You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

A more friendly mechanic to newcomers

22 comments in this topic

314 posts
4,081 battles

I just got an idea about some new ways to introduce the game to newcomers.

• So the idea here is. When a newcomers play tier 1 and 2, the aiming mechanic doesn't require lead. The player will just fire at the enemy directly from the aiming mark without leading it. This way they can adapt to the game easier. Once the player reached tier 3, they will be redirected to the training room and a tutorial on how to aim will be provided. But of course not only to broadside target. I see a tips that placed in the battle loading screen can sometimes be pointless. Why? because some players doesn't have enough times to read and understand it. Yes I know there are some videos on You tube but come one guys they are newbies. And one more. A tutorial on how to dodge a torpedoes will be provided.

314 posts
4,081 battles
22 minutes ago, Epicurus_ said:

When was the last time you saw a tutorial released for a game?

Which ones? on the you tube? I do watch them. But not all players know.

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

No tutorials made by the games producer in this case WG, it's not really the sort of thing that they do these days because they are aware that either players ignore them in favor of jumping in and learning as they go or they'll produce a very minimal tutorial but not usually. Besides which introducing a tutorial after a player progresses to tier 3? They didn't do it for CV's so why for any other class that's not going to have as much impact as CV's

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

Rather than not having lead for those first few games, how about showing where the lead should be aimed at?

Then the lead disappears after say, 20 games.

But it ain't gonna happen.

-not having lead means the whole physics engine would have to be reworked...an expensive exercise for such a tiny gain..

314 posts
4,081 battles
4 hours ago, Epicurus_ said:

No tutorials made by the games producer in this case WG, it's not really the sort of thing that they do these days because they are aware that either players ignore them in favor of jumping in and learning as they go or they'll produce a very minimal tutorial but not usually. Besides which introducing a tutorial after a player progresses to tier 3? They didn't do it for CV's so why for any other class that's not going to have as much impact as CV's

Hmm. Yeah. Such as those players who starts the game with Texas right?

3 minutes ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Rather than not having lead for those first few games, how about showing where the lead should be aimed at?

Then the lead disappears after say, 20 games.

But it ain't gonna happen.

-not having lead means the whole physics engine would have to be reworked...an expensive exercise for such a tiny gain..

Nice idea. But I don't know what do you mean 'an expensive exercise for such a tiny gain'

1,342 posts
8,858 battles
4 hours ago, Epicurus_ said:

If you ask me, saying that players would just skip tutorials is just an excuse for developers to be lazy and outsource the teaching process. Why bother trying to teach players how the game works when CCs can do that for free? 

Imo the lack of tutorials is part of the reason for the overall poor quality of the playerbase and low player retention.

New players have great difficulty in learning how to play and either quit out of frustration, or fail their way to the higher tiers where they just be a burden and frustrate their teammates.

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles
10 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Nice idea. But I don't know what do you mean 'an expensive exercise for such a tiny gain'

To remove lead, the entire mechanics of shooting has to be changed. This would be no small cheap thing to do -  an entire overhaul of the engine that controls fall of shot.

It may even be impossible- you fire and your target turns away, the target may have moved up to 100 metres (depending on ship speed ,distance to target etc), yet your shot bends sideways through it's flight path to hit the target.

And for what?   so a couple of players feel good and don't quit?

NB, if players don't understand lead, maybe a shooting game isn't for them??

604 posts
7,594 battles

Lead and Anti-lead is a complete opposite of each other

Just make a tutorial on how to lead and what @AntifoulAwl said. A small aim-assist for newbie

Edited by Gummilicious

314 posts
4,081 battles
2 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

And for what?   so a couple of players feel good and don't quit?

NB, if players don't understand lead, maybe a shooting game isn't for them??

Yes. New players should not rage quit the game in frustration. Installing the game itself took forever and it's disappointed if they are greeted with such difficult situation in the very early games. Although they can contact WG. The WG themselves rarely makes the game easier for newcomers. And I agree with you about the aimbot thingy.

346 posts
7,075 battles

Why not make new players do training before they can play randoms? The game itself wont let a new player join randoms until they have completed the training provided? A driving game called "Driver" used to do this, you had to complete a set of maneuvers before you could start the campaign. 

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles

Uh, look man, we are talking about Human Being here. It will only take one or two shots to realize that you have to lead the gun. Even some birds will understand that after a few trial and error. Not saying I'm against tutorials, I am against too much spoon feeding.

Also, the new players are locked under protected MM. They usually face bots in randoms as well. Only 2-3 human players per side.

Reason why I cannot support the idea of lead indicator implementation is, it soon will be available for everyone via mod. I am sure that is the last thing we need.

346 posts
7,075 battles
20 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Uh, look man, we are talking about Human Being here. It will only take one or two shots to realize that you have to lead the gun. Even some birds will understand that after a few trial and error. Not saying I'm against tutorials, I am against too much spoon feeding.

Also, the new players are locked under protected MM. They usually face bots in randoms as well. Only 2-3 human players per side.

Reason why I cannot support the idea of lead indicator implementation is, it soon will be available for everyone via mod. I am sure that is the last thing we need.

Agree with lead indicator comment, there are enough cheats playing this game as it is! Having something to teach players the basics before they jump in may lead to them enjoying the game more and staying with the game for longer. A larger player base is a bonus for us all.

Edited by dieselhead

314 posts
4,081 battles
3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

Wait. Bots exist in randoms? I never encounter them.

3 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

it soon will be available for everyone via mod

But it was available once then got removed. 

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
28 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Wait. Bots exist in randoms? I never encounter them.

Just start a new account and see for yourself. Your service record needs to be under level 8 (I believe) to have protected MM.

Super Tester
7,548 posts
7,993 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

Fancy YouTube videos are no substitute for actual, well-planned tutorials.

IMHO, tutorials are wasted efforts. Most gamers in any other games just ignores tutorials. Most big titles like DotA, CS, etc have no tutorials as well. All WoWs needs is a good collections of videos explaining mechanics, some good samples on map and class tactics, and that should be enough.

At least WG is now making the "how it works" series. When we started.. there was absolutely nothing.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
358 posts
7,415 battles

I meant in game tutorials not extra source, It's fine that they have it and all but it's not in game and it's only going to be viewed by those who wish to see it.

1,011 posts
7,473 battles
On 8/12/2018 at 1:17 AM, mr_glitchy_R said:

So the idea here is. When a newcomers play tier 1 and 2, the aiming mechanic doesn't require lead.

Haha, seriously?

Leading is a concept everywhere in life when you try to hit a moving target.

I’m totally and utterly against it.