Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DFaultPlayR69

Musashi or Alaska

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
70 posts
3,170 battles

I'm pretty much close to getting 750,000 FXP. I was supposed initially get Musashi, but with the announcement of USS Alaska, I'm now confused whether which ship is more worth it. I know Musashi plays more of the traditional BB gameplay, like going bow on and getting citadel nukes on anything. But I'm kinda curious with the Alaska. How does it play, from what I know, it was 305mm guns, so I'm guessing it plays like a cruiser hunter, like Scharnhorst? or can it not brawl close range?

Also how does the two compare in the case of credit gain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
603 posts
7,583 battles

Alaska would be better choice 

It have a turtleback armour scheme

Not bad AA rating

18km of range

 

 

Edited by Gummilicious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
70 posts
3,170 battles
10 minutes ago, Gummilicious said:

Alaska would be better choice 

It have a turtleback armour scheme

Not bad AA rating

18km of range

How does it play though? Is it long range support or more of a close range brawler?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
29 posts
8,328 battles

Use coal to buy the Musashi.  I do play quite a bit but I am half way to having enough coal to get the Musashi.  I feel sorry for the people who use so such hard earned XP, or paid to convert the XP, which could have been used on other things.

To me the price for the Musashi using coal is ridiculously cheap. 

Edited by Jayde2405

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
70 posts
3,170 battles
1 minute ago, Jayde2405 said:

Use coal to buy the Musashi.  I do play quite a bit but I am half way to having enough coal to get the Musashi.  I feel sorry for the people who use so such hard earned XP, or paid to convert the XP, which could have been used on other things.

To me the price for the Musashi using coal is ridiculously cheap. 

Not happening for me, at least until I get the Salem first. If I used the coupon, then I would just be less than 80k away from getting the Salem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
645 posts
3,515 battles

Mushi is preferable choice for BB main players.

But however , save your exp for Alaska. Alaska may be lack of what firepower was but it has the nastiest Dual Purpose Anti Aircraft guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LBAS]
Member
4,468 posts
25,638 battles

American diet editions :Smile_hiding:

Flint is a Mini Worcester

Dallas is a Mini Pensacola

Seattle is a Mini Buffalo

Alaska is a Mini Missouri

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LNA]
Member
1,659 posts
10,430 battles

Wait, you guys are skipping steps here. It wasnt reviewed in which way could you get your hands on Alaska.

It could be a steel reward ship and oh big middle finger to anyone not active in clanwar grind fest.

Or it could be rank 1 reward in which case many of us are still screwed anyway.

It want set in stone that it would be a freemium.

But , using coal to purchase musashi is not wise unless you honestly do not spend a dime on the game. 

Playing. Musashi is like rolling dice. I have games where i one shotted tier 7 bbs and games where i miss 4 5 volleys at 4 or 5 km due to dispersion.

I would save for Salem which is unique.and not a clone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,340 posts
8,832 battles

The Alaska is not out yet so nobody knows how it plays. Why not just wait a while for more information to come out before making a decision?

In any case we don't even how the Alaska can be obtained as of yet.

As for the Musashi, imo it is a bit overpowered for its tier. It is basically a slightly nerfed Yamato at tier 9. If you enjoy Yamato gameplay, then you will like the Musashi.

Otherwise just skip Musashi and go for Alaska, since Musashi's gameplay is nothing unique when you have Yamato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
980 posts
12,617 battles

Musashi is ridiculously strong, so you should get it. 

Alaska also looks like it has a ridiculous armour scheme from ichases videos. 

Depends what u like to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
188 posts
1,716 battles

G"Day OP,

One thing also to remember is that "Alaska" is a "Work in progress". It is very common for WG to make adjustments to WIP content for various reasons. (Game balance for instance). From memory I think this happened with "Musashi". It certainly happened with "Duke of York" which got a bit of a caning from the Beta testers. When she showed up last Christmas, she was/is a fine ship. In my eyes, as good as her Tech Tree counterpart KGV.

Anyways, just another thing to think about.

Cheer's 

Alex

B_T23

P.S. It will be interesting to see what WG do with Jean Bart. That thing looks terrifying. A:cap_fainting: 

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
70 posts
3,170 battles
3 hours ago, Bengal_Tiger23 said:

One thing also to remember is that "Alaska" is a "Work in progress". It is very common for WG to make adjustments to WIP content for various reasons. (Game balance for instance).

 

13 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Wait, you guys are skipping steps here. It wasnt reviewed in which way could you get your hands on Alaska.

It could be a steel reward ship and oh big middle finger to anyone not active in clanwar grind fest.

Or it could be rank 1 reward in which case many of us are still screwed anyway.

It want set in stone that it would be a freemium.

This also made me a bit reluctant to hold the FXP for the Alaska. Yeah, so far no one yet confirms that it would be a 750k FXP premium. It could be like what you said, a Steel reward ship. Really sucks since I'm a solo captain.

 

Another thing that got me thinking is that it might not be my kind of playstyle. When I first heard of the Alaska, I thought it would play a lot like Scharnhorst, but looking at some preview videos, it doesn't seem like it can handle close range brawls, unlike German BBs. Not to mention it having not so good secondaries, oh and the lack of torpedoes. I fear that I might constantly be tricked into playing it like a BB, when it really doesn't tank shells like a real BB.

