You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

How to get better in randoms

33 comments in this topic

330 posts
4,099 battles

My career in world of warships has been quite long. But there is one thing that is hard for me to master. And that is random battle. My win rate in this mode are dropping significantly. But as you said win rate is quite unnecessary. In this battle, I always in confusion. If I charge forward, i would die quickly. And if I sitting on the back I didn't contribute much to the team. I also has aiming difficulties which makes it harder. I watch some you tube videos and there are so many tactics to learn. But even so practicing it are quite hard. I don't understand how some players are lucky and got so many broadside target. How did you carry your team and how did you get better RNG? whenever i pray to him, he said 'no'.

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles
1 hour ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

But as you said win rate is quite unnecessary. In this battle, I always in confusion.

Wait, who said that??? He is wrong. Why do you play a team based online arcade game with no story or no character progress apart from winning the matches? That's a lame excuse used by players who do not want to get better. They usually hide behind "We play for fun" wall. The truth is, playing for winning and playing for fun isn't mutually exclusive, quite the opposite in fact.

Like a famous YouTuber often said, you have to be in proper position to be lucky, lucky things just do not automatically happen to you. Which means, in those YouTube videos, you only see the player getting a lot of broadside, but take a closer look at their position, that's the important bits.

This is how I used to collect tactical information. When you watch a game play (be it a video or a replay), try to remember (or even note down if you think that's better) the following combination with the choices players made: (a) map, (b) ship class, (c) spawn position.

From there you can see where he moves, which land mass he uses to block the line of sight, how and when he engages enemy, when he uses his consumables. I'd say, do not try to blindly follow them, but try to explain his choices. By doing this, your mind will learn to observer and explain situation and therefore pick proper actions really fast. This really helps.

I cannot say I am a good player yet, but I started playing DD with a Sims (yes, a premium to start with, which is generally a bad thing to do). Then I watch R3negade playing Sims for 100s of games, and then I got better at her. And after 300 battles in sims, I don't remember when was the last time that I lost in a Sims.

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles
41 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

@RalphTheTheatreCat said that. But don't blame him. It could be a joke.

I'm sure he added something before and after too. Winrate matters less when you already have enough experience with the game. Cause you automatically try to win without concentrating on the thoughts of winning. And winrate matters less when you already have decent WR, for example, anything over 50%. As long as you win more than you lose, it means you have positive influence to the team, else, negative influence.

330 posts
4,099 battles
1 hour ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

When did I say that?

Somewhere in the Newcomers zone and you said. "Don't worry about W/R." or something like that. I could've misunderstood of what you mean.

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles
2 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Somewhere in the Newcomers zone and you said. "Don't worry about W/R." or something like that. I could've misunderstood of what you mean.

Yeah, for new players, they should worry more about learning the ropes.

[SIF]
Super Tester
3,859 posts
4,140 battles
10 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Just citing the comment my itself takes it out of context.

My comment regarding WR was to a new player who asked not to be judged on his win rate with less than 400 games.

Whilst WR is not the ultimate determination of how well you play, as Icy said,  after a large enough number of battles it can show you how you influence a game.    WR that people look at is from random matches so that where the skills need to be developed.   Transitioning from PVE to PVP take a whole new set of skills.  In your case you are concerned over a 52% WR over about 130 games which is miles short of a decent batch size for you to judge your skills.

1,040 posts
7,503 battles
20 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

And that is random battle.

I play since Feb last year and I’m still learning a lot and do a lot of mistakes.

Your stats say you played more than 3600 coop battles and 130-something Radom. In Random, you have a 52% WR overall, 56% WR with BB’s – that’s actually is pretty good. If your WR went down, maybe you just had a streak of lucky wins when you started. If you can maintain 56% with BB’s on the long run, good on you!

Just a few general comments.

There are a few things you can take from coop to Random, for example aiming and the stats of ships you learnt. However, coop is basically a quick race for kills, random games are more complex. You may be a good and experienced coop player, but when you jump from coop into Random, you are no longer good.

In coop, you get away with many manoeuvres that would get you killed quickly in Random. The bots sometimes just leave you alone, even when you show broadside to several ships. Human players are more likely to see the opportunity and citadel you.

You say you have problems aiming, so practice that. There are various techniques, but I think you will find that after a while you figure where to aim to hit ships at pretty much any angle. Sometimes *holding* your fire for a few seconds can make a big difference to the damage you do.

Your OP indicates you have a problem positioning your ship. There is no quick answer to that, unfortunately. You have to keep an eye on the map, where are your team-mates, where the enemy? Who holds what caps? Cap defended, by who, or undefended? Is there a carrier in the game or not? Radar ships? How many DD’s?

As you know, different classes of ships play very differently. But even individual ships of the same class and tier play very differently. Just compare a T6 Nurnberg and a T6 Leander.

