his action. Team players who support are hard to come by.

3) Polish your aiming to the point that you can hit everything (angled to non) at any range, master this till you can either dev strike a DD close range or land shots on DD +-15km away, I'm not kidding here. (Don't ever think you are safe driving a Khaba in this server)

4) Destroy all enemy DDs FIRST at any cost or opportunity given, never ignore them. They are the team's eyes. Take them out, 70% of the game is yours for the taking.

5) Learn the flow of the battle. Remember High-tier gameplay is slow, miracles can happen. Believe that all hope rest on your shoulders to carry your way to victory. Being a trihard within your means will dictate whether you win or lose. (had a game -3min half of our team overextended by pushing enemy forces, they got wiped out on the left flank. Been called camper while I was advancing on the right (very smart FDG, blaming your mistake for overextending on others, very normal), got reported, didn't bother me, rest of our forces managed to turn the tide fighting against a disadvantage, being outnumbered, like 2 red DDs vs 1 friendly shima, he was a smarter player than those 2 red DD brains combined)

6) Making the right decision one step at a time, be 3 steps ahead of your enemy. This is tough, all depends on your battle hardened experience, RNG and your luck. Sometimes you can foresee the inevitable like losing, and you lost. Learn why you lost, look yourself in the mirror and ask "am I a poitato?", then comes self reflection. Suck up those tears and move on to a fresh new match.

7) RNGesus isn't your god. Be your own God and take control of your destiny. Ok I'm kidding.

Edited by BLOODSHOTNIPPLES

112 posts
2,960 battles

Basic skills are the building blocks. I've found switching ships too much makes it hard to get that feel for aiming. I go a lot better when I play 3 or 4 ships in a session rather than trying to get too many daily bonuses. Plenty of resources to help with this and then its just practise - but review how you are going and try things out to see what impact they have.

This is a map control game, if you improve your teams map control you will very often win, and if you lose it then its going to be a really hard climb back.

Ships which are critical in exerting map control are DDs, CVs and radar CL/A. Taking out these critical targets as early as you can makes a big difference. I got lucky the other day where our CV yoloed a fighter squadron and spotted their CV right at the start of the game. Unfortunately he didn't move and I got a 3 cit dev strike on him with my second salvo from 26km in the NC. He was out of the game within 2 minutes and they never recovered. Our CV ran rampant in that game with spotting them and continually driving them back. Their DDs were punished heavily as soon as they went near the caps. There was glorious teamwork! 

Target selection is important, focusing on one ship until it is killed also helps you get momentum.

It is a relatively slow paced game, mistakes rarely happen suddenly but develop over minutes. It takes time to get into trouble and time to get out of it. Your minimap is your best friend. 

As an aside I've found I use it a lot more than I did in WoT, and going back to tanks my map awareness has gone to another level. I make use of the good mobility a lot more than I did before.

Edit, if you think its bad then please comment why, I am happy to learn!!

Edited by Puggsley

309 posts
4,060 battles
19 hours ago, BLOODSHOTNIPPLES said:

4) Destroy all enemy DDs FIRST at any cost or opportunity given, never ignore them

First of all how do I destroy them? Seriously, they are so hard to hit with BB and I am using it. And that coupled with superb concealment and torps.

25 posts
4,904 battles
On 8/15/2018 at 8:40 PM, mr_glitchy_R said:

First of all how do I destroy them? Seriously, they are so hard to hit with BB and I am using it. And that coupled with superb concealment and torps.

Hmm you have to figure the distance on your own, or learn by experience. Cause it's really tough to teach from one player to another. Try aiming DD around approx 10km or lesser for a start, if their farther focus on other ships.

I can suggest something like every time you log in, spend one or two games in scenario battles before jumping to random matches, aiming is all about trial and error. Mistakes made there can be adjusted correctly. Once practice phase is done, apply it in random.

That's how I learned. Currently narai operation is a good chance. Fuso is a shotgun ship, but it does wonders in that scenario in the right hands. Dev striking broadsiding bots left and right. Eventually you will get a feel of aiming fast japanese cruisers and DDs. Don't give up, you'll eventually get there.

Edited by BLOODSHOTNIPPLES

1,011 posts
7,459 battles
14 hours ago, BLOODSHOTNIPPLES said:

Hmm you have to figure the distance on your own, or learn by experience. Cause it's really tough to teach from one player to another. Try aiming DD around approx 10km or lesser for a start, if their farther focus on other ships.

I would say, that’s situational. Personally I would consider DD’s priority targets. If a DD is spotted and in gun range, I’d try to him him. You may be lucky and disable his engine or rudder. When you start a fire, his spotting range is increased. Even if I drive a BB with AP loaded, I will take a shot at a DD spotted at the other side of the map, if the situation allows. If I take off only 1000 HP that could mean a DD on my team wins a gun fight with him later in the match.

Aiming techniques, I would suggest you switch to dynamic crosshair. That scales for you and that makes aiming easier, IMO.

With dynamic crosshair I have a few rules of thumbs for ship types and tiers, but I generally go by gut-feeling.

There are a number of videos on aiming on Youtube, quite interesting to see people approaches. 

11 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Once DDs are spotted, they aren't really hard to hit.

What he means is that for a great player like him, DD’s are easy to hit.

For most of us plebs DDs are the smallest, fastest and hardest to hit targets and not so easy to hit.

82 posts
2,772 battles
On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 4:21 AM, icy_phoenix said:

Once DDs are spotted, they aren't really hard to hit.

17 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

What he means is that for a great player like him, DD’s are easy to hit.

For most of us plebs DDs are the smallest, fastest and hardest to hit targets and not so easy to hit.

like icy hitting a ball with a tennis racquet..

... me,  the tennis racquet has no strings :Smile_teethhappy: