Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mr_glitchy_R

My 32 bit windows cannot handle WoWS

15 comments in this topic

319 posts
4,084 battles

So lately, i has some unexpected crashes. After asking WG support staff, they said that the crash was due to the RAM. They said that 32bit doesn't fit with 4GB of RAM. They also provided me with a program that will decrease the usable RAM to 3. However changing it are irreversible. Yes it can be reversible but I must using the same exact program. I was afraid and worried that what if the program will be deleted acidentally? So i'm here to ask is there anyway to fix this without any risk?

Super Tester
7,557 posts
7,993 battles

That is correct, you cannot utilize over 3GB of memories with 32 bit windows. You can read more about this here: 3 GB Barrier

What CPU are you using? If that can handle 64 bit OS, just install 64 bit version.

However, you remind me of this old meme

windows-meme.jpg.19be1a68f480a1e142973165270a0e39.jpg

:cap_haloween:

320 posts
4,672 battles

Just 'cause the game .exe is 32 bit doesn't mean you won't benefit from moving to a 64 bit OS. Your OS has to run the game, the WG update center, and 80 or so background Windows processes and utilities. This is much more efficiently done from a 64 bit address space and 8+ GB RAM, even if the game itself only uses 2-3 Gb.

It does suggest though that adding RAM in excess of 4 GB won't make much difference to the game performance.

Super Tester
7,557 posts
7,993 battles
5 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

It does suggest though that adding RAM in excess of 4 GB won't make much difference to the game performance.

It actually does. More ram means you can have more assets stored in RAM at any given time instead of having them to be swapped out to disk space. Although can't be done with 32 bits windows.

67 posts
1,372 battles

A 32 bit program can not access more than 4G of RAM.

But to avoid crash, it require more than 4G of RAM and a 64 bit OS.

67 posts
1,372 battles

The available memory has more to do with what other program are running on your system at the same time with WOWS. 64bit OS would only give you a bigger buffer. 

There was this thing called the pagefile (swap space), It would slow down thing but it will help to give warning and reduce out of memory crash

My WOWS usual memory foot print are around 2G. and My Graphics Card has its own memory.

The last time I report my crashing problem to WG,  first they blamed the custom camou Mod I used,  then they asked me to switch back and forth between DirectX 9 and 11. and after all, They never forget to state the crashes were not cause by WG.  I just felt a total waste of time with them 

348 posts
7,089 battles

In my experience WoW's is a buggy platform compared to other games I've played. Even old games were less prone to crashing and random DC's than this game. Apparently the WoT's engine is much better but IDK if its more stable or if any plans are around to migrate WoW's to it.

67 posts
1,372 battles

Before spending any money to upgrade your system, There are many places in MS Windows that can confirm whether the system is really low in Memory.

1. Windows will show warnings when it is low in memory, or even low in virtual memory.
  2. Event viewer system or application log will show memory allocation failure.
  3. Task manager can show memory usage in sorted orders
  4. Performance Monitor can enable system performance data collection set which keeps history of system resource consumptions

OutOfMem.png

memoryallocationError.png

320 posts
4,672 battles
22 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

It actually does. More ram means you can have more assets stored in RAM at any given time instead of having them to be swapped out to disk space. Although can't be done with 32 bits windows.

WoWS is a 32 bit app so it can't store more than 3 GB's worth of assets in memory no matter how much RAM you have installed, even with 64 bit Windows. For a single application to access more than 3 GB, both the application and the operating system must be 64 bit.

Super Tester
7,557 posts
7,993 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

WoWS is a 32 bit app so it can't store more than 3 GB's worth of assets in memory no matter how much RAM you have installed, even with 64 bit Windows. For a single application to access more than 3 GB, both the application and the operating system must be 64 bit.

While 32 bits windows cannot allocate more than 3 GB ram, but applications have ways to increase addressing capabilities when OS isn't the bottleneck. I could go into much more details but I think WoWS forum won't be the best place to do so.

Take a look.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5916959/can-a-32-bit-program-use-more-than-4gb-of-memory-on-a-64-bit-os

Edited by icy_phoenix

67 posts
1,372 battles
20 hours ago, icy_phoenix said:

While 32 bits windows cannot allocate more than 3 GB ram, but applications have ways to increase addressing capabilities when OS isn't the bottleneck. I could go into much more details but I think WoWS forum won't be the best place to do so.

Take a look.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5916959/can-a-32-bit-program-use-more-than-4gb-of-memory-on-a-64-bit-os

If you talking about 32 bit OS or application to access 64 bit memory address space. 32 bit windows is definitely NOT the bottleneck here. 32 bit Windows can be extended to use 16 to 64G of memory, but it is up to the 32 bit application be awared and made used of the 64 bit memory addressing features.

Memory address extension was an old technology long available since 16 bit DOS time (ie, 32 bit DOS extension). Intel CPU has build-in 64 bit address extension support (called  Physical Address Extension --PAE), which was available as an extension on Win 2000 (32 bit) and after.  and PAE enabled MS windows to address 16G ~ 64G of memory. RAMDISK was one of the early application made used off the PAE feature.

PAE is exactly what described here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5916959/can-a-32-bit-program-use-more-than-4gb-of-memory-on-a-64-bit-os

However, 64 bit memory extension are still 32 bit but with special address schemes (paging segment etc) ,  and applications need to be made specially to use them. and this kind of program are not real 64 bit applications.  they are not even normal 32 bit programs and more problematic to run on a full 64 bit OS.

Sign in to follow this