To improve, it may help you to stick with one particular ship. Do your study first (Youtube etc) and learn by trial and error.

Then you have to have a good idea what damage your guns can do to the ships you encounter. You have to have a good idea of your and the enemy’s armour scheme. You have to know at what range or angle your AP becomes ineffective. From all that you can decide to load HE or AP, to aim at centre, bow/stern or superstructure – or to hold your fire.

Another thing that is essential to understand for Random is concealment… and how to use modules and captain skills to optimize.

I am a bit of a ship collector and hop a lot between different tiers and ships and that’s probably why my WR sucks, I just don’t take the time to learn one particular ship properly.

My advantage may be that I was into history of naval warfare for years. When I started play WoWS I already had an idea of WW1/WW2 naval tactics, weapon and ammo types.

112 posts
2,960 battles

Its about learning what are the important things to do right throughout the game.

Don't worry so much about WR at an individual game level, you can play really well and still lose, or play really badly and get a win.

But if you find out what consistently helps you get into winning situations, then in the long run you will have a good WR. 

As an example when I play a DD (and they tend to be torp boats or hybrids) my in-game measure of good play is based on:

• cap gameplay (winning or defending caps) and points management (can be easily measured in game).
  • assist damage (can be directly measured in game)
  • how long do I have to wait before firing a decent torp volley (can be easily measured in game)

The first one is my main team job because I can move around the map most easily. If this gets out of control then it is my responsibility to rectify. And it keeps me in the middle areas of the map which helps the other 2 KPIs.

The second one relates to my positioning, am I helping my team enough by being forward enough to put pressure on the enemy?

The third one is related to the second one, am I positioning so that I have decent torp shots. I don't mind a low chance volley (eg firing a volley at a ship I am chasing if I am very close to my concealment range as it will still hassle them and make them manouevre with torps in mind) if there is nothing better to shoot at.

I don't tend to worry about winning an individual game but If I score well on these three measures it more often than not is a win.  

330 posts
4,099 battles
7 hours ago, PeterMoe1963 said:

Your stats say you played more than 3600 coop battles and 130-something Radom. In Random, you have a 52% WR overall, 56% WR with BB’s – that’s actually is pretty good. If your WR went down, maybe you just had a streak of lucky wins when you started. If you can maintain 56% with BB’s on the long run, good on you!

Because I play randoms so rarely. And then i have a question. which one is worth it? Carrying the game for the team and lose or doing a little contribution and win?

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles

Because I play randoms so rarely. And then i have a question. which one is worth it? Carrying the game for the team and lose or doing a little contribution and win?

You did not carry if you did not win. That's not what carrying is. You carry team to victory, not to a loss, or, to an "almost" win.

Little contribution in a win can happen, it means your team was too strong compared to enemy team, and 12 players were an overkill. Nothing you can do about it. Besides, how do you measure a contribution? By damage dealt? Any DD player know that they can influence the game greatly without dealing damage themselves always.

Many players can sense a loss by looking at game progression, then they turn towards damage mitigation mode, so even if they lose, they make sure to attain other stats like damage, kills etc. That's not carrying. As Flambass was saying in one of his streams: Many people will show their great stats in losing games, but they are also reason why team lost for many cases. Cause they did not do the right thing at right time.

If you play high tier, a border hugging yamato can easily get 200k damage and top xp. Does not mean he carried if team loses. He did not do what needed to be done.

Ofcourse there are often exceptions. But as you know, exceptions arent examples. 

Edited by icy_phoenix

330 posts
4,099 battles

@icy_phoenix well I thought that carrying is like doing everything to the team as much as possible without even care if win or loss. Which means that your conclusion is that carrying is doing everything you can to the team that is about to lose and bring back the victory from the enemy team.

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles

@icy_phoenix well I thought that carrying is like doing everything to the team as much as possible without even care if win or loss. Which means that your conclusion is that carrying is doing everything you can to the team that is about to lose and bring back the victory from the enemy team.

Well, not my words only, from urban dictionary

Screenshot_20180813-211144.thumb.png.51f2e3a43743372582278e7dc037dbea.png

260 posts
4,654 battles

Play a few (1-3) ships well (that suits your play style). From there, you will enjoy playing that ship (increase W/R) and realise how to deal with other ships (increase understanding of other ships). As some players answered, there are various stats to indicate your proficiency, (damage, kills, spotting, etc). All these depends on what you play.

For example:

3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

If you play high tier, a border hugging yamato can easily get 200k damage and top xp. Does not mean he carried if team loses. He did not do what needed to be done.

comment: This shows you are good at aiming in Yamato (damage) and good solo player. (but not a team player). You might enjoy this play style, but no one will recommend this normally. (don't spoil random)

Example 2:

"5 kills, but 20k damage in a T10 BB."

comment: You are just kill stealing (low damage vs kill count), bad team player.

comment 2: but sometimes, if your team are focusing fire on someone so that the enemy will die ASAP, then that is called kill securing, but getting 20k for 5 kills in high tier BB is just an extreme case to illustrate kill steal.