Also, is it fair that I'm comparing Kronshtadt to Alaska? Aside from the latter having much better AA, looking at their stats, it looks like they are almost the same in their roles. Having thick armor for a cruiser and both having 305mm guns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LNA]
Member
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
15 minutes ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

 

This also made me a bit reluctant to hold the FXP for the Alaska. Yeah, so far no one yet confirms that it would be a 750k FXP premium. It could be like what you said, a Steel reward ship. Really sucks since I'm a solo captain.

 

Another thing that got me thinking is that it might not be my kind of playstyle. When I first heard of the Alaska, I thought it would play a lot like Scharnhorst, but looking at some preview videos, it doesn't seem like it can handle close range brawls, unlike German BBs. Not to mention it having not so good secondaries, oh and the lack of torpedoes. I fear that I might constantly be tricked into playing it like a BB, when it really doesn't tank shells like a real BB.

Also, is it fair that I'm comparing Kronshtadt to Alaska? Aside from the latter having much better AA, looking at their stats, it looks like they are almost the same in their roles. Having thick armor for a cruiser and both having 305mm guns.

The Alaska from what i suspect play a whole lot more like a halfling between a Spee and a DM, you need island to lob your monster shells , as well as cover smaller ship.

Primarily an ambush and abuse ship. This ship is meant to prey on weaker and lower tier ship who cant do anything to it while avoiding same tier or big boys in town.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
70 posts
3,170 battles

Okay, I decided to get the Yamasushi. This is actually my first IJN BB to have. Never had the experience with even the lower tiers, so my first 2 games on the Musashi was utter crap. But here on my 3rd attempt, I think I did okay? The match was composed of mostly tierX with only 2 tierIXs on each team, me being one of those.

Spoiler

shot-18_08.12_17_59.35-0583.thumb.jpg.f15882e834ab8e52acef196652ebe806.jpg

 

Another thing I haven't figured out is what is the optimal range for the Yamasushi to be in? In the battle I was mostly engaging targets of 15-20km. Should I be closer to the enemies or is it suicidal to get less than 15km from the enemy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LNA]
Member
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
33 minutes ago, DFaultPlayR69 said:

Okay, I decided to get the Yamasushi. This is actually my first IJN BB to have. Never had the experience with even the lower tiers, so my first 2 games on the Musashi was utter crap. But here on my 3rd attempt, I think I did okay? The match was composed of mostly tierX with only 2 tierIXs on each team, me being one of those.

  Reveal hidden contents

shot-18_08.12_17_59.35-0583.thumb.jpg.f15882e834ab8e52acef196652ebe806.jpg

 

Another thing I haven't figured out is what is the optimal range for the Yamasushi to be in? In the battle I was mostly engaging targets of 15-20km. Should I be closer to the enemies or is it suicidal to get less than 15km from the enemy?

I have many times been right in the face of enemy CA/CL.

Optimally you want to be within 14-16km so RNG dont screw you , it isnt as accurate as Yamaha Honda.

Also , distance is only part of the calculation. Position also play a part.

Many time i use island to mask myself from view and be a douchebag, firing at suprised island huggers at point blank. If you see no one has vision on you then hell yes go up and start shooting. Use island to mask yourself from getting crossfire and get upclose.

Many are afraid of getting shot by Yamaha shushi do thanks to overmatch mechanic and will run, allowing your team to gain ground.

Bottom line, dont be afraid to be the bully if you see chances to do it. Wimpering around at the back isnt always good. Many time i purposely suicide charge to an island at the beginning to force enemy CA CL away from cap so my dd have chancesto cap point. Esp when they have peepers like DM or Memetaur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LBAS]
Member
4,468 posts
25,638 battles
11 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Alaska cannot be a steel only ship. You wanna know why?

Cause NA will EXPLODE!!!!!

then Jean Bart shall be :cap_horn:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,340 posts
8,832 battles
9 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

I have many times been right in the face of enemy CA/CL.

Optimally you want to be within 14-16km so RNG dont screw you , it isnt as accurate as Yamaha Honda.

Also , distance is only part of the calculation. Position also play a part.

Many time i use island to mask myself from view and be a douchebag, firing at suprised island huggers at point blank. If you see no one has vision on you then hell yes go up and start shooting. Use island to mask yourself from getting crossfire and get upclose.

Many are afraid of getting shot by Yamaha shushi do thanks to overmatch mechanic and will run, allowing your team to gain ground.

Bottom line, dont be afraid to be the bully if you see chances to do it. Wimpering around at the back isnt always good. Many time i purposely suicide charge to an island at the beginning to force enemy CA CL away from cap so my dd have chancesto cap point. Esp when they have peepers like DM or Memetaur.

I play my Yamato and Musashi in a similar manner.

A BB sniping at 20km is of no threat to me when I play my cruisers. But a BB at 15km or less is a very big cause of concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
245 posts
345 battles
6 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

I play my Yamato and Musashi in a similar manner.

They are basically the same class, its like playing Tirpitz the same as Bismarck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LNA]
Member
1,659 posts
10,430 battles
14 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Alaska cannot be a steel only ship. You wanna know why?

Cause NA will EXPLODE!!!!!

And WG never wants that.

I second that.

There is an old saying :

Why not let them eat cakes ? :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,340 posts
8,832 battles
3 hours ago, Shifty_Panzer said:

They are basically the same class, its like playing Tirpitz the same as Bismarck.

I know.

I was saying that I play them in a way similar to that of Legionary's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
207 posts
8,188 battles

Musashi : buy it via coal (in my opinion)
Alaska : just wait NA forum, what will they do if alaska in arsenal or free exp.... :Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×