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles
1 minute ago, GRADAN31 said:

comment 2: but sometimes, if your team are focusing fire on someone so that the enemy will die ASAP, then that is called kill securing, but getting 20k for 5 kills in high tier BB is just an extreme case to illustrate kill steal.

I always KS. Cause people KS my krakens everyday.

260 posts
4,654 battles
6 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

I always KS. Cause people KS my krakens everyday.

recently I am also going for KS :Smile_hiding: because of the GO NAVY mission.

1,040 posts
7,503 battles
On 8/13/2018 at 9:39 PM, mr_glitchy_R said:

And then i have a question. which one is worth it? Carrying the game for the team and lose or doing a little contribution and win?

What you say doesn't make much sense - that's simply not the choice.

For now don't worry about "carrying the game." Get the basics right. With the basics I mean aiming, reading the map and reacting correctly to what you see on the map, characteristics of ships. That kind of thing.

These things come with experience.

330 posts
4,099 battles

@icy_phoenix I have improved my aiming a little bit and my positioning. But i still has some problems. I couldn't handle the situations where there are so many underrated players. I was in a battle and realize that I am on the top in terms of xp earnings which is ridiculous considering that I was only did like 40k damage. 

Another problem is knowing which flank do I encounter. Sometimes I join a a division that consisted of six allies and facing against like half of mine. But then one division was destroyed by a destroyer. And then I retreat and some of my allies are stupid enough to deal with enemies that slowly increasing (switching flanks). Some of them even reported me, thinking that I am a unicum. And then I realize that all ships are developed equally. It's just the players that needs buff. And they didn't know how. 

Super Tester
7,585 posts
8,005 battles

I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say. However, positioning and flanking skills will develop as you play more and more random battles.

You could watch your own replay to find out what could be done differently, and learning from mistakes.

I assume you were playing lower tiers, well, most low tier players usually do random stuffs since low tiers do not require as much skill and experience as high tiers.

Do not focus on your allied player's mistake, focus on enemy's mistake and capitalize on it.

112 posts
2,960 battles

You were in a scenario with me last night glitchy and from my observation you stayed at really long range in the initial part of the game. Our team took forever to kill the BB and CV with everyone stopping to shoot the cargo ships and ignoring the ships who could damage us.

Maybe look to trade a little health to get a lot more damage onto the important targets?

330 posts
4,099 battles
13 hours ago, Puggsley said:

You were in a scenario with me last night glitchy and from my observation you stayed at really long range in the initial part of the game. Our team took forever to kill the BB and CV with everyone stopping to shoot the cargo ships and ignoring the ships who could damage us.

Maybe look to trade a little health to get a lot more damage onto the important targets?

really? do I use Bayern? if so then you are right. But at that scenario, I was frustrated of that makarov who steal my kill all the time. I was able to do like 30k of damage. Seriously, the makarov were just ruthlessly killing the enemy CV and CA even before I bare my gun to it. I think having too much cruisers in the battle is kind of unfair for BB. 

112 posts
2,960 battles

yep, but there is a stationary BB and CV in the harbour. There is also 2 CL, a DD and a BB in the harbour to shoot. You stayed outside the base making it hard to get damage and kills. As soon as the enemy cargo ships appeared I was the only one shooting the BB and CV, everyone else was switched to the cargo ships. 

That game I got nearly 35k from fires, I was switching back and forth between the BB and the CV at the wharf. I only got that fire damage because so few people were shooting them.

If you have pushed in and engaged at shorter range you would have gotten a lot more damage and probably kills too. 

Slow loading guns will always struggle a bit to get kills against higher RoF guns. Its not about being fair, but doing your job for the team.  

607 posts
7,623 battles
13 hours ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

really? do I use Bayern? if so then you are right. But at that scenario, I was frustrated of that makarov who steal my kill all the time. I was able to do like 30k of damage. Seriously, the makarov were just ruthlessly killing the enemy CV and CA even before I bare my gun to it. I think having too much cruisers in the battle is kind of unfair for BB. 

Scenario is not about getting kills for yourself, is completing the objectives

idk why you are complaining the makarov ruthlessly killing enemy cv and ca, isnt that a sign that the cruiser is doing its job too?

Having too much cruiser is unfair to BB....

What you BBs can offers except durability and gunpower?

Cruiser have the utilities to support you, e.g.spotting of torp earlier and may even save you from different kind of scenario u might be dead

Edited by Gummilicious

2,225 posts
13,751 battles

Just don't focus on capping. It is the least important thing.

p.s this advice needs to be taken in context

Edited by keskparane